PDA

View Full Version : Using a creche whilst childminding

Pippa
14-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Hi I wondered if anyone has some advice please!

I have a full-time vacancy for an under 5 at the moment but am really keen to keep one day of my week free so I can be with my own kids, catch up on house work/paper work etc. A mum has contacted me and wants me to look after her 13 mth boy for 5 days a week, 8:30 - 5:30. I have said that I would prefer something part time but she is really desperate and seems to think the place is hers! (We haven't even met yet)

She is coming over tomorrow and I was wondering about taking her boy on but seeing if she would agree to me putting him in my gym creche for 3 hours one morning a 3 week. (I would pay the fees). The creche there is excellent and my children always happy there - they let you go off-site for bookings of 3 or more hours.

This would give me a little bit of time each week to "catch up"! However even if she agrees to this, I don't know if it's something a childminder can do and what Ofsted would say. Does anyone know about this?

ajs
14-04-2008, 07:28 PM
i don't know how ethical this is to be honest as you are getting paid to have the child but if mum agrees it may be ok
although i think that ofsteds rule is no more than 2 hours ina creche with written parental permission

Rubybubbles
14-04-2008, 07:32 PM
I have a lo 3 days a week he attends creche 9.15-1145 on these days, I have always had children do this (although the crech is linked to the pre-school so not like yours IYSWIM!) parents pay as it is their choice to put them in, but I do encourage it for like to say time to do paperwork

But as mum NEEDS you maybe you could offer this as an alternative as in mum pay she drops of top you, you do drop of and pick up (I do charge retainer for whilst they are there) and bobs your uncle:laughing:

Pippa
14-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi I know what you mean about being unethical - I don't know if I'd feel right doing it but just thought I'd see what my options are and what other people think. I could just say no to the Mum as I'd prefer part time work but if she's really keen and happy with the idea then I thought I'd look into it.

Lou
14-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I have to be honest and i sincerely do not want to offend anyone, just my personal opinion that i think this is wrong.

If i were a parent paying a childminder, it is not something i would want.

It would be a different matter if you had to attend some childminding related training, and there was a creche provided, but to go to the gym or shopping is totally different.

like i say just my opinion and dont want to offend x

crazybones
14-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I have to be honest and i sincerely do not want to offend anyone, just my personal opinion that i think this is wrong.

It would be a different matter if you had to attend some childminding related training, and there was a creche provided, but to go to the gym or shopping is totally different.

I agree with Lou, sorry.

Lottie
14-04-2008, 07:54 PM
My view is that the parent is paying you to mind her child not anyone else.

Perhaps it would be easier for you if you can re-arrange your time? Wouldn't it be easier to have the weekends to catch up and spend time with the family? Or maybe this scenario shows you that having two full timers just doesn't work in your situation.

Surely the lady in question could find another childminder who has the time?

Rubybubbles
14-04-2008, 07:58 PM

none taken here:D parents want to put them in to our local one as it's really good:thumbsup: my dd went too and it's all good for my working with other settings we all get on (haha is that uncommon hehe)

Pauline
14-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Sorry to be a wet blanket - but you are NOT allowed and you would get into big trouble if Ofsted found out. Seriously, don't do it.:panic:

The only time a childminder can put a child in a creche is if it for training that will enhance their childminding. You must also get written permission from parents to do it.

:)

Pippa
14-04-2008, 08:22 PM
To everyone who's replied - thanks for your opinions and I am not offended at all.

Like I said, I don't know if I'd feel right doing it and have always said in the past that I think it is something a childminder shouldn't do as a parent is entrusting YOU with their child and nobody else.

I was interested to see if this is an option but after more thinking have decided that the whole thing would get too complicated and I should just tell the Mum that I can't have her child full time. :)

namtasha
14-04-2008, 08:36 PM
i use a creche at swimming so i can go in with my ds and them my mindeed baby seperatly (i run through in a towel to swap babies!!) have mums permission is this ok???
worried now, the creche is run by pre school learming allience and swmming is provided by sure atart they know baby is a mindee

Rubybubbles
14-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Sorry to be a wet blanket - but you are NOT allowed and you would get into big trouble if Ofsted found out. Seriously, don't do it.:panic:

The only time a childminder can put a child in a creche is if it for training that will enhance their childminding. You must also get written permission from parents to do it.

