PDA

View Full Version : Lovely parents, child Really HARD work ???

maryp0ppins
07-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I have posted before about mindee 8 months old who I have mon-thur 8-6...

I have minded numerous babies/children but I think I've been defeated with this LO.:panic:

I'm finding it extremely difficult & hard work if I'm honest. I have 2 other babies I mind (variation granted of course) one is 6 months (mon-tues) & a 8 month (wed-fri) as well as nearly 4 yr old (we-fri) & 3 after schoolies (odd days).

LO IS NOT HAPPY whatever I do during the day. I set toys, activities out, crafts, reading, outings the other are ok (I'm not saying they never cry, & I've never met a baby who doesn't yet) But she is constantly NOT happy---unless I am picking her up & walking around.

She is also jealous of the other babies...If I need to give them a bottle, change their nappy, or just give them cuddles...she just screams as well as cries!!:(

Advice is good, but not sure anything else will help....I'm thinking of giving notice.:huh:

tashaleee
07-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Just wondered how mobile is the baby at 8 months? Also how long have you had them for?

candy cat
07-12-2010, 12:55 PM
I know it's hard,but it does get better......My mindee 1 took 4 mths and still is a needy child,but she screamed for 7-8 hrs until sick.....mindee 2 has taken 6 weeks:) and is a funny little girl now.still needs lots of reassurance though.
It will help when they are mobile.....have you tried putting her in pushchair at busy times with a favourite toy/comforter? Like me you probably have tried everything!

mine just stopped crying .....no magic solutions i'm afraid ha! good luck x

curlycathy
07-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Aw hun I'm so sorry things aren't any better for you with this mindee and you have her for such long hours too.

Have you spoken to parents about it and what they do with her at home? I suspect she is picked up all the time at home - which is just not good for anyone. I know its hard but it will pass - only you know if you can cope with it until it does. What about trying to reduce her hours for a bit so that she's picked up earlier - is there a grandparent or other person who could come and get her? Then gradually start lengthening the days again.

I really don't know what to suggest - you just can't pick her up and carry her around all the time, and give the other mindees your attention as well. I know from your posts on here that you have tried just about everything - it seems its just a question of time.

Sending you a hug - would send ear defenders if I could!

:group hug:

maryp0ppins
07-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Just wondered how mobile is the baby at 8 months? Also how long have you had them for?

Not yet crawling, & I've had her 6 weeks :blush: but its full on Monday to Thursday.

I know 6 weeks is not that long but I thought with her being here more than at home she'd adapt. I have never had such an awkward time at minding in the last 4 years. Even my ad hoc little ones have always settled in good time & i only have them once or twice a month!!:(

maryp0ppins
07-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Aw huI'm so sorry things aren't any better for you with this mindee and you have her for such long hours too.

Have you spoken to parents about it and what they do with her at home? I suspect she is picked up all the time at home - which is just not good for anyone. I know its hard but it will pass - only you know if you can cope with it until it does. What about trying to reduce her hours for a bit so that she's picked up earlier - is there a grandparent or other person who could come and get her? Then gradually start lengthening the days again.

I really don't know what to suggest - you just can't pick her up and carry her around all the time, and give the other minds your attention as well. I know from your posts on here that you have tried just about everything - it seems its just a question of time.

Sending you a hug - would send ear defenders if I could!

:group hug:

yes she is held all the time at home. Mum even says so. Mum will say LO had a good weekend, hardly any crying, but then in the next breath mum is telling me LO has been sat on sofa cuddling up to dad all weekend as it was too cold to go out....That's all good but they need to leave her to maybe play?!?

Grandparents live to far away to pick up & not sure parents would like me messing them around reducing hours etc although it's a good idea.

I've spoke to hubby about it as he can tell I'm not "enjoying work" like I used to. He said give it till Xmas & it nothing gives in the mean time maybe terminate contract!! This is the first time I'd have done this also, so I'm feeling worried about it & it's not even happening yet.

curlycathy
07-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Definitely call the parents in for a meeting/review. Have as much written down as you can - try to keep a log of whats happening so you have some evidence to show them.

Then discuss a way forward. They need to understand that the little one needs to learn to play or sit or just be on her own without being held ALL the time and the only way she will learn to do that is if they are on board too.

Maybe have a timescale so that if things don't improve you will give notice. If they know this they might be more inclined to work with you and maybe reduce hours slightly for a while.

I really hope you can sort this out xxx

The Juggler
07-12-2010, 02:32 PM
i know of several little ones who have become more settled once mobile/walking. Might be a while off though if she's only 8 months.:(