PDA

View Full Version : For those who mid school age children

vix84
18-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Hiya, I am mum to 2 and a half year old DS and 6 week old DS, I childminded for under 5's before maternity leave but am looking at taking on school age when I return but havent done much work with this age.

Just wondering what resources you have in for this age, what they do after school and in holidays all day?
I dont want to cook meals this time due to costs and logistics really, does anyone else not provide meals or food at all?

Just wondered if there is anything else I should consider, or need to know when thinking of taking on older children?

Thanks

miffy
18-12-2010, 08:29 PM
My after-schoolers like to do crafts or play on the computer, some like board games, role-play and dressing up, lego or similar, den building.

I provide food so can't help you with that.

Miffy xx

vix84
18-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks for your reply, I have most of those things but guess a few more games would be good :)

miffy
18-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks for your reply, I have most of those things but guess a few more games would be good :)

I'd try charity shops or car boots for those - I don't pay a lot and then you can change them often when the children get fed up.

Miffy xx

mrs_scottydog
18-12-2010, 10:08 PM
I have a 6yr old mindee but mainly he just likes to draw or colour. I've bought a few games from charity shops and NCT sales and we've done a few activities like baking, crafts etc.
As for meals, I only have him here for an hour so I offer him a drink and if my DS is having a snack he will join him but not everyday. I am quite bad though as my mindee doesn't have always have a drink or snack I don't charge his parents or put it through my accounts.
Not sure I've been that helpful to you? Hx

Chimps Childminding
18-12-2010, 11:32 PM
I find that after school most want to just chill for a bit. Usually colouring is out if they want to do some, or games, lego (construction sets), dressing up, role play, maybe playing on a wii or such like if you have one?

I don't supply meals, parents send something for me to heat through or they have cooked dinner at school and bring sandwiches to have at mine!!

suzyblue
19-12-2010, 09:16 AM
I have recently taken on a few more after schoolies and they eat me out of house and home! Not doing food is a GOOD idea but as I have always done meals I dont feel I can stop.

They love art and craft things but that gets expensive as they can get through all your carefully thought out crafts in five minutes. Hama beads have been great and the girls love these. For the boys I bought a castle and lots of knights (of course the girls play with this too) I also bought the small lego and the boys spend ages building vehicles and other intricate models.

I have also put a dvd player in the play room for desperate times!

Going to charity shops is a great idea and Im always looking for bargains.

manjay
19-12-2010, 09:30 AM
I don't provide an evening meal as it just doesn't work for my family. All my mindees leave before 5pm now so it isn't an issue. Maybe that is something to consider when taking a child on. It's not really fair to have a child til say 6.30pm without them having something to eat.

Activities: small world, jigsaws, computer, wii, cars, lego, craft, board games, dressing up, outdoor play, in fact anything really:D

Louise0208
19-12-2010, 10:45 AM
my after schoolie (6) isnt really interested in a lot to be honest, i have an older son myself & as LO doesnt have any siblings he loves 'hanging out' with my son (thankfully my son is a good role model....only a few bad habits :rolleyes: ) its usually beyblades, cbbc on the internet or xbox, hes just not interested in arts, crafts or toys while my lad is about.

i give the option to provide food as we have our dinner around 4.30 anyway (partner works shifts & kids have sports clubs they need to be at later) My kids would be chewing there own legs off if i made them wait till after work to eat.

i did give the above LO's mum the oppertunity to send her own healthy food for the first few weeks but she was sending plates of nuggets, soggy chips, pizza, micro meals, pot noodles etc which imo was not Acceptable every day so i started doing his food myself :thumbsup:

Lady Haha
19-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I only look after schoolies! As said before, computer, wii, lego, crafts etc. In holidays, I take them out every day for a few hours or they would go out of their minds with boredom! It can be costly, but you have to weigh up the pros and cons.

I offer a really good service which includes cooked meals and really good outings a couple of times a week in hols (other days can be the park or something!). I charge £8.00 for after school til 6pm and £25.00 per day in hols and these fees cover all food and outings.

If I charged more or did less, I think parents would choose much cheaper holiday clubs. One local to me is £15.00 per day so I'm still a tenner more!

Its the 'downside' of choosing to care for schoolies only, but on the plus side, all the food and outings costs are expenses (including your own entry costs, coffees etc while out!).

Mrs Pootle
19-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I have an after schoolie & I don't do a meal, it just doesn't fit with my family. I provide a drink & friut when we get in from school, and they like to play board games, draw & colour, lego and with the cars.

mushpea
19-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I have after schoolies and dont do meals, they have a snack when the get in from school,, ususaly a peice of fruit followed by a biscuit if they eat their fruit,,,,, as for toys I am thinking of not bothering anymore cause I have had so many broken,,, ususaly i provide stuff like bratz,, box of action figures,, army toys,,leap pad, lego etc then they play on the wii if i feel i can trust them to be sensible with it and watch tv,,, they also like drawing and arts and crafts,,
best thing is when they come visit ask them what they ususal do after school and what they like to do.
as for the hols,, we normaly go out for a while to a park of a walk in the woods or somthing similar to break up the day.

vix84
19-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks everyone, all the replies have been useful.
I suppose I was wondering how older children would fit in with the babies and toddlers, but I guess they will just do as they please and can sit at the table for activities that aren't suitable for the younger ones.

I did provide all meals etc. before but found parents came early and I didnt like sitting there eating my meal while they waited, or scoffing it down before they came so I only had to cook once.

I will say if they want to send in snacks/meals or bread etc. I can always do them a toastie to keep them going if here till 6pm.
I was always starving after school so would have preferred to have a sarnie/toast at 340pm and then a meal at 615pm when home.

I think it will be nice to have some older ones especially for my DS who will be 3, ideally fro the school he will go to :)