:)

When I had my inspection nothing was said about the fact the lo went to creche full 5 mornings a week, because the parents choose to put them in does that make it okay?? bit worried now, but then saying that all my children that currently go will be leaving me in the summer:(

OMG all of the childminders here do pick ups and drop off to the creche

Pauline
14-04-2008, 08:50 PM
When I had my inspection nothing was said about the fact the lo went to creche full 5 mornings a week, because the parents choose to put them in does that make it okay?? bit worried now, but then saying that all my children that currently go will be leaving me in the summer:(

OMG all of the childminders here do pick ups and drop off to the creche

It depends what you are calling a creche.

To me a creche is somewhere where children are just looked after while you go and do something else, e.g. swim, gym, shopping, courses, first aid etc.

5 mornings a week sounds more like a pre-school to me and in that case, if the parents want them to go there then that sounds ok. Very much a grey area that should be cleared up by Ofsted.

Twinkles
14-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Very much a grey area that should be cleared up by Ofsted.

:ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Rubybubbles
14-04-2008, 08:56 PM
It depends what you are calling a creche.

To me a creche is somewhere where children are just looked after while you go and do something else, e.g. swim, gym, shopping, courses, first aid etc.

5 mornings a week sounds more like a pre-school to me and in that case, if the parents want them to go there then that sounds ok. Very much a grey area that should be cleared up by Ofsted.

the creche that is here is linked to the pre-school and they follow eyfs, ofsted inspected (as more than 2 1/2 hours), feeling bit better now I think about it!!

I can see what OP saying like just dropping the lo off to creche per say

Oh I confuse myself sometimes:laughing:

miffy
15-04-2008, 05:54 AM

I agree

miffy xx

Pauline
15-04-2008, 06:34 AM
the creche that is here is linked to the pre-school and they follow eyfs, ofsted inspected (as more than 2 1/2 hours), feeling bit better now I think about it!!

Oh I'm absolutely sure that is fine, don't worry. :)

angeldelight
15-04-2008, 06:38 AM
This parent will just have to fit in with your hours or not at all

Hope you manage to sort something out with the parent

Good luck

Angel xx

angeldelight
15-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Sorry Emma yes I agree with Pauline about that it is fine

Angel xx

ajs
15-04-2008, 06:57 AM
namtasha i am sure your creche is absolutley fine
you have parental permission and it is under 2 hours i really wouldn't worry about it.
as pauline says it's another grey area but to be honest if parents are happy with whatever arrangements we make between ourselves then surely that should be their decision not ofsteds

i am currently doing my first aid course and leaving the kids in a creche within the children's centre and run by the care play and learn workers that work there full time.
i have written permission and don't leave them for more than 2 hours a time.
i thought that one of my parents would say no but she surprised me by signing the letter as i handed it to her.:)

Rubybubbles
15-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Sorry Emma yes I agree with Pauline about that it is fine

Angel xx

I phoned Ofsted this morning about this and they have said due to the sort of creche it's no problem:clapping:

angeldelight
15-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Who needs Ofsted when you have us haha

xxx

Minnie Minx
15-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Who needs Ofsted when you have us haha

xxx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: but also :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

xxx

Pauline
15-04-2008, 11:45 AM
if parents are happy with whatever arrangements we make between ourselves then surely that should be their decision not ofsteds

Fraid it's not as simple as that though, because even though parents are happy and give permission if the reason is just for a gym visit or something for yourself then you would be breaking the terms of your registration and therefore you insurance would be invalid if there was a cause to claim.

i am currently doing my first aid course and leaving the kids in a creche within the children's centre and run by the care play and learn workers that work there full time.
i have written permission and don't leave them for more than 2 hours a time.
i thought that one of my parents would say no but she surprised me by signing the letter as i handed it to her.:)

First Aid is fine, anything to do with furthering your childminding is permitted. :)