PDA

View Full Version : Hi, any advice for a newbie

Blackcat
10-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi,
I am a pre reg (hopefully reg in the next couple of weeks)
My name is chrissy and I start my pre reg course in jan, I am a qualified HLTA.
does anyone have any advice to do with anything childminding? :jump for joy:

birch24
12-12-2010, 12:56 PM
What sort of advice do you need?

If you think of anything we can help answer it.

x

Penny1959
12-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Hello,

There is loads of advice on the forum - but if you have a specific question - just ask

Penny :)

Blackcat
12-12-2010, 02:17 PM
how do you get started , how did you all advertise the first time?
what are going rates?
do you charge p/h or by full day or mixture?

manjay
12-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Hello,

There is loads of advice on the forum - but if you have a specific question - just ask

I agree! If I were to give you all my little snippets of advice I might be here all day:rolleyes:

Ask away and we will help

keeks
12-12-2010, 05:30 PM
how do you get started , how did you all advertise the first time?
what are going rates?
do you charge p/h or by full day or mixture?

To get started you need to contact your local council. They can advice you on when the next childminding briefing meeting is taking place in your area. At the briefing you will get a lot of information and the opportunity to ask questions.

Rates vary by area. In my area the rates are quite high, usually between £4 and£ 5.50 ph. You can usually get this information from your local council too. You don't want to charge too little or too much compared to other minders in your area.

Different people choose to charge in different ways. It is up to you, it's your business, you set the rules. It may be a good idea to talk to other minders in your local area to see what they do before you decide.

I personally just have an hourly rate. I don't give any discounts and I don't do special rates for full time etc.

Have a look around this website, especially the "starting childminding and pre registration visits" section. There is lots and lots of information and advice there.

Good luck, and ask away if you have questions!
xx

Polly2
12-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I had a look at my local family information services website to see what others were charging and what services they offered.

You can also get good ideas from other childminders websites about rates and the way people charge etc.

I found best way to advertise is by word of mouth. Go along to toddler groups, baby shops etc and introduce yourself. Childcare.co.uk is also good.

Blackcat
13-12-2010, 01:49 PM
To get started you need to contact your local council. They can advice you on when the next childminding briefing meeting is taking place in your area. At the briefing you will get a lot of information and the opportunity to ask questions.

Rates vary by area. In my area the rates are quite high, usually between £4 and£ 5.50 ph. You can usually get this information from your local council too. You don't want to charge too little or too much compared to other minders in your area.

Different people choose to charge in different ways. It is up to you, it's your business, you set the rules. It may be a good idea to talk to other minders in your local area to see what they do before you decide.

I personally just have an hourly rate. I don't give any discounts and I don't do special rates for full time etc.

Have a look around this website, especially the "starting childminding and pre registration visits" section. There is lots and lots of information and advice there.

Good luck, and ask away if you have questions!
xx

I am on the course starting jan 11, the lady running it advised me to apply for my ofsted as I am a hlta and have all the certs , including FH and FA.

none of the local childminders seem to have websites, and hte couple who do don't advertise there prices

Penny1959
14-12-2010, 05:56 AM
I am on the course starting jan 11, the lady running it advised me to apply for my ofsted as I am a hlta and have all the certs , including FH and FA.

none of the local childminders seem to have websites, and hte couple who do don't advertise there prices

Not sure where you live but for some ideas you could look at my website (worcestershire prices are low compared to a lot of areas) www.*********************

Blackcat
14-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Not sure where you live but for some ideas you could look at my website (worcestershire prices are low compared to a lot of areas) www.*********************

thank you :clapping: