PDA

View Full Version : I AM FED UP WITH

mushpea
19-12-2010, 03:59 PM
MINDEES BREAKING TOYS AND NOT CARRING:angry: and they are the school age children so old enough to know better!
so far since september i have had a toy buggy, toy cot, leap pad and various other bits and peices broken,, puzzle peices lost and game peices lost cause the dont put them back in their boxes. I try and be with them as much as possible to watch them but I have to feed baby and do other stuff in the kitchen whilst they play in the lounge and conservatory. the thing that gets me the most is that it dosent bother them,
so how would you go about getting them to look after things better?
need some ideas on how to end up with less stuff broken please,,

miffy
19-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Are the toys being broken accidentally or on purpose?

Have you gone through with the children how you expect them to care for your toys - not throw them, stand on them and put them away once finished with etc?

If things don't improve then limit what is out and only allow them to exchange a toy for something else when they can show you they've put the original thing away properly.

Sadly I think some children simply aren't taught how to look after things or any respect for others possessions.

Miffy xx

Daftbat
19-12-2010, 04:13 PM
I am firm about what i expect from the older children and ask them to respect things in my home in general, iof they are not showing respect for equipment I take it away from them and explain why - they generally learn quite quickly Most of the older children have been with me for years and have grown up knowing what to expect but others who have joined have been good in general and I have no real problems.

I did have an experience over the October half term when two boys broke a ds belonging to another - a moment or two of silly behaviour - they soon learnt when it cost their parents to replace the item and I also got them to write a letter of apology to the boys mum. Oh and I banned ds's too!

mushpea
19-12-2010, 04:43 PM
3 of the chilren have been with me 2.5yrs and 1 since september,, the 3 r term time only but certainly know the rules and what i expect of them,,, I sat them all down the other week and said what had been broken and that i would not be replacing those toys and that if they carried on breaking them they would have nothing left to play with but i may as well been talking to the wall cause they were just not bothered at all,, I have also banned the 3 from the wii as if i cant trust them with the other toys then i certianly cant trust them nnot to break the wii controlers as for the new child they havent yet asked to go on the wii so will deal with that when it happens.
they really just dont seem to care about their actions
as for ds's they are allowed to bring their own but they play on them and arent allowed to share them,,, I also have a disclamer stating that i will not be held responsible for damages cause to their properties