PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Mindees who have birthdays near Xmas?

Ripeberry
06-12-2010, 04:06 PM
I've recently taken on two babies (diff days) and they both turn 1yr old in the next 10 days.
Would you, give them a birthday present and card AND include a Xmas present?
Or just the birthday gift?

Normally I would give them both, but it's so close together, difficult to know what to give them, plus I've known them for less than 1 month.

fionamal
06-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I would give a Birthday card and then a xmas pressie

rickysmiths
06-12-2010, 04:12 PM
I have one who has a birthday 3 days before Christmas. I have looked after her since she was 6mths old and she will be 5yrs this birthday. I have always got seperate presents and cards because I get all the other mindees a birthday present and a Christmas present and its not her fault her birthday is 3 days before Christmas.

They don't have to be big presents.

snufflepuff
06-12-2010, 05:11 PM
As someone with a birthday close to Christmas (27th Dec) i'd say get both, it only needs to be something small. They obviously won't know any different this year so not so much of an issue, but when they are older they will know that they are missing out. My birthday just seemed like an inconvenience to everyone! Still does actually!

teacake2
06-12-2010, 05:25 PM
I have a mindee who comes after school a couple of nights and on and off I have had him since he was 6 months old, he will be 11 on 19th December and I have always given him two separate gifts. Also many moons ago one I used to look after was a christmas day baby, he celebrated his birthday in the morning and christmas in the evening, nice way of doing it really as he did have a bit of a gap between.
Teacake2

miffy
06-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I would also say get two small presents. As a child I used to hate it when people said they'd bought me one "big" present for my birthday and Christmas. I know these little ones won't know the difference yet but their mums will.

Miffy xx

buzzy bee
06-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I'd do exactly what you would do if their birthdays were in June. It's not their fault they were born close to christmas but I bet a lot of people only do one or the other for them, so you should buck the trend :thumbsup:

lorimac
06-12-2010, 07:24 PM
I always do seperate cards and pressies no matter when the birthday falls, I have 1 birthday girl on boxing day and twins the day after that. Even if you just gave a wee book or something since you haven't minded them long.

Penny1959
06-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Agree 2 cards and 2 gifts.

I have two mindees who have birthdays near Christmas - one on 20th and one on 23rd.

Penny:)

Trouble
06-12-2010, 07:56 PM
i have my own to kids birthdays next week 3 days apart and they would be mortified if i said this is for birthday and christmas:panic: Although this year i have said it to my soon to be 17 year old son:eek: i feel bad but it the first time

Chimps Childminding
06-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I agree, 2 pressies. My ds was born on 20th December and I have a mindee who's birthday is new years eve - I always buy them separate presents as it has been said you would do it if their birthdays were later in the year!! If they haven't been with you long, you don't need to spend a fortune, its the thought that counts :thumbsup: I only ever spend about £5 on mindees for their birthday and the same at christmas!

Chell
06-12-2010, 08:24 PM
As you've known the babies such a short time I would just buy a card for their Birthday, no present.

juejue
06-12-2010, 08:26 PM
I have 3 mindees who's birthdays are on the 22nd. 24th and 26th.
I get them all a birthday n Christmas present. spend about £10 on each present.
works out alot of money.
We have 13 on our books to buy for as well . :panic:

venus89
06-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I have 3 mindees who's birthdays are on the 22nd. 24th and 26th.
I get them all a birthday n Christmas present. spend about £10 on each present.
works out alot of money.
We have 13 on our books to buy for as well . :panic:

:eek: 13

I have one whose birthday is tomorrow, my sister on the 18th, nephew on the 20th... My grandpas was the 31st december.

My sister always hated people lumbering her birthday and Christmas together.....

michellethegooner
06-12-2010, 08:57 PM
I have one who is 3 on 4th Jan always give her birthday & xmas present/ cards on last day before xmas as she is never back till 6/7th

My DS b/day is Boxing day and I always made sure they are 2 separate occasions, always ahs his b/day parties 1st wk end back to school, hate the 2 being stuck together, he is 12 this year,

My dads b/day today and my sister on the 23rd ::) then 2 in january dd and brother :eek:

Busy 2 months for me:rolleyes:

Ripeberry
06-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice :) I think it will be a 1st birthday card with small present and Xmas card with Xmas present...maybe a book and a soft toy of some kind :thumbsup:

gegele
06-12-2010, 10:47 PM
i have same thing, my dd is from the 31st i have a mindee who's 2 2weeks before xmas and one who is 1 3days before!!!!!

last year i bought mindee a soft dol for a birthday and little book box and choccies for xmas

i'll do the same this year. twice !!!:D

berkschick
06-12-2010, 10:52 PM
One of my mindees birthday is Christmas Day!

I always send home 2 gifts and 2 cards on her last day with me before Xmas. Her birthday is just as important as any of my other mindees is and she is treated exactly the same.

appleblossom
07-12-2010, 12:39 AM
I have three mindees with birthdays in November and December. I give them presents for birthday and Christmas, just as I would if their birthday was any other time of year. We always have a cake and candles too:thumbsup:

SamBaker
07-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Being someone who has their birthday on Christmas day:( I would defently say buy both, it is horrible having a Christmas Birthday as you miss out on so much especially parties! For my 30th, only 4 people turned up due to Christmas lol!! I used to get christmas cards with Happy Birthday in as well :mad:
Defently try and make it seperate days for them, it only gets worse as they get older :laughing:

The Juggler
07-12-2010, 07:29 AM
I'd do both. I had mindees on 17th Dec, 15th Dec and 28th - just made it something little!

LOOPYLISA
07-12-2010, 12:37 PM
My mums is 21st dec, she has a birthday card and pressie and xmas card and pressies, just make it smaller :thumbsup:

Mollymop
07-12-2010, 12:54 PM
I always get my lo's a birthday gift and card but because you have only known them for one month I would just get them a birthday card each and a gift for xmas.

If I had cared for them for longer I would get them a birthday gift on their birthdays.

My mum's birthday is on xmas day and she often says that she never used to get gifts for her birthday, just xmas gifts :(