PDA

View Full Version : Before school only - activities

Fraggle1
15-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Hello

Wonder if any of you lovely childminders can advise?

I am looking after a little girl who is 6 and she is only with me for about 15-20 mins before school....most of the time I will sort an activity that can stretch over a couple of days cause we don't really have much time (which is a shame) anyway....my question is - do you ALWAYS have an activity planned for the older 'before schoolies' or do you sometimes just let them watch TV? Don't want to be burning myself out trying to constantly think of idea's which fit into 15 mins.....

Thanks for your advice in advance :) xx

glitzygal
15-12-2010, 11:16 PM
i have a 4 yr old, he plays on his own, i also get crafts ready for him in morning,,but sometimes he is late so is only with me 15 mins, so as long as they are rady then he does them, he dosent ask for tv, if he did i would let him.
it really isnt enough time to do much, i am getting lunch box ready.

i will look out for replies for ideas to,,

Fraggle1
15-12-2010, 11:20 PM
It's nice to know that someone else is doing the same :) Just wasn't sure whether is was acceptable to just have the TV on sometimes, I know I have it on for my boys whilst I run around in the morning so it is on, but I do enjoy doing an activity aswell.....yesterday we started some Hama bead christmas decorations and they finished them off today, also did Reindeer dust and poem on monday and am getting them to decorate 'the night before christmas' poem tomorrow before I laminate it and put a hanger on.....love this time of year! I think just sometimes I may just leave play doh out or colouring things cause at the moment I am always there 'entertaining' if you know what I mean, and I want her to feel comfortable enough to just play with whats there :) xx

glitzygal
15-12-2010, 11:37 PM
It's nice to know that someone else is doing the same :) Just wasn't sure whether is was acceptable to just have the TV on sometimes, I know I have it on for my boys whilst I run around in the morning so it is on, but I do enjoy doing an activity aswell.....yesterday we started some Hama bead christmas decorations and they finished them off today, also did Reindeer dust and poem on monday and am getting them to decorate 'the night before christmas' poem tomorrow before I laminate it and put a hanger on.....love this time of year! I think just sometimes I may just leave play doh out or colouring things cause at the moment I am always there 'entertaining' if you know what I mean, and I want her to feel comfortable enough to just play with whats there :) xx

Thats ok, as there isnt much time, its all we can do,, i will do play doh in new year when all the crafty things are done, and then, there wont be so many things to do, glad im not the only one,lol:laughing:

mama2three
15-12-2010, 11:44 PM
My older mindee has his own box of bits which he can dip into whenever he likes - it has his scrapbook which he likes to update , a few ongoing crafty things and a few other things. Ive always set up the toys and activities for the day which he can do , but he has this added option too.

claireLouise
16-12-2010, 01:22 AM
I have a wee boy who is 6 and he is more than than happy to play with my two children in the morning. He also brushes his teeth here which makes hiom feel part of our morning routine.

Best Wishes

Claire

Penny1959
16-12-2010, 05:01 AM
I have a craft trolley including colouring sheets, that before schoolies can access, - TBH though usually mine (7) just wonders looking at toys already set up for day (and sometimes plays with them) - or asks for toast, or checks his spellings / reads his school reading book.

Penny :)

Fraggle1
16-12-2010, 09:27 AM
oh I like the idea of their own box of stuff....the scrap book is a fab idea! Think I will get some things done and ready for the new year - thanks :)

singlewiththree
16-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I have the TV on before school as we only have 15 minutes and in that time I'm getting little ones into full snow suits so couldn't help with the craft.

Happy Bunny
16-12-2010, 10:34 AM
I leave paper and pens on the kitchen table for them or it's the front room and the tv.
It's chaotic in the morning getting my own ones ready, breakfast for them all and having children turn up at different times without having to do a set activity.

Blemblem
16-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi, I agree in the mornings there isnt enough time to do crafts. I have puzzles, colouring books and also a DS for them to play with. They come in at different times and they decide themselves what they want to do.

Merry Christmas everyone!

mamasheshe
16-12-2010, 12:59 PM
i don't organise an activity just do free play, sometimes we put the telly on .:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sillysausage
16-12-2010, 08:58 PM
We too have free play. A variety of craft materials are available as part of my continuous provision and I do vary these. Generally I am tied up with sorting out breakfast, clearing away and then getting everyone ready for school.

Louise0208
19-12-2010, 02:07 PM
my house is bedlam before school as i hav 4 kids of my own to organise, i only have a beore schooler 1 day a week for 15 mins & its the TV or every day toys....or nothing :blush:

the kids would be late if i had to do before school activities :o

maisiemog
20-12-2010, 01:46 PM
We dont really do anything in the mornings. I tend to just have the colouring stuff out, usually with some stickers or something to make it a bit more interesting.

Mornings are absolute madness in our house though so doing anything too structured and planned would be an absolute nightmare!!!