PDA

View Full Version : Obs for learning journeys, can it be mostly short obs?

Ripeberry
08-12-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm asking as my first obs were very in depth with aspects included for each and every one! This put me off them for a while, but I've carried on with photos and post it obs.
Of course I will still do in-depth obs for anything big that changes, but at the moment, most of the obs are to do with language and interacting with others and that can't be photographed :rolleyes:

Just trying to get all of summer's obs and autumns obs in the LJ ready for Xmas and its a right panic at the moment :(

sarah707
08-12-2010, 06:28 PM
A lot of mine are very short - just a few words to say what the child is saying or doing along with ideas for next steps.

I tend to link on the obs page to one of the 6 areas of L & D and then link in more detail with a date on the ages and stages grids the child is sitting within at the time.

I find longer obs are great when something I want to focus on happens, but most of the time a few words are fine.

At the end of the day who is going to read pages of words?

Hth :D

funemnx
08-12-2010, 06:34 PM
All of mine are short, a photo, link to EYFS, next steps and a few lines - I'm only just getting the hang of the short ones!

Had a letter the other day about the summative report saying it could be used instead of L & D records!

Ripeberry
08-12-2010, 07:25 PM
All of mine are short, a photo, link to EYFS, next steps and a few lines - I'm only just getting the hang of the short ones!

Had a letter the other day about the summative report saying it could be used instead of L & D records!

Is this the kind of thing pre-schools use? When they produce them, they look so slick and to the point, but then most kids are only with them for a couple of years or so.

miffy
08-12-2010, 07:40 PM
I use a lot of photos and a few words description - I don't think anyone would be interested in lots of dialogue.

Miffy xx