PDA

View Full Version : How to you work mindee pick ups & charges?

acorns
12-12-2010, 10:19 PM
I have some parents who are quite keen on comnig to me with 5mo baby, despite needing to get 2 buses and a 1 hour journey to reach me:eek: I am considering offering to pick up(dad can collect in car) lo as it would fit in quite well with my day (about 10/15min car ride). But I've never done this before and was wondering if I should charge from the time i leave home just my normal hourly rate, or my hourly rate plus something to cover 'expenses' (40p per mile) or don't charge my hourly rate and only charge to cover my expenses. not really sure if it's ethical to charge normal rate as I don't have mindee in my care at that time but it's for them that i'm making the journey. I'd like to know what others do or would do in this situation. ta very muchly

Noomie
12-12-2010, 11:21 PM
I charge from when I leave for any school pick ups, home, school or otherwise. It usually works out anyway. Eg, I charge from 3 until 6 (3 hours) for my after schoolie who I pick up at 3.10pm)

It's a service after all.

youarewhatyoueat
12-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Of course you would charge from when you leave home, and charge a rate that covers your fuel as you shouldn't charge extra for it as then its different insurance. You could decide a set pick up fee of say £10 up to the normal start time, or just what you are happy with.
But make sure it fits in with you, and make sure if the weather is bad and you can't get there or the car breaks down everyone knows who's getting paid or not.
How come it takes an hour to cover a 10 minute drive I could walk quicker than that!!

tulip0803
12-12-2010, 11:51 PM
I quoted a higher daily/hourly rate when asked the same question. If it is local I do not charge just put through expences. I also charge from time I leave home.

I wouldn't charge mileage or a collection fee to the parent as your insurance company could say that you are operating "for hire and reward" and then you business insurance would be invalid. You need to work a way to incorporate the extra into your daily/hourly fees.

rickysmiths
12-12-2010, 11:59 PM
I can't help. I won't get involved in regular deliver and collection unless there is an emergency when I will help if I can.

I think it is a very grey area in terms of car insurance/taxi issues. I wouldn't want the commitment. I would worry what I would do if the weather was bad, if there was a hold up on the way or way back, accidents etc that can block traffic. It would also concern me driving other mindees around collecting and delivering other children. It could cause issues on time of delivery to you of other mindees.

acorns
13-12-2010, 12:11 AM
[QUOTE=How come it takes an hour to cover a 10 minute drive I could walk quicker than that!![/QUOTE]

It's not on a direct route door to door, buses are not frequent and it's a 10/15 min drive mainly along a dual carriage way.

acorns
13-12-2010, 12:17 AM
I can't help. I won't get involved in regular deliver and collection unless there is an emergency when I will help if I can.

I think it is a very grey area in terms of car insurance/taxi issues. I wouldn't want the commitment. I would worry what I would do if the weather was bad, if there was a hold up on the way or way back, accidents etc that can block traffic. It would also concern me driving other mindees around collecting and delivering other children. It could cause issues on time of delivery to you of other mindees.

I'm only considering it really as the hours requested suit me and he would be my only mindee as I'm only looking to mind one for now(my own two are enough:) i couldl tell parents that I can offer it for now but if my situation changes then I may not be able to, so if i'm upfront to begin with i hope this would avoid any issues in the future, may agree to do it on a trial basis whilst settling to see if it works for me. Mum is quite happy to get the bus, but I just thought it'd help her out.

tulip0803
13-12-2010, 12:29 AM
I would also ensure that you have a bad weather policy and state what will happen if it is too icy/snowy for you to drive but your setting is still open. You have to also think about what happens if your car breaks down.

I only did the long pick up (14 miles) twice as it was my mindee that had just moved and they needed emergency care. I wouldn't have done it long term because of the other mindees twice a day. Depends on your situation and how it fits in.

The pick-ups I do now are within a mile. Like you the bus route is infrequent (although it does stop opposite the house) and I live where there are no footpath so it is safer for me to collect than for the parents to walk up the busy main road with 1 or 2 young children or for me to cart children across the road to collect from the bus. I also have one LO on respite & mum cannot always get out to drop off. It has only been this last year that I have done these pick-ups. Quite rural and high proportion of families with only 1 or no car use. Childminders here are being encouraged to offer pick-ups by LA etc. Providing you are not charging for the journey it should be no different than a nursery/school pick-up for insurance purposes.

acorns
13-12-2010, 12:33 AM
I would also ensure that you have a bad weather policy and state what will happen if it is too icy/snowy for you to drive but your setting is still open. You have to also think about what happens if your car breaks down.

Good point, I don't have a bad weather policy at present (haven't minded for a while) so will get writing. Thanks

Chatterbox Childcare
13-12-2010, 07:31 AM
I do pick ups and drop offs and charge my time plus .40p per mile and ammalgamate it into my daily rate and that way I get it when they are sick or on holidays too

Some people say that the .40p comes off your tax but not all of it does so charge and claim as well otherwise your costs won't be paid for

Ripeberry
13-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Do a higher hourly fee to cover the mileage. I'm sure mum would be delighted NOT to have to sit on a bus for an hour and hang around in the cold!
If it's not affecting any other mindees and you are OK with it, then go ahead :)