PDA

View Full Version : fridge temperature checks

jmorgan
15-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Hi everybody

I have my ofsted inspection in january and I going through paperwork etc etc etc and wandering is true we have to do daily fridge checks now, if yes,
when did this rule come in? (yet more paperwork).

I hear different things from other cms, some do it, some dont.

Thanks for reading .
Julie

Pixie dust
15-12-2010, 10:43 AM
I make a note in my diary but note sure if we have to actually have to do it.

jmorgan
15-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I make a note in my diary but note sure if we have to actually have to do it.

Thanks for replying. do you do a check daily?

Penny1959
15-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I check every time I take something out of fridge - ie does it feel cold? - I do not record anything - unless it feels a bit warm - then would record actual temperture and what did about it.

I record fridge temp every monday in diary - this is more for environmental health reasons - but Ofsted inspector did comment on the fact that I had recorded fridge temp.

Penny :)

mrsoliver
15-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Food and Drink requirement of EYFS says you have to comply with relevant Fodd Hygiene regulations.

Just jot it in diary and check each time you open fridge

sarah707
15-12-2010, 05:48 PM
You need to get hold of a copy of Safer Food Better business for childminders and read through the requirements.

Hth :D

candy cat
15-12-2010, 07:54 PM
my enviromental inspector says it is not a legal requirement,but good practise to check regularly

Daftbat
16-12-2010, 11:31 AM
My understanding is that its good practice but not essential.

Mrs Pootle
20-12-2010, 02:58 PM
The "safer foods business pack for childminders says you don't need to record the temperature everyday, only if there is a problem. So if your fridge is too hot/too cold & you have to throw food out, you make a note in the diary section of the pack. You can send off for the pack from enviromental health, it's really useful, and they recommend you review it approx 3 monthly, so not everyday. I've just had my inspection & ofsted were fine with this.

emma500
07-06-2013, 04:08 PM
ive got my 1st inspection next Thursday , ive been doing my weekly , hope this will be enough for them its on number 4 and tempiture of 8.3 is
this about right. xx

funemnx
07-06-2013, 04:10 PM
ive got my 1st inspection next Thursday , ive been doing my weekly , hope this will be enough for them its on number 4 and tempiture of 8.3 is
this about right. xx

I think it should be 5 or under for a fridge :thumbsup:

sing-low
07-06-2013, 05:27 PM
this about right. xx

Safer food, better business for childminders says "make sure your fridge is set at 5C or below" and "setting your fridge at 5C will make sure the food is kept at 8C or below. This is a legal requirement in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and recommended in Scotland"

I got slightly confused by this as when I checked my fridge temperature it seemed to be really high (between 9C and 10C) and I was worried about this before my food hygiene inspection. I'd been checking the fridge first thing but this was after my DD and DS had been helping themselves to breakfast so the fridge had been opened and closed a few times. I kept tweaking the dial to try and keep it colder but nothing seemed to be working. I just ended up with frozen food it was so cold but the thermometer kept registering "too high". I was worried we'd have to buy a new fridge:( When the food inspector came and I explained what had been happening, he said that the thermometer was measuring air temperature and that it would go up if the fridge was being opened and closed but that didn't mean the food wasn't still cold. He suggested checking mid day when the fridge hadn't been opened for a few hours. Problem solved! :)

blue bear
07-06-2013, 05:29 PM
I record mine on my daily register

JCrakers
07-06-2013, 06:07 PM
I had an inspection and the inspector said it would be good practise to check daily and record temp. I had a chart but got fed up of filling it in so now I just jot the temp in my register.
It's usually between 3-5 degrees :)