PDA

View Full Version : how warm are your mindees?

sweets
13-12-2010, 09:56 PM
sounds daft i know, but how many layers of clothes do your mindees wear?

ive always gone by that if a child is 12months plus then they dont need any more layers on than an adult (was told this in college years ago).

if its really freezing with biting breeze then i layer them up with hats, scarves, gloves, footmuff etc, especially the children in prams. but if its just a bit cold but bright and a walking 2 year old wants to take off their hat then i let them.

im only asking because a friend of mine dreeses her mindees like they are going to the arctic! with extra jumpers, fleeces as well as coats, hats etc. They can hardly move half the time. She moans all the time that parents dont dress them warm enough and often comments on what my mindees are wearing and how they must be cold!

how many layers do your lot wear?

juejue
13-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I have one that comes everyday in 1 vest. 2 short sleeves t shirts 1 long sleeve t shirt and a jumper. Plus coat, hat, scarf n gloves :panic:

sillysausage
13-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I agree with you. If children are running around they don't need any extra layers than what we wear (in fact I seem to find that children are often warmer than me....I shiver if the temp drops below 20C lol......and teenagers ...well they seem to survive in barely any clothes at all). Once a child is able to 'communicate' their thoughts I will usually give them choices over wearing hats and gloves, though if they say no I will often take them with me and ask after a few mins if they want to put them on. Once a child is at nursery I think they are old enough to learn the consequences of their actions.....choose not to wear gloves and get cold hands then next time they may opt to take the gloves with them just in case etc (sounds harsh but I give them every opportunity eg asking them to put gloves in pockets etc).
Mind you we only have a short walk to school so children are not going to get overly cold....I really am not cruella de ville

The Juggler
13-12-2010, 10:20 PM
i think you can go OTT but you can always strip off layers. I had a 3 year old today, vest, top, fleece/jumper and big arctic coat, gloves, hat, scarf and sobbing half way home because he was so cold:(

his hands were:( like blocks of ice

Chimps Childminding
13-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I have one that comes everyday in 1 vest. 2 short sleeves t shirts 1 long sleeve t shirt and a jumper. Plus coat, hat, scarf n gloves :panic:

Wow, we must share the same child!!! I have one who comes dressed exactly the same!!! except she also has 2 pairs of socks on and a pair of pants over her nappy :rolleyes:

snufflepuff
13-12-2010, 10:27 PM
My son and two mindees are all still under 2 and still in the buggy when we go out, so I do wrap them up warm- lots of layers, gloves and hat, blanket. Obviously if they are walking they need less layers.

My schoolie wears just a thin coat over his uniform and thats it, even in the snow we have had recently he only came with a hat on one occasion...he gets so cold, bless him.

Depends on the child too of course, my son never seems to feel the cold but one of my mindees cries and ends up with hands that feel like ice even with gloves on, and they don't warm up for a few hours!

mrs_scottydog
13-12-2010, 10:43 PM
One of my mums dresses her son in tights and socks as well as his trousers. Luckily he's only 2 so doesn't know any different. Hx

RachelE
13-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I'd rather my mindees were warm than cold!

I dont mind if my mindees come in 10 layers, I'll adjust accordingly. I do a school run and children get cold very quickly just sitting in a pushchair, doing nothing.
I had a child walking, last week, crying because she was too cold.

I can take layers off when I get home and at least I know they have been wrapped up well.

I thank parents for bringing too much, get annoyed with the ones who dont bring enough!

Rachel x

mushpea
14-12-2010, 07:04 AM
mine are all different,,, some dont send gloves or hats etc and the child screams cause they are cold ,, another parent sends them and child of 5yrs refuses to wear them but then feel at that age they are old enough to choose and another child nearly 4yrs comes in vest, tshirt, bodywarmer, jumper and coat but when we go out he messes about and wont always put his coat on so i wont argue with him,, we just walk down the road a bit then i ask him ifhes cold and he says yes and then puts his coat on, again he is old enough to learn about these choices.

Mollymop
14-12-2010, 08:29 AM
MIne all come dressed in lots of layers, but as someone has already said I don't mind as long as they are warm. If they get too warm then I can easily undress the child. I think some parents are ott because they know their children are going to have no choice but to be out in the cold with me as we walk everywhere.... all my parents drive everywhere so they are always in the warm and probably don't realise that even though it is very very cold, it is not so bad once you are out about walking, running playing in it.

kindredspirits
14-12-2010, 08:29 AM
My 3 year old wears a t-shirt, long sleeved t-shirt, jumper and coat when out and about in the winter - but then again I wear a vest, long sleeved t-shirt, jumper and coat so i guess thats about the same.
I have baby mindees that come in just a vest and jumper and they are always freezing cold. :rolleyes:
I'd just be happy that they are warm - whatever that takes. if they don't want to wear a hat and start to get cold they'll soon ask for it back :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
14-12-2010, 09:01 AM
My central heating boiler is on the blink :( So I got up at 6am just to put on the coal fire to make it up to 18c. I've got an electric heater in the sleeping bedroom.
But we'll be out most of the day and living in the car as it's warmer! Mindees usually come in big jumpers so no problem really.

Pixie dust
14-12-2010, 09:15 AM
I have the opposite I have a mindee who 95% of the time comes in a sleeveles summer top with jeans... no vest or jumper. I am always saying to mum can I have a jumper as its cold when we go out.

rickysmiths
14-12-2010, 09:20 AM
One of the Dads dropped off changes of clothes for after school for one of my mindees yesterday.

When we got in from school she got out some clothes and changed. She came into the playroom wearing thin shorts and a tee shirt. :rolleyes: :eek: Its lucky my new central heating works efficiently.

AliceK
14-12-2010, 09:54 AM
I'd rather my mindees were warm than cold!

I dont mind if my mindees come in 10 layers, I'll adjust accordingly. I do a school run and children get cold very quickly just sitting in a pushchair, doing nothing.
I had a child walking, last week, crying because she was too cold.

I can take layers off when I get home and at least I know they have been wrapped up well.

I thank parents for bringing too much, get annoyed with the ones who dont bring enough!

Rachel x

Same here. I would much rather a child arrive with loads of layers than not dressed warmly enough. I sent out a stern reminder to parents a few weeks ago reminding them that because we walk everywhere children MUST come dressed warmly and with appropriate footwear, hats, gloves etc. So far all children are now dressed appropriately. I can take layers off the LO's if need be but when we are out and I have children sitting in a pushchair I do wrap them up like little eskimos because I feel the cold and hate being cold.

xxxx

caz3007
14-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I have a child that sometimes comes without a coat and yes he has in the last couple of weeks too, his mum forgets we have a school walk to do. If they are walking they need less layers, but children sat in a buggy need a huge amount of layers in my view and all mine have coats, hats, gloves and several blankets all tucked around them if its cold.

I hate seeing small children in buggies with no blankets in the winter

VINASOL
14-12-2010, 01:53 PM
My 3yr old part-time mindee comes to me in short sleeved t-shirt, school dress (to her thighs), thin pairs of tights (which have holes in toes/heels) and shoes - sometimes with a jumper smoetimes not. A hat that doesn't reach her ears. No scarves, rarely has gloves.

When it snowed, mum put mindee in boots. No trousers just usual clothes; snow was deeper than boots (so snow went into feet) but mum couldn't understand why mindee comlained about being cold :eek:

Mum, however, is wrapped up nice and warm.

Mindee has been sick for about four weeks now with a dreadful chesty cough and ALWAYS complains about being cold. :eek:

Layers: that's the key isn't it. Hot rather than cold for me.

FussyElmo
14-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Layers here for me would sooner take it off and not have it in the first place.

Dd in the last cold snap would wear vest, long sleeved tshirt short sleeved tshirts=, cardigan. Her puddle suit and a winter coat. I would also put 2 pairs of gloves on and wrap her in a blanket. Yes Im one of the mums whose children cant walk but even with all this by time we did the school run she would still cry because she was so cold.

francinejayne
14-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Mine are all different - two sets of parents spend time playing outside with their children, so their children have snow suits, thick coats, boots, hats, gloves, scarves, jumpers etc - it's great and makes my job much easier.

Another parent dresses her boys so that they look lovely - but they're cold! The 12 month old yesterday had a vest, short sleeved t shirt, jeans and a fleece instead of a coat!

As soon as we waved bye to Dad I got out my son's old jumper. winter coat, hat and gloves from last year - I wrapped him up warm and we went on the school run - he was warm!!!

Dragonfly
14-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Same as RachelE .
I keep spare gloves and hats socks some children do not have any when they come, and they would get so cold on the school run without any. More clothes is better than not enough.(that goes for hats and gloves too)

IndigoMoon
14-12-2010, 07:52 PM
I'd rather have to many layers than too few.

mamasheshe
14-12-2010, 07:59 PM
my dds wear vest top jumper or cardi coat hat gloves boots obviously bottoms of some sort too :thumbsup: mindees seem to wear similar the six year old i have sometimes wins the morning getting dressed battle and has less layers but i've told her she needs to wear a hat as it makes me feel cold when she doesn't :thumbsup:

karen m
14-12-2010, 09:26 PM
I have siblings eldest is 4 no vest,scool top waterproof coat ,hat that keeps going over his eyes,lo 9 months since we had snow she has only ever come in a sleepsuit,and a jacket,no scocks on her feet get so cold on school runs even in footmuff,fed up putting on my spares and them not comming back

Ali56
14-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I also keep spares-I find its essential. We live out in the country and most mindees come in the car-so they are dressed for the car-one arrives in a little long sleeve tee and a thin jacket. Lo is slightly built and all rib, always ends up crying with the cold if I don't add more. Not the only one either. Have even hinted by sending LO home in the jumper I added and asked mum to return it with LO next day as they DO get so cold. Never works :panic: