PDA

View Full Version : Combining Childminder with a nursery !

Ms WG
10-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Had an enquiry for an 18 month old. Mum is looking at placing with a childminder two days a week, and a nursery once a week. She's asking if this could confuse/upset the child and whether she would be better just sticking to a childminder.

I've never minded a child who also goes to nursery, so just wondered if anyone has any experience of this and how the child reacts to being cared for in two different settings.

Ta muchly

lorimac
10-12-2010, 07:39 PM
I look after 3 year old twins in the mornings, I drop them at their pre school nursery at 12:30 and they are then collected from there at 3:15 by the local private nursery who have them till 5:30. Mum did want me to have them full time but I couldn't fit them in. It seems to work fine, they are quite happy with the routine.

cs01
10-12-2010, 07:50 PM
I have 1 mindee who comes to me on a Monday and goes to nursery all day Tues and Wed. She had never been away from her mum until she started with me and the nursery but seems to be coping just fine.

Allie
10-12-2010, 07:58 PM
I used to have a baby who did two days with me and one with a nursery after three months mum changed her to three days with me:) as she said what I offered was better and little one only cried going to nursery, never with me. She was also not impressed with arriving to find baby in coat and in her car seat most weeks at nursery pickup time even when she was early!

Allie

Ripeberry
10-12-2010, 08:05 PM
I used to have a baby who did two days with me and one with a nursery after three months mum changed her to three days with me:) as she said what I offered was better and little one only cried going to nursery, never with me. She was also not impressed with arriving to find baby in coat and in her car seat most weeks at nursery pickup time even when she was early!

Allie

Makes you wonder how long the poor little mite was in there :eek: :mad:

caz3007
10-12-2010, 09:39 PM
I had a 5 month old and his sibling who was 21 months and both attended a nursery one day a week and were with me three days. It wasnt a problem. Although mum did talk at one point about sending the baby to me full time as she wasnt happy with the care, but it came down to money in the end and she would have lost her discount at the nursery.

But the attending one day a week didnt pose a problem at all

manjay
10-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I have had a little one since he was 9 months old. he is at nursery 2 days a week and with me one. It has worked out well but he is an amazingly easy going child. I can imagine it might be quite distressing for some children.

samb
10-12-2010, 11:31 PM
I look after D 2 days and he goes to day nursery 2 days (he started there 4 weeks before starting with me). He was with me 3 days but cut to 2 couple of weeks ago as dad didn't have as much work on and couldn't justify the extra day. However he seems fine with both settings. He talks about "my school" to me and he comes into mine without a problem. I think it can work and if parents are unsure about what style of childcare to use and can afford both then I guess it's best of both worlds.

Penny1959
11-12-2010, 08:28 AM
I have experienced with this - I think depends on child - I had one who did not cope at all with the changes to routines - several who have coped really well and took it all in their stride - and one who appeared to be coping but when mum asked a few questions - it became clear that she was very withdrawn at nursery and so as soon as I had a space dropped nursery.

Penny :)

Mouse
11-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I have a 14mth old who comes to me 2 days and nursery one day. On the nursery day, mum drops him off to me at 7.30am & I take him to nursery for 8am. He's been doing this for a couple of months now & has settled wonderfully with me (went to another cm before, but cried the whole time), but not so well at nursery. I do think part of the problem is that on his nursery day he comes to me, is happy for half an hour, then I take him to nursery. Yesterday he cried as soon as we got to the door. I don't know, maybe he'd be different if it was mum taking him straight there rather than coming to me first?
I know that if I had the space available to have him on the Friday, mum would take him out of nursery straight away.

Mrs WG, why does mum want to split the care? For an 18mth old, I'd think it was better being with just one carer...preferably a childminder :thumbsup: