PDA

View Full Version : What would you do about this?

buzzy bee
11-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I signed a contract in Sept for mindee to start in Jan... I've tried to get in touch to arrange settling in and haven't heard back from mum but have seen she's been logging onto childcare website...

I took a month's deposit (to be used towards fees) but as I was new and desperate for mindees I didn't do a retainer or anything (lesson learnt!)

Anyway, aside from having turned others away, my worry is she'll use me for Jan as she's paid for it, then give me notice within the settling in period, so that she doesn't actually have to give me any notice.

What would you do if you were me?

Chatterbox Childcare
11-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Why don't you wait and see and if you gut says she will leave then look for others in the meantime

jane5
12-12-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't really know what to suggest other than message her on childcare website and be honest with her. Ask her if she is having second thoughts and would she like to have a chat.

If she knows that you know she has been logging on to childcare website she may feel that she has to answer you, where as if she thinks you do not know she may just keep ignoring you and then say sorry but i have been really busy, iykwim?

I hope things work out for you :thumbsup:

Penny1959
12-12-2010, 02:33 PM
I had a parent looking on childcare.co - only knew because she looked at my daughters details and those of a close childminding friend.

I contacted them by email to say I was not happy that they were looking at other childminders details.

They came up with a story about they thought I was going to give notice - did not believe them. However as they have paid for this month I shall wait to see what happens on next pay day. TBH as payment is in advance I will not mind if they do not pay up and therefore in breech of contract - as I do not like the stress caused by not being able to trust them and waiting for the 'next thing'

If I was you I would ask after 2 weeks - if this parent turns up - if she is happy and say it is your normal practice to have new contracrt in place before old one expires - that way you will at least have a week or two warning that not going to continue using your service.

Hope it all works out

Penny :)

Rubybubbles
12-12-2010, 03:55 PM
I had a parent looking on childcare.co - only knew because she looked at my daughters details and those of a close childminding friend.

I contacted them by email to say I was not happy that they were looking at other childminders details.They came up with a story about they thought I was going to give notice - did not believe them. However as they have paid for this month I shall wait to see what happens on next pay day. TBH as payment is in advance I will not mind if they do not pay up and therefore in breech of contract - as I do not like the stress caused by not being able to trust them and waiting for the 'next thing'

If I was you I would ask after 2 weeks - if this parent turns up - if she is happy and say it is your normal practice to have new contracrt in place before old one expires - that way you will at least have a week or two warning that not going to continue using your service.

Hope it all works out

Penny :)

really? Why would you do that? My parent of full timers was online on childcare, I made a joke about it, to which to said, someone had viewed her so she took a look! I don't think I would let her know I was unhappy about it she has the right to look at what she like IMHO!

caz3007
12-12-2010, 04:54 PM
really? Why would you do that? My parent of full timers was online on childcare, I made a joke about it, to which to said, someone had viewed her so she took a look! I don't think I would let her know I was unhappy about it she has the right to look at what she like IMHO!

I agree, one of my mums looked at my profile on there :laughing: and it worried me so asked her nicely if she was unhappy with my service and she said she was looking for weekend care and I was happy with that as they both work shifts in retail. This was nearly a year ago and I know they have managed to wing all the weekends by sending LO to just about anyone they know :laughing:

Penny1959
12-12-2010, 06:02 PM

These particular parents, when they first agree to send children to me - rang another childminder the next day to ask if she had the places they had just agreed to with me. When I asked if they were having second thoughts - as TBH they had not signed contracts at that point - they lied and said 'oh that was months ago'

As they were looking at the details of this same childminder and my daughter (neither of whom had looked at her details) - they and I were concerned.

They also have not told the truth about quite a few things which have now come to light.

When I took them on - I was aware that another childminder had had difficulties with these parents - but I do not listen to gossip preferring to make my own judgement - I now have reached the sad conclusion that I am never going to have the open, honest 2 way relationship that I have with all my other parents.

I expect parents to say if they have an issue with any aspect of my service and to discuss any changes to hours with me first - as if I can meet their new requirements the children will have continuity of care. If I am unable to meet their needs I would be very supportive in helping them to find alternative childcare.

Which is why I told them I was unhappy with them looking at other childminders details without making me aware that there was an aspect of my care or the service that I provide that they were not happy with.

Sorry I have ended up having a bit of a rant - was not my intention and not suggesting that your opinion is any less valued than mine - just that I make my judgements based on my knowledge of the parents - and thought it worthwhile mentioning in reply to Buzzy Bees question