PDA

View Full Version : baby talk

julie w
17-12-2010, 11:00 PM
I have been minding a little boy aged 2 1/2 for a few weeks. He comes from a well educated family and his language development is fantastic for his age. His mum explained she hates any kind of baby talk and insists on talking to him as you would an adult. That is fine, and it works because as I said his speech and grammar are really good. However she was so distressed last night because when they went shopping her son asked for his 'juicy' which is what one of my 2 year olds calls his drinks beaker. She said he has started to use some baby words like doggy and birdie and she doesnt want that. I do understand where she is coming from and I do try to speak correctly to my children, but I cant help him picking up these words from my other mindees. I don't really use baby talk but some words children just grow up with and naturally progress into adult talk. Not quite sure how I can stop this.

Vickster
17-12-2010, 11:03 PM
You can't stop it, all you can do is say to Mum that if he says the words you will correct it. She can't stop outside influences, she will have a break down when he starts school.

wendywu
17-12-2010, 11:19 PM
This will happen where ever he is. They all do it, but you dont see many adults saying ' oh look at the birdie' so they do grow out of it :laughing:

Louise B
17-12-2010, 11:25 PM
This will happen where ever he is. They all do it, but you dont see many adults saying ' oh look at the birdie' so they do grow out of it :laughing:

:laughing: So true! lol.

That is a bit over the top of her, I haven't used many baby words with mine, although probably guilty of saying "there's a horsey". But every day things, I use the right words. Kids do hear others using different words and they copy. Like mentioned before, she will be horrified when they start school! That's when they learn REAL adult words! :laughing:

xx

ORKSIE
17-12-2010, 11:29 PM

abso flamin lutely:thumbsup:

im off to me beddy bies now...nitey nite lubs you all :D

xx

There is always one aint there :D

angeldelight
17-12-2010, 11:37 PM

xx

Well you cant gag the other children - imagine that :eek: :eek:

Yep there is always one ha ha

Sweet dreams orks have a good weekend xxx

wendywu
17-12-2010, 11:52 PM
just say.........silly billy mumsy wumsey, der widdle bubby will gibber gabber all daysy long when hes biggy wiggy.

So give it a rest :rolleyes:

angeldelight
17-12-2010, 11:53 PM
just say.........silly billy mumsy wumsey, der widdle bubby will gibber gabber all daysy long when hes biggy wiggy.

Imagine her face at that ha ha

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Twinkles
17-12-2010, 11:55 PM

xx

Yes ! Yes there is Hairy Scarey one but why is it always YOU :p

ORKSIE
17-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Yep there is always one ha ha

Sweet dreams orks have a good weekend xxx

Noit noit Angel....You too xx

mayberry
18-12-2010, 07:22 AM

love to see her face ;)

julie w
18-12-2010, 05:41 PM

best answer yet, thank you.xxxx:D

Alibali
18-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Do you know, I feel really sorry for Mum, I can understand where she's coming from, but they are young for such a short period of time, where's the harm in a bit of baby talk?

acorns
18-12-2010, 08:05 PM
she's gonna freak when he starts pre school, wonder what she'll do when he hears and repeats a 'naughty word'.
3yo has just started telling me & dad to 'shut up':eek: could be worse, but we certainly never say it to her or each other. So it is an outside influence (or my 11yo ds). we have been saying that it makes us sad when she uses those words and it would be better to say' be quiet please'. She is learning, as this morning she told her brother (who was only singing) 'shut up, be quiet please':) so we are getting there!

miffy
18-12-2010, 08:21 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If she thinks it's bad now she'll never cope when he gets to school and learns some choice language!

Miffy xx

Chell
18-12-2010, 09:12 PM
I don

't believe in teaching children 'baby talk' but my eldest two picked it up at nursery. :angry: :laughing:

DD2 was two in August, I started childminding in March this year. She started to say doggie as I minded a five year old who carried a toy dog which she called her doggie.

It was actually my DD (5yrs) and DS (7yrs) who put a stop to it. DD2 started saying doggie as she was copying the mindee (age 5!). DD1 and DS told mindee that it was a baby word and that DD2 is only two yet she doesn't use it. :laughing: