PDA

View Full Version : Leaflet dropping - your thoughts please

Playmate
13-12-2010, 06:08 PM
We need to do a mega recruitment drive after Christmas, we have 2 full time vacancies and another 2 vacancies on 2 days of the week, which for us working together is not good. I'm planning all the usual updates and shop cards, car signs etc. Just wondered how many have tried leaflet dropping and what areas did you target? Has any one had a definate success story with it? What detail did you put on your flyers?
Sorry so many questions :D

manjay
13-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Hmm not one I can answer really. For me it is more cost effective and a whole heap easier to just put a half page spread in the village magazine.

However I have done leaflet drops for something else I used to do and it did work although not masses of business. But then I guess you only need a couple:D

gazanne
13-12-2010, 06:15 PM
I did a leaflet drop to four schools in the area and got three families from it, i would do it again when i need to. xxx

Polly2
13-12-2010, 07:29 PM
I did one at two of my nearest villages. I handed out hundreds and didn't have one phone call :( never again!

Playmate
13-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Thankyou ladies,

Manjay - great idea about advert in village mag, just wish we had one :D we to have done leaflet dropping for another business and yes it did get some results, just not sure its the right approach for CM'ing.

Gazanne - great to hear it worked for you.

Polly - think I would feel the same.

Maybe see how the other advertising sources go and rethink if we don't get anything from that :D

TheBTeam
13-12-2010, 10:07 PM
I know what you mean, we have just lost two full timers, so have 3 full time vacancies, plus one 1 day a week, and 1 two days a week, and our ones left are short days!

As you say not good when you work together, we have had no enquiries, and also wonder now whether having a puppy will put people off.

Playmate
13-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I know what you mean, we have just lost two full timers, so have 3 full time vacancies, plus one 1 day a week, and 1 two days a week, and our ones left are short days!

As you say not good when you work together, we have had no enquiries, and also wonder now whether having a puppy will put people off.

I'm hoping there are lots of parents just hanging on until after Christmas to sort their childcare, trouble is it will probably be the spring before we get any to start :panic:
I'm sure there are dog lovers out there that will love you new puppy, although this is the reason why won't get any pets, because we seem to get the ones who don't want them.

linda2girls
13-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Do you keep looking on Childcare.co.uk? Most of mine have come from there.

Linda.

Playmate
13-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Do you keep looking on Childcare.co.uk? Most of mine have come from there.

Linda.

every day :D I usually send messages to anyone within a 3 mile radius. Most of the time they don't even answer my messages :( . However we did get a child through there last August :D

TheBTeam
14-12-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm hoping there are lots of parents just hanging on until after Christmas to sort their childcare, trouble is it will probably be the spring before we get any to start :panic:
I'm sure there are dog lovers out there that will love you new puppy, although this is the reason why won't get any pets, because we seem to get the ones who don't want them.

I always said I wouldnt, but i got to the point over the summer that I decided I was giving too much of my life to childminding and not enough to me personally and i would quite like a dog now and we would manage and i would do something for me and dh who has wanted a dog for years, we were very lucky with all the existing parents they all love the dog and at least one child loves coming even more because of the dog and taking him out etc.

I guess if you try a leaflet drop at least you will know, I am not brave enough to do it!, we are supposed to have a baby for three short days starting april, but whether it happens or not is anyones guess!

miffy
14-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Could you get the local press to do a story about you - working together as childminders, both got outstanding at recent inspection - that sort of thing. Might do the trick for free and a lot less hassle than sticking leaflets through letterboxes!

Miffy xx

Playmate
14-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Could you get the local press to do a story about you - working together as childminders, both got outstanding at recent inspection - that sort of thing. Might do the trick for free and a lot less hassle than sticking leaflets through letterboxes!

Miffy xx

That is a fab idea, Mick has been approached by NCMA press office to represent men in Childminding etc, never thought of going to local press, thats going to be no1 on my advertising campaign list for the new year! thanks Miffy! :clapping:

miffy
14-12-2010, 09:05 PM
You're welcome - hope it works for you :)

Miffy xx

manjay
14-12-2010, 10:22 PM
That is a fab idea, Mick has been approached by NCMA press office to represent men in Childminding etc, never thought of going to local press, thats going to be no1 on my advertising campaign list for the new year! thanks Miffy! :clapping:

Get Mick on a centre page spread!!!!;) :D

ladybug
15-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I did a leaflet drop and didnt get one response from it!!! I find word of mouth is good, local pre schools and primary's?, I have signs on my car when I have a vacancy and I tend to ring up FIS and change the number of vacancies as this puts you back to the top of the list!
Also am friendly with the local NCMA support worker ( sometimes its who you know!)
And as for dogs, I have 5, parents and little ones love them, also 2 parrots and 4 tortoises, you need to push the positives of having animals and emphasise that you are able to keep the dogs away from the children if necessary and work to build the childrens confidence with animals!!

Playmate
15-12-2010, 08:23 PM
I did a leaflet drop and didnt get one response from it!!! I find word of mouth is good, local pre schools and primary's?, I have signs on my car when I have a vacancy and I tend to ring up FIS and change the number of vacancies as this puts you back to the top of the list!
Also am friendly with the local NCMA support worker ( sometimes its who you know!)
And as for dogs, I have 5, parents and little ones love them, also 2 parrots and 4 tortoises, you need to push the positives of having animals and emphasise that you are able to keep the dogs away from the children if necessary and work to build the childrens confidence with animals!!

Thank you. unfortunately our FIS dosen't work like this any more :( and as for the info that goes on the government website there are 44 childminders who live closer to me than I do :rolleyes: Half of our problem at the moment is that we all have vacancies, so we are not helping each other. I'm in constant contact with my NCMA DO, unfortunately she loses her job in March to! As for pets I can't keep my tropical fish alive, so don't think I will risk anything else :laughing: (couldn't afford it anyway!)
We have decided not to leaflet drop, will do all the other usual things and will try press release :D

Playmate
15-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Get Mick on a centre page spread!!!!;) :D

O please Manjay!! We are trying to promote the business not drive it away :laughing:

manjay
15-12-2010, 08:41 PM
:ROFL1: How funny!!!

O please Manjay!! We are trying to promote the business not drive it away :laughing:

Marshmallow
19-12-2010, 06:12 PM
:censored: My Husband is a printer, so he thought he was doing me a " Favour " printing 2000 leaflets.( Why did he not just ask me ?:panic: )
Anyhow, to get rid of them I had to deliver them, and from this I got 2 full time mindee's.
Although, I did get a few calls from people who just wanted to talk to some one :rolleyes:
It worked for me,I am based in Peterborough, and if my Husband does that again he will be divorced:censored: :censored:

Playmate
19-12-2010, 07:25 PM
:censored: My Husband is a printer, so he thought he was doing me a " Favour " printing 2000 leaflets.( Why did he not just ask me ?:panic: )
Anyhow, to get rid of them I had to deliver them, and from this I got 2 full time mindee's.
Although, I did get a few calls from people who just wanted to talk to some one :rolleyes:
It worked for me,I am based in Peterborough, and if my Husband does that again he will be divorced:censored: :censored:

:laughing: :laughing:

I must admit we have decided not to do it because it will be expensive to print and if it doesn't work it will have been a waste of money.

flowerpots
19-12-2010, 07:42 PM
i got 500 postcards from vista print for £52.00 took them to the local school to give out to all the children, i got an after schoolie from it which wasnt great but it paid for the postcards within a month. hth :)