PDA

View Full Version : Withholding childcare until payment is received?

kymberly
07-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure what to do.....

New mindee started last month and paid me by cheque. I've asked for payment in advance and bank transfer was to be set up for this month (from 1st Dec). The child was sick last week and only attends Wed, Th, Fri so will be coming tomorrow. I spoke to mum last week and she said it should be through and all, I text her today and asked whats happening and no reply.

When she comes tomorrow, I am not really happy minding the child without payment but it is so awkward to say 'no payment, no childcare'. I've been stung in the past with a non-payer and don't want to be in that position again but don't want to seem unfriendly or un-flexible to this new family :eek:

Any ideas how to do deal with this?

acorns
07-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Could she give you a cheque tomorrow? Did you take a deposit that could cover any non -payment so you can give her the benfit of the doubt for a couple of days? Think i'd be firm saying that you havent't received her payment which as she know's is due in advance (have copy of fees policy to give her) & unless she can pay by the end of the week then you will be unable to mind next week. On the other hand, if you don't have a deposit I'd request payment by end of the day or you will be unable to provide care from Thursday. Does she work for free?:rolleyes:

Penny1959
08-12-2010, 02:58 AM
In the past - I have refused on 2 occassions - to let a child in when payment not made - it puts them on the spot - as stood there in work clothes but no childcare.

One went away mad with me - did not get money or notice period - never saw them again (but at least had not worked for nothing / run up expenses) Well rid of - I think - don't need parents like that.

Second went straight to cash machine and came back with money - children let in - parent late for work - but point made! Mindees stayed with me for another year - and never had payment issues with them again.

Since re registering - I have learnt from my past mistakes - and now have payment in cash or instant transfer on first of month (cheques 14 days before due date to allow for clearing) AND a speficic bit in my contract guidance notes to say if do not pay in advance and on time childcare will be withdrawn - and parents given one week to pay before contract is terminatated without further notice - and if they do pay up - the time they did not get childcare because had been withdrawn - would be paid for in full as place was available.

So YES I would withdraw childcare - actions speak louder than words.

Penny :)

mushpea
08-12-2010, 07:03 AM
as its only a few days i would do as the previous post said and say if not paid by the endof this week then no child care next week,,,,,
I let this happen and ended up 4 weeks out of pocket,, i rang the ncma who told e i had to work my notice period to get help reclamining my money,, if i refused child care i would also be in breech of contract and the wouldnt be able to help me so as my notie period was 4 wks i worked a good two months with out pay,, luckily my OH was in a well paid job at the time so it wasnt a major issue but now he's not and we need the cash i would definatly view things differently

Daftbat
08-12-2010, 07:07 AM
I would explain, just as you have on here, that you have had problems in the past and don't wish to be put in the same position. Give them a time limit which is reasonable and stick to it.

The Juggler
08-12-2010, 07:28 AM
I agree, if this is the first time, explain to her your policy of both late fees and that if the problem is not resolved your may withhold your care until payment due.

That should shock her into action - hopefully:)