PDA

View Full Version : Advertising

Vikkileeds
15-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi...

I am pre reg awaiting my visit from ofsted and for CRBs to be cleared.

I have ordered 1000 business cards and am wondering when is the best time to post them, I am hoping to be up and running from March but I am suddenly worried I aint going to get any mindees!!!

Any tips on best places to advertise??

sarah707
15-12-2010, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't do anything until you are sure you have an ok from Ofsted and your CRB check is clear.

Unfortunately things can take a long time and you wouldn't look very professional if parents were signed up and you had to let them down.

I would have a chat with the Ofsted inspector at your pre-reg and see what their latest thinking is too.

Good luck with it all :D

mufftie
15-12-2010, 07:46 PM
to be honnest i have foud advertising a bit of a waste of time , by all means hand your cards out but , most enquieries come from the government website or ive also found the childcare.co.uk website very good aswell as netmums , if youve got young children of your own then let it known what your doing at play groups or school where you drop of and take to , as i get a lot of enquieries in the school playground from people just seing me , i do have a spare wheel cover with my advert on aswel or if you havnt got a 4x4 you could get stickers printed relatively cheaply then people are aware of your business

Louise0208
19-12-2010, 02:13 PM
i advertised around the same time as my ofsted inspection but still ended up loosing 2 families due to CRB & ofsted dragging there feet for a further 10 months.

iv not needed to advertise since, word of mouth has worked out just perfect for me....iv also had calls from parents using the local childcare link.....i spent a fortune on cards, posters, leaflets etc and never used them :rolleyes:

jane5
19-12-2010, 02:41 PM
You can not advertise as a registered childminder until you are officially registered.

I advertised as a ''soon to be registered childminder due to be registered in Dec 10, now taking bookings''. I did all of the free advertising such as childcare .co.uk but you are not allowed to use your business cards if they state or imply that you are registered when you are not.

You are also not allowed to take any money for deposits or retainers or sign any contracts until you are registered. All you could do is agree verbally with parents and do the official stuff when registration is through.

Be careful because you dont want be in trouble before you are even registered :thumbsup:

Mrs Pootle
19-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I'd suggest getting yourself known at the local playgroup & in the school playground. Word of mouth is a brilliant way to advertise, tell as many people as you can that you are in the process of becoming a childminder. I did this, and have never had to advertise elsewhere, my mindees came from a recommendation from someone else who knew me. I've also got a waiting list now of potential mindees when mums finish maternity leave, and again I have been recommended by people who know me. Good luck with your registration, it can be a frustratingly long time.

miffy
19-12-2010, 03:47 PM
I'd suggest getting yourself known at the local playgroup & in the school playground. Word of mouth is a brilliant way to advertise, tell as many people as you can that you are in the process of becoming a childminder. I did this, and have never had to advertise elsewhere, my mindees came from a recommendation from someone else who knew me. I've also got a waiting list now of potential mindees when mums finish maternity leave, and again I have been recommended by people who know me. Good luck with your registration, it can be a frustratingly long time.

I agree with this - get yourself known but don't do anything officially until you have got your registration through - you might be lucky and it only take a few weeks but it could also take much longer.

Miffy xx