PDA

View Full Version : How do I set up my own website?

acorns
07-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I want to design my own website but am really not sure where to start. those of you that have one - how did you go about sorting it out, do you need any special programs or have you found any free downloadable ones better than other. Do you find the website of much help in generating business? Do parents generally like the idea?
thanks

manjay
07-12-2010, 02:43 PM
There are quite a few options out there for doing your own website or Pauline does them for a small cost.

Initially I had a professional one made for me but it was too much hassle getting it changed (and as I like to do that alot it was a pain!). Mine is created through Microsoft office and I pay a minimal amount for my domain name every few years. I chose this one as I didn't want advertising on my website. I think some others on here use freewebs and maybe they will be along to give you some info on that.

I have had a small amount of business from mine but I find it is most useful in giving prospective parents all the info about my setting. That way I dont have to use a whole load of paper only for them to decide they don't like the way I do things:rolleyes:

youarewhatyoueat
07-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Have a look at moonfruit it looks quite simple or thats what i'm hoping.

suzyblue
07-12-2010, 05:29 PM
I use Microsoft Office live too and its great. Easy to set up (took a couple of days to work it out and get it all done) I add pictures regularly and its easy to update. Parents often contact me through the website and if they dont then I direct them to it for information, then they can come back to me if they are interested. Its very useful and as said I use it as a portfolio too, saves printing it all out. Parents can refer to it for holiday dates etc.