PDA

View Full Version : data protection Qs

mr man
14-12-2010, 09:32 AM
A little confused with if i need to register with data protection, and how to?

is this only if i use digi photos ? more inof on this would be great if somoene can help me.

also ive read on here about online learning records ?
if i was to do this then i must register with data protection.

thanks tomnbeccs

sarah707
15-12-2010, 07:52 AM
We have been told that if we use a digital camera to take any photos of minded children for whatever reason and for however long the photos remain on the camera then we must register.

Also if we use a computer, even to type up and print out a letter to parents without their name on the letter then we must register.

I have registered and so have many others

singingcactus
15-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I've been wondering about this...what happens when we stop being childminders, do we still have to keep up the ico registration for ever, or do we stop being responsible for whatever is still on our machines the day we hand back our registration certificates. Because if we have to register, even if we delete the pic immediately, then there is no end to how long we have to register for, is there? Until we have professionally disposed of all electronic items that we made use of in our work? What about if we have used online methods for keeping records, like blogs or companies who provide a service?

mr man
16-12-2010, 11:04 AM
singingcatus - thats very god point, never thought of that one. it's all seeming technolgy gone mad. most houses use computers now, or even print out documents in the libraru which is something i do a lot as there printer is better. ( those print outs are jsut the forms to fill in - but as sarah mentioned even this needs to be registered ?? am i now not allowed to use the library computers). didnt realise how intense this issue is.

hope someone had advice ?

juejue
16-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't understand all this....

what does it actually mean...... By signing up for it, will they know what we are putting on the computer for the children. Does it get sent to them aswell or something. Do you know what i mean :blush:

I only keep photos on mine n delete them when i have printer them

buildingblocks
17-12-2010, 12:15 AM
I decided it was easier to pay the £35 and put it through my books as an expense then to worry about if I needed to do it or not and then I was also covered if I left anything on the computer say overnight until I saved it to disk. Better safe than sorry is my motto

sarah707
17-12-2010, 07:51 AM
I don't understand all this....

what does it actually mean...... By signing up for it, will they know what we are putting on the computer for the children. Does it get sent to them aswell or something. Do you know what i mean :blush:

I only keep photos on mine n delete them when i have printer them

It has been decided by the powers that be that we have to register with the ICO.

By registering you are staying within the law.

There are no further benefits that I have found.

Flisspaps
17-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Juejue - no, nothing will be sent to the ICO, they won't be able to 'see' what is on your computer, they will just be aware that you use your computer for work related activities, and you will be expected to keep any information on your computer secure (eg use a password, not email details of children to anyone etc)

juejue
17-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Juejue - no, nothing will be sent to the ICO, they won't be able to 'see' what is on your computer, they will just be aware that you use your computer for work related activities, and you will be expected to keep any information on your computer secure (eg use a password, not email details of children to anyone etc)

Thank you flisspaps. understand now...with the password n that.:blush: have nothing on the computer to worry about them seeing, just didn't understand how they knew we were using it for work. silly me.

Flisspaps
19-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Not silly at all :)