PDA

View Full Version : Settling in tips!

Vickster
10-12-2010, 08:08 PM
I have a 9 month old baby boy starting with me on 4th Jan, he has two, two hour settling in sessions on 23rd Dec and 3rd Jan. Any tips for helping him to settle. His Mum thinks he will be fine. Just wanted some reassurance as this is my first baby. I have a 4 and a 5 year old part time as well and they have been fine as I knew them already. parents are coming on Tuesday night to sign the contract etc.

Thanks

miffy
10-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Get as much information from mum about his usual routine as possible - get her to write down how she settles him if he's upset, the usual signs he's tired etc etc. The more you know about him the easier you will find it. Make sure mum also brings any comforter if he has one.

I'm sure you'll be fine - good luck

Miffy xx

Vickster
10-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks Miffy, I have sent them an "all about me" form to fill in and bring with them on Tuesday. It has questions about this in there.

Polly2
11-12-2010, 08:57 PM
I usually ask mum to bring his favourite toy/blanket or some clothing that smells of mum.

Sometimes it helps if they have cup/bowl/spoon from home for a while also.

hope it goes well :thumbsup:

Vickster
11-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks, that is a good idea.

Penny1959
12-12-2010, 03:24 AM
As well as all the previous good advice - it helps to be as prepared as possible - so if prepare / cook meals for children - do as much as possible before children arrive. Same if offering craft activity for older children - make sure it is all ready.

This way if baby needs lots of cuddles and reassurance you will not get stressed thinking about all the things you need to do to meet the needs of the other children.

If parents say baby is hard to settle for sleep or is a light sleeper consider putting mobile phone on silent and house phone set to answer service after 1 rings (or turn ringer off)- nothing worse than just getting baby to slepp and the phone waking them.

Penny :)

Vickster
12-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks Penny! Luckily I only have my two on his first day, but will make their sandwiches ready and dinner etc the night before. Good idea.