PDA

View Full Version : Fees for ate notice of holiday?

venus89
09-12-2010, 01:25 PM
I look after a child who comes to me through SS. I have the child five days a week in the holidays, including bank holidays. I was fully expecting - and quite prepared - to work every weekday of the school holidays but have just had an email from SS saying they've discussed Mum having the child from the 24th-28th December and then the 31st December-3rd January, meaning I would have her 5 days less than I thought.

The 27th and 28th are, I think, Bank Holidays/ And I imagine the 3rd is too? If so, with the other days, I'll nearly £200 lighter than I thought I was going to be just after Christmas......

Now in theory as I ask for 4 weeks notice of holidays and they haven't given me it I could ask for all the money, as if I had worked the bank holidays (at time and a half) but that seems petty. However, do you think it reasonable to ask for my normal fee for those 5 days? That's a bit over £100 so will still give me a bit of money (if they ever pay it :rolleyes: ) but is a compromise...

venus89
09-12-2010, 01:26 PM
and that would be fees for Late notice of holiday..... :blush:

Goatgirl
09-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Hi :),
Personally I'd charge as usual.
How about sending an email back, nice and cheery: Thankyou for the update... Of course that's fine, Glad Mum is going to spend time with child etc etc
Obviously I have to charge for the holidays on this occasion as I do stipulate in my contracts that 4 weeks notice is needed to cancel care. Anything less makes it impossible to balance my finances.

No need to feel bad about it. A contract is a contract.

bws,
Wendy :)

wendywu
09-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Just because its SS makes no difference a contract is a contract and thats the end of it. Its not coming out of their own pockets so i would charge as normal.:mad:

venus89
09-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Oh I have no problem charging them for it - I'm still waiting for September, October and November's fees so they're not in my good books - but would you charge the time and a half for the bank holidays even though you're not working them?

Goatgirl
09-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Oh I have no problem charging them for it - I'm still waiting for September, October and November's fees so they're not in my good books - but would you charge the time and a half for the bank holidays even though you're not working them?

If that's what the contract says... yep! :)

wendywu
09-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Yes i would :thumbsup:

venus89
09-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Okay, well I've told them....

Now to hassle the other parents to find out if they're actually planning on taking time off..... I may have a couple f days off in the holidays at this rate.....

Chatterbox Childcare
09-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Do you have a contract with SS or mum? If so I would charge too

venus89
09-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Do you have a contract with SS or mum? If so I would charge too

SS (in theory :D ) pay me....

miffy
09-12-2010, 06:17 PM

Yes, if it says so in your contracts.

You should have late payment fees written in there too! I know SS can be behind with payments but having fees outstanding from Septemeber is beyond a joke!

Miffy xx

The Juggler
09-12-2010, 09:04 PM

my ss department don't pay bank holidays hon, do you have a contract with them which states this, or not?? I had a contract with SS and then my own one with the parent.

I would though make it clear to ss that the other days are payable. I might even call them and make it clear that unless the fees in arrears are paid by 1st January you will with withholding care until the acccount is paid up in full:angry:

venus89
10-12-2010, 12:50 PM
my ss department don't pay bank holidays hon, do you have a contract with them which states this, or not?? I had a contract with SS and then my own one with the parent.

I would though make it clear to ss that the other days are payable. I might even call them and make it clear that unless the fees in arrears are paid by 1st January you will with withholding care until the acccount is paid up in full:angry:

Because I'm contracted to have LO on the bank holidays then they pay and (though I'll have to check) I'm pretty sure the contract states time and a half for bank holidays. The contract was drawn up between the social worker, parent and myself, all together, as SS have parental responsibility and pay the fees.

As to the late fees, they'll come - Social worker said yesterday she's trying to hurry them through as knows I've been waiting> And althought he amount is the same, 3 months' wages in one lump sum looks like a lot more!