PDA

View Full Version : keeping Xmas Tree up

newandlearning
12-12-2010, 05:12 PM
hi all..

have put our xmas tree up and have a 13 month old a coming tomorrow...

its a 6 foot tree and am wondering how everyone else keeps their tree looking good and the decorations in tact??

do you block it off or just redirect child to other things..?? :)

FussyElmo
12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I have always redirected the child to other things.

Ripeberry
12-12-2010, 05:50 PM
I find the cats are worse than the kids! :rolleyes:

sarah707
12-12-2010, 06:21 PM
I redirect the child to other things.

Don't forget to write a risk assessment - one of our members was pulled up for not doing one on an inspection last week :D

mrs robbie williams
12-12-2010, 06:26 PM
:panic: :panic: Sarah are you serious??? ive got my tree up and also have my inspection on Thursday - do i really have to risk assess it? my only mindee is 4 so isnt likely to do anything xx

Blaze
12-12-2010, 06:28 PM
It's a potential hazard so yes:rolleyes:

newandlearning
12-12-2010, 06:38 PM
yes.. I realise it wouldn't be too good if 13 month pulled the whole tree down when I'm out of room for any reason.. so I think she'll just have to come with me everywhere.. or I'll have to block tree off so she can't reach it.

sweets
12-12-2010, 07:23 PM
i have said on the other thread that i let my mindees touch and feel my tree and decorations GENTLY! lol. its not a huge one,(4ft artificial) but tommorrow i have a mindee coming that will not understand the danger of it so im going to move my coffee table in front of the tree so he can't get to it!

sarah707
12-12-2010, 07:45 PM
:panic: :panic: Sarah are you serious??? ive got my tree up and also have my inspection on Thursday - do i really have to risk assess it? my only mindee is 4 so isnt likely to do anything xx

Yes Janey81 very kindly shared the feedback from her recent inspection with us...

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72241

Hth :D

Ripeberry
12-12-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm waiting until Saturday when I don't have mindees until 4th Jan. But then the cats will have free access to it.

newandlearning
12-12-2010, 08:24 PM
after much tree thought.. I've uprooted my lil tree and put it in a more sheltered position in my lounge.. sometimes where we would like things isn't necessarily possible whilst childminding.. for me this was one of those occasions.. I shall move back to where I want it after next thurs for the xmas break... :cool:

Ali56
12-12-2010, 08:33 PM
after much tree thought.. I've uprooted my lil tree and put it in a more sheltered position in my lounge.. sometimes where we would like things isn't necessarily possible whilst childminding.. for me this was one of those occasions.. I shall move back to where I want it after next thurs for the xmas break... :cool:

My tree is in a knook behind the sofa-safe from the LO's but not from the kitten.....:laughing: :laughing:

mushpea
12-12-2010, 08:38 PM
they can get to my tree but will be told not to touch it or redirected,, we also
have a nativity scene knitted by my mum which comes out every year, its hight enough that the littlys cant reach but the older ones can and I have some that would touch the same children would also start jumping to see if they can knock the hanging ones down but they will be told not too. gonna be fun tomoro!

Louise0208
13-12-2010, 06:12 PM
my puppy used to pull my tree down last year so i garden wired the top to the curtain pole......no risk of it being pulled over :idea:

rickysmiths
13-12-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm sure it was someone on here that said they put it in a playpen to stop the moindees being able to pull the tree over or fiddle with the decorations.

Mine is a half tree hung on the wall out of reach. One in the playroom and one in the sitting room. The growing tree in our garden won't be brought in until Christmas Eve when the Mindees have gone and will be back in the garden by the time they come back on 4th Jan. :thumbsup:

mum2two
13-12-2010, 07:44 PM
My own DD is 14 months old, and I wondered what my tree would end up like, but she's really not bothered. Sits & looks at it, but there are so many toys she loves she doesn't touch it at all! :thumbsup:

You may just be surprised...

xx

linda2girls
13-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I've just move our one to the lounge - mindees only have restricted/supervised access. I have a 15 month old 3 days a week, and distraction/saying no doesn't seem to work when it comes to the tree and lights, so have decided to make life easier for myself!!!!

Linda.