PDA

View Full Version : SEF - it's so hard!!

buzzy bee
06-12-2010, 09:27 PM
How do you do it?

I'm not very good at bigging myself up... but it's really difficult to access things like 'how much do children enjoy learning and achieving' What do you say?!

Playmate
06-12-2010, 09:34 PM
The best thing I ever did (and many others on here :D ) was to purchase Sarah's E -book it made it soooooo much easier. I'm sure she will be along soon or someone who can give you the link to her website (coz I'm not clever enough to do that :blush: ) Good luck :D

HELEN10
06-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Yes i know what you mean, i started absolutely months ago and finally finished today:) Did have big gaps in between but even so it is never ending!!

I purchased Sarah's e book too and without it i can assure you i would still be doing it this time next year!!

Good luck:)

sarah707
06-12-2010, 10:05 PM
You really do need to sell yourself and what you do in your SEF.

The inspector has 3 hours or so to look around and make her judgements... anything you can do to help her and point her to the best of everything you do will be good.

Try to think about how what you do benefits the children. You can keep it simple...

Our menu and involving the children with cooking and buying food helps children learn about healthy eating.

Our activities involve children in all 6 areas of learning and development which means that children are constantly finding out about new things and challenged to enjoy their learning.

Our resources reflect the local area and the wider world which helps children learn about their place in the world around them.

Things like that really sell yourself because you are focussing on how you are helping the children to learn and develop.

If you think about it, it's all the stuff you do already!! Just think about how fab you are and write it down!

I hope that helps :D

buzzy bee
06-12-2010, 10:26 PM
You really do need to sell yourself and what you do in your SEF.

The inspector has 3 hours or so to look around and make her judgements... anything you can do to help her and point her to the best of everything you do will be good.

Try to think about how what you do benefits the children. You can keep it simple...

Our menu and involving the children with cooking and buying food helps children learn about healthy eating.

Our activities involve children in all 6 areas of learning and development which means that children are constantly finding out about new things and challenged to enjoy their learning.

Our resources reflect the local area and the wider world which helps children learn about their place in the world around them.

Things like that really sell yourself because you are focussing on how you are helping the children to learn and develop.

If you think about it, it's all the stuff you do already!! Just think about how fab you are and write it down!

I hope that helps :D

Thank you - this makes it seem much more clear :thumbsup:

Should it be focussed on the early years or can I use examples from my schoolies?

All my early years are under 1 so it's quite difficult to cover everything with just them!! I find a lot of the best examples are from my schoolies.

sarah707
07-12-2010, 07:40 AM
You need to focus on your Eyfs children because it's about the early years.

Ofsted do not inspect over 5s unless they spot something wrong or there is a complaint.

Hth :D

buzzy bee
07-12-2010, 08:18 AM
You need to focus on your Eyfs children because it's about the early years.

Ofsted do not inspect over 5s unless they spot something wrong or there is a complaint.

Hth :D

Thanks!

That's a shame cos I could come up with some good examples for them!

Never mind, I suppose it does make things simpler :)

nicoleon
07-12-2010, 09:58 AM
I have just completed mine at the weekend and finally submitted it yesterday! phew! I did buy Sarah's ebook though - without it I really couldn't have done it so I can highly recommend it to you. The guidance from Ofsted just confused me...

Good luck with it, it's agreat feeling when it's done ;)

Nicole x

buzzy bee
07-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Sarah... please can you give me the link to your ebook? maybe i'm being daft but i can't find it!

Chatterbox Childcare
07-12-2010, 12:55 PM
I didn't look at the SEF until I had answered the guidance and then copied and pasted it in

Sarah's website is at the bottom of all of her posts

pinkbutterfly
07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
I did my sef last week. I bought Sarah's book and I have to say that it did help a lot. Thanks Sarah.
I also went on SEF workshop but it was nowhere near to being as detailed as Sarah's book.

Pixie dust
07-12-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm not very good at bigging myself up...

I know what you mean, Mrs O said I had been very hard on myself and should have given myself higher judgements but I think it's hard for people to say "yes I am outstanding" we mark ourselves down