PDA

View Full Version : Kids In Kitchen?

aly
15-04-2008, 12:04 PM
I don't like my own children in the Kitchen especially if I'm cooking, basically they can get in the cupboards and if I'm not looking my little 3yo monster - i mean :littleangel: helps himself....

Anyway the question is, do I have to allow mindees [when reg'd of course] access to the kitchen?

It's a tiny kitchen and no room to swing a cat - not that I would ;)
so would ofsted expect me to allow them in there??
I have a stairgate in the doorway so they can't get in :thumbsup::thumbsup:

thanks

Kelly
15-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I think if you explain just what you have said here, Ofsted would be happy that children do not have access, they may ask would you give access for cooking etc. I personally do use my kitchen, but it is my prefered messy play room, otherwise the children would not go in there.

Kelly

ma7ie
15-04-2008, 12:16 PM
You can choose anywhere you want the children to go and not to. I have a stair gate in the door to my kitchen and the children only go in there to gain access to the back garden and wash their hands. The rest of the time the gate is shut. We do all our messy activities in the living/dining room which has more room.

mum22
15-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi

I have a baby gate to my kitchen, and they only have access when im there - i use my kitchen for messy play, they help cook and also have the blackboard in there for them to draw whilst i prepare meals - also the table is in there where we eat meals. i do have locks on all cupboards on lower levels and make sure the doors to the washing machine and dishwasher are always closed - you'd be amazed at what finds its way in otherwise...:panic:

x:)
Helen

sarah707
15-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Children have to walk through mine to get to the downstairs loo... and they all really enjoy taking it in turns to help me when I'm preparing their food, plus after-schoolers usually made pudding for tea supervised... so mine is used throughout the day. I have steps for them to stand on and aprons for them to wear and locks on anything dangerous...

I can understand your concern if it's a small room... can they help you prepare snacks at a low table in their play area if you get everything together on a tray first? You would still be fulfilling the requirements for teaching them about healthy eating etc while showing you have considered and rejected your kitchen as a safe area. :D

Rubybubbles
15-04-2008, 12:29 PM
We don't use the kitchen unless doing cooking activites! I have a stair gate on it at all times when working:thumbsup:

manjay
15-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't like my own children in the Kitchen especially if I'm cooking, basically they can get in the cupboards and if I'm not looking my little 3yo monster - i mean :littleangel: helps himself....

Anyway the question is, do I have to allow mindees [when reg'd of course] access to the kitchen?

It's a tiny kitchen and no room to swing a cat - not that I would ;)
so would ofsted expect me to allow them in there??
I have a stairgate in the doorway so they can't get in :thumbsup::thumbsup:

thanks

Not sure you would get OFSTED coming to visit you in South Wales but CSSIW will want to know how you keep children safe. My mindees have free access to mine as it has a big floor space and we eat and do messy play at the table. My house is fairly open plan so I can see them all of the time. I explained how the little ones would be strapped in chairs whilst I was using the hob and how all cleaning stuff was in a locked cupboard. BUT if you don't want them in there that's fine

tulip0803
15-04-2008, 12:38 PM
I am going to use mine for supervised messy play. I have cupboard and drawer locks and the bit where the washing machine/freezer/tumble drier is will have a safety gate over. Medicines and cleaning stuff are stored in locked cupboards. They won't be allowed in when I am not with them as I have a catch at the top of the door.

Even if you are not going to allow access to the children you will have to show that if they did get in there they will be safe, which will probably mean cupboard and drawer locks anyway. You will also have to think about how you will ensure the safety of the children whilst you are preparing any food/ bottles in the kitchen.

I will have the children at the table in safety seats if needed for cooking activities whilst I am preparing their food they will help.

As Manjay says CSSIW inspect in Wales not OFSTED. OFSTED is only for England.

Noodles
15-04-2008, 01:34 PM
My mindees are allowed in the kitchen and if i am cooking (which at the moment i dont have to do) they are still allowed in. I was told that using a stairgate isnt always the best option because whilst you are in the kitchen what are the mindees doing. At least you can watch them if they are with you:)

ma7ie
15-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I was told that using a stairgate isnt always the best option because whilst you are in the kitchen what are the mindees doing. At least you can watch them if they are with you:)

Mine are usually stood at the stair gate shouting "what are you doing" constantly.:laughing:

At my pre-reg inspection the inspector just said that as long as you keep popping your head round to check on them and you weren't cooking a full roast dinner there would be no problem. However my kitchen is ajoining my living room/dining room so may be if you have a hallway dividing you there might be a problem.:D

Pauline
15-04-2008, 01:48 PM
My kitchen is out of bounds too, unless children are with us for supervised activities, such as preparing food, cooking etc. they are never allowed in there alone.

They don't need to go in as they can access the garden from the conservatory.

I explain this in my policies, many parents think it is great as they don't like their children in their own kitchen.

:)

jaja
15-04-2008, 06:38 PM
i have a stair gate up but i used my kitchen alot for messy play and cooking sessions, plus the kids enjoy preparing there own dinner too, xx

Minnie Minx
15-04-2008, 06:41 PM
mine will have to through my kitchen to get to the bathroom/loo so i'll just have to put locks on the cupboard and buy a cooker guard for when i'm cooking tea

xx

Lottie
16-04-2008, 11:21 AM
My kitchen is out of bounds too, unless supervised. I have a stair gate across the kitchen so the little nipper's won't be able to get in there. I am quite fortunate though that my kitchen leads into the dining room, so they can still participate in baking etc but from a safe distance.