PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance over £1000!! any reccommendations?

acorns
13-12-2010, 10:20 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
I've had some quotes for car insurance for almost £1000, I paid just under £400 last year and have only had a small claim on the policy!! I have a 7 seater vehicle grand picasso and can't believe it's going to cost soooooooo much. Does anyone have any reccommendations for companies to try? I was quoted over £3000 through NCMA car insurance!! Thanks

Ripeberry
13-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Do you have any no claims bonus left? Have you got any younger drivers on your policy? Sometimes if your spouse is named it can be cheaper (if he does not have any claims).

I would try confused.com and see who comes up. I know premiums have gone up quite a bit recently though :(

Playmate
13-12-2010, 10:49 AM
You might want to check out Quinn insurance. My son is 18 and passed his test last August and we had the most ridiculous quotes. Quinn was definately the cheapest (mind you we are still paying over £300 a month :eek: hopefully this will come down after a year if he doesn't have to make a claim).

Blackcat
13-12-2010, 01:33 PM
my hubby works for swinton, he recommeneds that you try ducktowatercarinsurance

(they are a supplier of swinton, but cheaper if you go direct

mama2three
13-12-2010, 01:44 PM
You might want to check out Quinn insurance. My son is 18 and passed his test last August and we had the most ridiculous quotes. Quinn was definately the cheapest (mind you we are still paying over £300 a month :eek: hopefully this will come down after a year if he doesn't have to make a claim).

Weve been lokking for insurance for C and Quinn was defiantely the cheapest - Still as you say far from cheap!! They are in administration though , has this affected anything?

Chatterbox Childcare
13-12-2010, 01:50 PM
I am with Churchill and my insurance rose by nearly 75%. I let the policy lapse and took it out again and it was over 15% cheaper!

Worth shopping around and protecting your no claims

cuddlybunny38
13-12-2010, 02:09 PM
I was with direct line and did pay £68 a mth, my renewual came through and they wanted £119 a mth and I have 1 years no claims with them and not claimed on it, so rang rac had to pay £151 for 1st payment then is £69 for 10mths. they are all slowly going up but rac was a good deal cheaper. x

grindal
13-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Have you tried Diamond - I was with them for ages, and was always quite reasonable. They also used to have a bizarre system where you only needed to buy ten months insurance with them and then if you renewed the policy they gave you another year of no claims. I did this for a while after a couple of no fault claims I had to make, and got my no claims back to a sensible level.

snufflepuff
13-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Can't help i'm afraid but wanted to say I feel your pain! We are now paying £133 per month, previously £117 per month. We haven't made any claims in that time. We shopped around and our current company, tesco, were still the cheapest by far so just stayed put. Real nightmare though, tempted to downsize as we have a 2.2l peugeot 807 so not the cheapest to insure/ tax/ run anyway. The costs are crippling!

acorns
13-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions, when you have your renewals try Mortion Michel, they have come up witn £554:clapping: £200 cheaper than the cheapest i could find on go compare & other comparison sites, tried direct line and similar also. still pricey but much better that £1000!!

Playmate
13-12-2010, 05:47 PM
I suppose there are some advantages to being old with protected no claims :rolleyes:

dolly daycare
13-12-2010, 06:47 PM
I do have a few years no claims, but Tesco always come up cheap for us, compared to most other insurance companies that we have got quotes from.

Good luck with your search

candy cat
13-12-2010, 07:59 PM
I pay £35 per month with zurich for my s max plus breakdown included

sarah707
13-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions, when you have your renewals try Mortion Michel, they have come up witn £554:clapping: £200 cheaper than the cheapest i could find on go compare & other comparison sites, tried direct line and similar also. still pricey but much better that £1000!!

I was just going to suggest Morton Michel.

We have both cars with them and find them very competitive :D

clio0602
13-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Yes..... I couldn't get a quote to beat Morton Michel for my Zafira was nearly £100 cheaper than the cheapest!:thumbsup:

Louise B
13-12-2010, 09:17 PM
I've got a 7 seater too and pretty sure it's less than £350 with Direct Line. They added on that I use it for business and it was no extra cost :-)

xx

The Juggler
13-12-2010, 10:24 PM
no idea on 7 seaters hon but Sheila's Wheels are good so give em a try:)

youarewhatyoueat
13-12-2010, 10:47 PM
I have full no claims and drive a 7 seater fiat ulysee and pay about £260 business insurance fully comp with elephant.
Unless you have a claim that is going to be over £500 its not always worth claiming.
I pay an extra £30 a year to protect my no claims though.
I am shocked at the amounts that some of you are paying, perhaps its where you live. I'm rural and park on my drive, its scary that it can make such a difference to live in a town.

acorns
14-12-2010, 10:37 AM
I have full no claims and drive a 7 seater fiat ulysee and pay about £260 business insurance fully comp with elephant.
Unless you have a claim that is going to be over £500 its not always worth claiming.
I pay an extra £30 a year to protect my no claims though.
I am shocked at the amounts that some of you are paying, perhaps its where you live. I'm rural and park on my drive, its scary that it can make such a difference to live in a town.

We are Urban but in the lowest crime area in my city, still Direct Line came up with £1033, NCMA Insurance over £3000:eek: . I can't find anyone cheaper than Morton Michel so am taking their policy out today. Thanks again everyone, it's really interesting to see what a wild difference there is in price for basically the same thing

acorns
18-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I decided to go with Morton michel and tried to get in touch with them all day yesterday. No phones answered - think they must have been having their office xmas do all day:( - But it worked out well as i tried a company called Be Wiser who then, after a bit of speaking to someone els came up with a price £150 cheaper than MM :))