PDA

View Full Version : 8 Year old Activities

kel1983
06-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi
I have just taken on a 8 year old after school daily. It was her first day today. I had crafts out for the 20 month old I lok after so I thought I would leave it out for her.

She seemed to relly enjoy herself. She went home wearing most the glitter. She went through quite a lot of my craft stuff so I dont really want her doing that everyday. Although I'mm sure she was love to.

I aim to do baking with her once a week and one day I only have her for about an half an hour so it will be something relaxing but I could really do with some ideas for the other 3 days.

If anyone could give me some ideas I would be so greatful

Many thanks
Kelly

Bear23
06-12-2010, 07:48 PM
I struggle with my older one to be honest, i've had her for two years, every night!!

She likes to play with the little ones tho, with dolls and polly pockets.

She also like making a mess... So we have one night of messy play, cornflour with food colouring etc.

Sometimes we have the wii on, I find a dvd evry other week, especially on a friday helps lol

amanda1309
06-12-2010, 07:57 PM
my dd is 8 and she loves a note book and pen.

You can get them in packs in most £ shops. She likes to write stories and things in them.

She is also happy with a few colouring pen or pencils and a note book.

We have laods of Little people stuff and when its out her and my 2 after schhol girls also 8 love playing with that.

They also love to help with the little ones and helpig to prepare the evening meal and setting the table etc.

HTH

mushpea
06-12-2010, 08:05 PM
my older ones like hama beads, cooking,, making braclets etc from pasta, anything messy,painting, tv, wii,, playing with the others and being the teacher/childminder/mum!
maybe you could have a chat with her and see what she likes to do.

Daisy1956
06-12-2010, 09:01 PM
My older mindees love making things but we also do word searches,maze games, jigsaws, dominoes, bingo and they enjoy lego, playmobil and any kind of role-play.:)

Kes
06-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Why not give her a table with the days of the week to put her own activities in. Then your working with the children to do planning.

youarewhatyoueat
06-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Wish you lived near me(cotswolds) as i'm having a clear out of hama beads etc and would have gladly dropped them off!!

kel1983
06-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks everyone your idea are all great..:thumbsup:

I have a Wii. Never really thought about that. Unfortuantely she is the only child I look after after school so she hasnt really got anyone else to play with.

Kes I love your idea of letting her plan her own activities. I think that would work. :clapping:

Thanks everybody. Youve been very helpful.

The Juggler
07-12-2010, 07:30 AM
i was laughing out loud at your post as was goiing to say judging by the state of my kitchen after school with my dd (8) and her friend (7) - anything that involves glitter:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: