PDA

View Full Version : Hey i want to get the best grade i can any tips

staciew1985
15-04-2008, 11:44 AM
hello all im really wanting to impess ofsted when they come and show them what i do with the children but i feel that i dont realy know what they look for or wanna c etc: i wanna get outstanding or do u think they wudnt grade me that on 1st inspection any tips would be apppreicated. and also noticed someone said about preparing luch and would you ask inspector to join. I dont get the children to help me with lunch mine i have in day are 20 months and 17 months do u think i shud be doing this i put plates on table and water and they help themselves with assistance obviously am i doing this wrong??

angeldelight
15-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Only you can impress Ofsted Stacie by showing what YOU can do so our advice may not help

I am sure you have everything under control though - and of course they give outstanding if its your first inspection
If you feel confident to go for it then do it I am sure you will be ok

They need to see that all your paper work is up to date
Need to know you interact with the children
What about nappy changes and toilet do you explain to the children about washing their hands etc

Children helping with lunch - well I have children the same age and no they dont really help - they hinder more haha dont forget to wash hands etc also again

I am sure you could find some other activities to do with them when she is there though

Heaps of information in the forum as you know so Im sure you will find heaps of good tips here

We all do things different though Stacie so do not worry most of it is plain old common sense

Good luck

Angel xx

sarah707
15-04-2008, 12:34 PM
It's hard when you really want to impress the inspector, but the best advice I was given from a friend was not to do anything different to normal.

If you normally sit children down with food, then maybe start encouraging them to choose some fruit from a shared bowl, so the inspector can see you are giving them free choice, but don't start anything too different or you'll end up with children who don't understand what's happening.

Wanted to say good luck as well! :D

mumtodaniel
15-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Like Sarah said be yourself. I had mine yesterday and did just that. The kids were great and to be honest didn't take any notice of her being there. I got one outstanding and four goods which I was very happy about. I would not put too much pressure on yourself, but you can get some very good ideas from this forum and a lot of support from people on here.

Good luck

miffy
15-04-2008, 07:14 PM
You could always look at the inspection reports for those childminders who got outstanding in your area to see the sort of things the inspectors are looking for but it's still a lottery imho

Good luck to you

miffy xx

deeb66
15-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Good luck.....I hope all goes well

ChocolateChip
17-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I was about to say the same as Miffy, to look at other reports, especially the ones from your inspector once you know who it is.
My advice is to just think about everything and have back up plans, e.g I keep alcohol rub in my nappy box in case my little ones need supervising and I can't go out of the room to wash my hands, my inmspector seemed impressed with that.
I managed to get outstanding (with a lot of help from everyone on here!) so I'm sure you can too!
Go for it, good luck :thumbsup:

Little Poppins
18-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Hi Stacie,

I had my first inspection Wednesday and she told me that what she liked was the fact that I was still playing and interacting with the child like I normally would if she was not there. The inspector said one of the mistakes people do is think they have to sit with the inspector to go through the questions, doing this the inspector does not see how you interact with the children and will often lead to them getting a lower grade.
They will be very hot on your policies, health, hygiene and safety for the children.
My inspector came at 11.00 which over ran into lunch so I just told her what we were having and if she wanted some, she declined but it doesnt hurt just to ask.
Like everyone has said if they think you are outstanding you will get that grade. I know its quite daunting when it is your first inspection I was very nervous before mine came, I had stomach ache etc as I did not know what to expect. When my inspector arrived she was very nice and immediatley I felt at ease and carried on as normal.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Zoe
x

angeldelight
18-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks for sharing that information Zoe and well done for getting through your inspection

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
18-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Try not to worry too much about it otherwise you will work yourself up into a stew!

There is tons of advice and information and tips around the forum.

Start with your basics, get them right and then see where you can go from there to improve on it without getting too elaborate (otherwise you end up spending more time on that then caring for the children)

Some good advice already given so good luck