PDA

View Full Version : Help potty training special needs child

suemac69
06-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I have a lovely little girl aged 4 at christmas who has quite a lot of learning difficulties, we have been potty training for about 4 weeks now and not really getting anywhere and Im now beginning to feel the strain especially at teatime with 5 other children in the house (1 aged 18mths) and the demands of getting everyone fed and ready for home. Nursery School are insisting that she is being toliet trained but I dont think she is ready and she doesnt really have any understanding about how to do NO2's.

As you can imagine its lots of dirty pants through out the day which I can cope with during the day but at teatime its getting to me as she is taking all my time / attention and I dont have the time to get everything else done.

Is there anyone in the same boat who could give me some advise or tips. Mum lets her go around her house with nothing on and she uses the potty in the living room which seems to help a bit but I'm not prepared to do this as I also have the 18mth old who would probably have this one her head in minutes. Help Im sinking:idea: !!!!!!!!

youarewhatyoueat
06-12-2010, 10:17 PM
What county are you in? I would have a word with your do as in gloucestershire you may qualify for funding for a helper to assist you. Has she been assessed under Caf? and does she hav a lead professional that could help you work with the nursery and the parents. If you need a hand then you should ask for some funding before it runs out!!

teacake2
07-12-2010, 01:48 PM
The special needs child I have is just about coming up to this (5yrs), but in my opinion he is no where near ready, he doesn't know what he is doing, cannot tell anyone, cannot sit on the toilet himself, needs to be lifted on it etc, others seem to think he will be able to master it, but after having him here a couple of days due to not being at school it has been a complete waste of my time and his.
Sorry I can't help you but I will be watching this very closely.
There is no funding for anything round here, and as he lives in one council area and his childcare when needed is in another it is hopeless to try for anything (an old hand at trying for help over the years for him).
Teacake2

WibbleWobble
07-12-2010, 02:21 PM
i have a daughter with special needs, She wasnt toilet trained until she was 5 (9 by the time she was dry at night). I had help from the continence service. they said not to push her into getting trained...her learning age was so much lower that was the age she would be at with regards to toilet training. As soon as she told me that i felt lots better. She got me bigger nappies (katie was and is a big girl) and we all relaxed about it.....katie slowly got the hang of it. We didnt push the issue.

Dry now!!!:clapping:

actually she is now doing NVQ 1 hair and beauty - first time in her 18 years she has not had any special needs input YEAH!!!!!!!!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

mandy xxx

mrsoliver
07-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I agree that if children aren't ready (Special Needs or not) then don;t bother.

I also would be speaking with her Nursery School and asking them how the hell they think they are compliant under the DDA? This is an inclusion issue and I would be done there/ on the phone with my soap box.

AliceK
07-12-2010, 05:16 PM
I didn't think nursery were allowed to insist on a child being toilet trained what with inclusion and all that??? My DD is 3yrs and 4mths and is not ready to toilet train and she starts nursery in Jan. Nursery are fine with it.
Check it out, I'm sure they can't exclude for it

xxxxx

suemac69
07-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Thank you all for your replies at least I dont feel on my own. until now I've just sat back and just got on with it but my gut instinct says she isnt ready and she will start to get stressed about it. She hasnt been assessed by CAF yet but I understand this is in the process of happening.

I hadnt thought about inclusion (dont tell Ofsted). I was more worried about me not coping rather than why should nursery school make her do this when she obviously not ready.

I wasnt aware of any funding in Bradford /West Yorkshire but I'll look into it any help would be great.

The more I think about it nursery school probably dont have much idea about what she is doing as she is only there for 3hrs a day and there are another 22children in the class with 2/3 teachers. School say shes doing very well and goes to the toilet by herself but in reality I dont think they watch to see if she actually does anything when she gets there because Im sure she isnt as alot of the time she has damp or soild pant by the time we've walked home.

If I find anything out I will let you know. Thanks again Sue:clapping: