PDA

View Full Version : Un-prescribed Medication

Kangaroo
09-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi All,

I new here. I was just wondering if any of you give un-prescribed medication to your mindees, ie capol. Just wanted to know as I was advised not to give any medicine unless prescribed by gp. I know everyone operates slightly differently but just wanted to know generally. Thanks:)

Goatgirl
09-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi :),
I do in certain circumstances, such as if a child becomes poorly while they are with me, just whilst I am waiting for someone to come and get them. I call to speak to the parent first and get them to sign when they arrive.

Or say if a child has seen a doctor, isn't infectious, but needs pain relief... Ear ache?! sprained wrist? toothache? ...and is fine to do normal things when they have taken the medicine.

I don't do nursing though... If they feel ill, or have a lurgy, they go home.

Hope this helps a bit,

bws,
Wendy :)

Chatterbox Childcare
09-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I do aswell if the child is teething, had injections etc.

I just use to get the basic permission and get the forms signed when the parent came back to collect. Now I ask for permission each time by text or email and I print it off and put with the permission book and then get a signature when they collect.

Penny1959
09-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I have a specific pre agreement from parents for me to give ONE dose of Calpol (or similar of their choice) and the amount to give 2.5 ml or 5ml.

This is in case I can not get hold of them by phone for verbal agreement if their child has a high temperature.

Where possible I do get verbal agrement each time and parents sign to say dose given EVERY time when they collect the child.

Personally I do not think it fair to the child not to give calpol if they need it just because parent turned phone off / has flat battery. There is also a risk if do not give that the child's temperature may continue to rise to a dangerous level.

Penny :)

sarah707
09-12-2010, 07:01 PM
When the Eyfs first came out it said that you could not give un-prescribed medication.

However there were some revisions and one of them was a change in the wording.

We can give medication as long as there is a medical need to do so and as long as we have prior written permission from parents.

You need a form which gives you permission to administer infant paracetamol then, if something happens and you are worried about the child, you need to contact parents and check when it was last given (so you are not overdosing the child).

Then give and sign your medication form to say it is given.

Parents must sign the same day to say they were aware that the medication was given.

hth :D

miffy
09-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Here is the link to the latest Ofsted fact sheet about administering medication

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Giving-medication-to-children-in-registered-childcare

Miffy xx

Carol M
10-12-2010, 08:39 AM
I also have a permission form signed by parents for 1 dose of infant paracetamol or a medicine that the parents wish (they provide a bottle) eg Parapead for use in an emergency eg sudden raise in temp, bump to head. In an emergency situation I would obviously be contacting parents asap but possibly 1 dose of calpol could save a life eg meningitis.
I would also give for general health issues like teething but would then fill in a daily form. If a parent wants the child to have calpol over a long period of time I would request it to be prescribed by a doctor.
Carol xx

Kangaroo
10-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Thank you all for your advice. I will be reviewing my policy and as suggested will get parents to sign a form for 1 dose of capol etc, in case of emergency.

XX:)