PDA

View Full Version : just need a bit of advice.

jmorgan
14-12-2010, 02:17 PM
hello everybody

I am going through my learning journals and I am not sure of how we present them. I have obs. with pics, next steps etc, some I dont, what I am wandering is how do I present them & where should I keep next steps obs?

So far i have them in date order & next steps stapled on the back of relevant obs sheet. One example is this, in september mindee did great drawing of a face, I did next steps for this, to try to draw other parts of body eg arms, legs etc. I went back to this obs this week, she drew legs and curly hair, where now do I put the next obs??

I dunno if I am doing this eyfs stuff right :(
Its so confusing is there a right way or wrong way

miffy
14-12-2010, 02:35 PM
My LJ's are all in date order - I write next steps on the ob (but not for everything otherwise you'd drive yourself potty) then when the next steps is done (like in your example) I refer back to it in the write up. Then the cycle starts again.

Not sure if that makes any sense!

Miffy xx

Penny1959
14-12-2010, 02:36 PM
First there is NO right or wrong way.

Your way is right for you - yes you will make changes over time- but you have to understand your system and be able to explain to parents and Ofsted.

As to where to put things - these are my ideas - but does not mean are the right way to do it

I put everything in date order so in my LJ's the first lovely picutre would be first and end of week evaluation / next step plan close by (depending on amount of evidence collected that week) then when Lo did a picture that showed development I put it in the LJ in date order and in the weekly evaluation would refer (by date) to first picture and next step plan at the time, say been achieved and add the next step plan. and so on.

Hope you find a 'system' that is 'right' for you

Penny :)

mrs coops
14-12-2010, 02:41 PM
the lady from our local eyfs said a great tip was to number the obs we were doing then when we did the next step to put which no obs it related to.Hope that makes sense lol :laughing: xxx

angeldelight
17-12-2010, 02:59 PM
I agree with everyone

There is no right or wrong way

Do whatever you are happy with

Angel xx

Clareysbusybees
07-01-2011, 07:05 PM
|My learning journals are scrap book based and i write in the view of the childs, next to that, i write the observation, which area of the eyfs it covers, next steps if there is one, lots of photo's, cross reference with previous obs, i feel the learning journal should be about memories for the child, not a load of jargon that in all honesty, parents aren't interested in, they just want to see that their child is in a home loving environment, having lots of fun and play, sorry gone on abit now, just feel passionate about it.

Bridey
07-01-2011, 07:13 PM
In this area the most common comment the childminders seem to be hearing from Ofsted about our Learning Journeys is that we are doing too much! Having seen the sparse learning journey of a child who attends an outstanding rated playgroup (few photos, several one line comments and a couple of post it notes) and compared it to the huge file I have on him, and considering I have him four hours a week and they see him every day, I would have to agree!

CAZMCA
07-01-2011, 07:19 PM
the lady from our local eyfs said a great tip was to number the obs we were doing then when we did the next step to put which no obs it related to.Hope that makes sense lol :laughing: xxx

i do this too :thumbsup: