PDA

View Full Version : Mindees are so messy!!

buzzy bee
08-12-2010, 07:22 AM
They don't put lids back on glue and pens, no matter how many times I ask them

When they're doing arts and crafts they drop little bits on the floor and don't pick them up, when there are babies crawling round on the floor and I keep asking them to

They don't put things away when they're finished

If we've done baking or anything they go and touch door handles with sticky fingers

They've totally destroyed my tablecloths with food mess and arts and crafts mess

They get food crumbs all over the floor

The list goes on!

I'm sure the over 8s should be a bit better than this... are your's the same? I feel like a broken record always asking them to do things repeatedly!!

The Juggler
08-12-2010, 07:27 AM
I would just get tough. my dd and ds still leave stuff out at the weekends when they finish, I make em come back and do it. Just tell them they don't leave the room until they help tidy and if they get their painty fingers over the door handles, give em a cloth and nicely ask them to go wipe it down. That should make them remember;)

Vickster
08-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Sympathy to you, all you can do is keep on asking. Buy a ticker timer and make tidying up a game. Tidy with them. Get an oil cloth for your table just for minding, we have an old one. Persistance is key....

angeldelight
08-12-2010, 07:52 AM
They don't put lids back on glue and pens, no matter how many times I ask them

When they're doing arts and crafts they drop little bits on the floor and don't pick them up, when there are babies crawling round on the floor and I keep asking them to

They don't put things away when they're finished

If we've done baking or anything they go and touch door handles with sticky fingers

They've totally destroyed my tablecloths with food mess and arts and crafts mess

They get food crumbs all over the floor

The list goes on!

I'm sure the over 8s should be a bit better than this... are your's the same? I feel like a broken record always asking them to do things repeatedly!!

I know what you mean sometimes it can be a pain but .......

Just think of the fun the children are having though :laughing:

Its part and package of our job I think

Encourage them to help tidy up ask them to help you rather than telling them what to do. Make tidy up time fun, have a race etc see who who tidy up first .....

A messy house is a happy house

Angel xx

sillysausage
08-12-2010, 10:24 AM
I have a vinyl tablecloth on my dining table and it is very easy to clean glue/paint etc off. You can often buy it by the metre in fabric shops or on the market (if you have one). I also keep the dustpan and brush next to the bin where it is readily accessible so that all children (from about 3ish) can have a go a sweeping up any mess. Littlies really enjoy sweeping up (for a while anyway...then the novelty wears off lol)

I would definitely agree with getting tough. Older children should be able to tidy up after themselves.

kindredspirits
08-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I think tbh thats part of the job! buy a cheap roll of wipedown table cloth from dunelm so they can't ruin your table cloth.
Make sure they wash their hands straight away after doing anything sticky - or leave doors open so they don't have to touch the door handles.

buzzy bee
08-12-2010, 04:13 PM
I think tbh thats part of the job! buy a cheap roll of wipedown table cloth from dunelm so they can't ruin your table cloth.
Make sure they wash their hands straight away after doing anything sticky - or leave doors open so they don't have to touch the door handles.

That's part of the problem - they DON'T wash their hands straight away even though I ask them too and even if the doors are open, they'll still touch things - the other day we used red food colouring for something and I found a red hand print on the door frame in the kitchen - not even the door!! And then there's the stair gates... grr!!

mama2three
08-12-2010, 05:01 PM
If were are particularly messy then I bring a bowl of soapy water to the mindees , and they dont get down from the table , or the worksurface , til they are cleaned up . felt pen lids drive me mad , Ive taken to sitting with them when they colour just so I can constantly remind one particular child to put the lid on before he takes another colour.
My house is always messy , we all love experimenting with messy play so I have to live with it! I do drive everyone nuts at cm group with my suggestions for activities. I must admit the shaving foam and porridge oat snow did take quite a while to hoover up!!:blush:

SYLVIA
08-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Whilst I accept mess is part of our job, i do feel children need to be gently introduced to helping tidy and put away. 8 year olds should certainly be helping set examples to younger ones.

mushpea
09-12-2010, 07:06 AM
I also think that its part of our job to put up with mess but when the children are old enough to tidy up and understand what they are doing then i think delibriatly not helping to tidy and putting hand prints everywhere is unaceptable,,,, if mine dont help tidy then i make them come back and help if they still dont help then they dont get to do the craft next time or prehaps miss out on the tv program i promised them and sometimes if the rest r tidying and one isnt then I will say well done everyone you have done enough tidying,,X can do the rest as they didnt bother to help.
I have actutaly banned the older ones from playdough now cause after repeatedly asking them to pickup the little bits they dropped on the floor and after picking of my carpet each time i got fed up with and said no more.
Another thing i found usuful is giving them all a specific job ie x puts the pens away, z puts the glue away etc then when its not done properly you know who it was that didnt do it,
with hand washing i have now got in the habbit of sending them one at a time,, if they have to sit at the table and wait with messy hands then so be it, when one has done i check their hands as they come back then have a quick check of the bathroom then send the next one.
mine are getting better but then they know i mean what i say and that they will miss out next time if they dont stick to the rules.
I think you just have to be firm but fair.

Chatterbox Childcare
09-12-2010, 07:59 AM
That's part of the problem - they DON'T wash their hands straight away even though I ask them too and even if the doors are open, they'll still touch things - the other day we used red food colouring for something and I found a red hand print on the door frame in the kitchen - not even the door!! And then there's the stair gates... grr!!

You need to set the rules - not getting down from the table until fingers are clean - have a pack of wet wipes to hand all the time

miffy
09-12-2010, 08:14 AM
I agree that mess is part of this job BUT I do also think that children should be taught to tidy up after themselves.

You need to get tough and insist one lot of mess is tidied away before another lot is started.

Miffy xx