PDA

View Full Version : Child with tonsilitus?

Tippy Toes
14-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Hi

Mum tried to bring baby here yesterday but said child had very high temp etc so I said to mum best to keep child home if she thought he was ill.

This morning mum texts to say she took child to docs last night due to very high temp and doc said child has tonsilitus.

Mum has said she will keep child home today and tomorrow.

Just wanted to check with you whether this is ok? Can the child pass it on to me and my children? When would you say is ok for the child to return?

Thanks everyone!

Polly2
14-12-2010, 08:19 AM
child was probably contagious before she became ill unfortunatly.

I think it would be fine to have her back once on antibiotics. Just record meds. :thumbsup:

kindredspirits
14-12-2010, 09:29 AM
I'd be happy to accept child back ONCE they are on the mend - temp staying down and not screaming in pain, eating normally etc.

AliceK
14-12-2010, 10:00 AM
As long as the child isn't in too much pain and temp has gone down I would accept them.
I didn't think tonsilitis was contagious????

xxxxx

Just checked and it is contagious by nasal fluids. Well you learn something new everyday :blush:

em29
14-12-2010, 08:09 PM
I thought there was bacterial tonsilitis (not contagious) and viral tonsilitis (contagious) or is this rubbish?? :blush:

Ali56
14-12-2010, 09:56 PM
I don't know which is contagious or not, but even so I would also turn away a child who had a temp and was obviously ill, clearly they need to be at home. Intersting tho because both my DD's were prone to tonsillitus when they were younger and DD2 had bacterial tonsillitus more than once, Its pretty horrendous, full body rash, lethargy, dislike of bright lights-all symptoms of meningitis, I was terrified the first time, she was only 2 and took days to get better. BUT neither of them ever passed it on to anyone else. Didn't know it was passed by nasal dishcharge, you do learn something new every day!
(even so, luckily I didn't work when my children had it)

PixiePetal
14-12-2010, 10:02 PM
yes there are two types - I have just recovered from a bout myself. Took 3 days off as I wasn't up to anything and didn't want to have to talk much! Got over it without meds - viral I think as it went quite quick.

When I had it once before I had anti biotics and doc said it was the worse case she had seen in years :rolleyes: I was laid up for a week, took another to get my strength back and lost about 10lb in weight - not nice (although weight loss was good!)

Minstrel
14-12-2010, 10:12 PM
DS has has it last week and Doc said that even the contagious type (I asked because we have a small baby) is very hard to catch. Usually passed on through close contact like mouth kissing. Within hours of starting anti-b's the temp had gone and he was much better and back at school.