PDA

View Full Version : How do you get paid?

crazyhazy
06-12-2010, 09:48 AM
A general question really and also some advice :)

How do your parents pay you?

At the moment one pays me weekly into my bank (she's the only one in arrears but pays me prompt on fri when her tax credits go in and hours change every week so easier in arrears), two pay in cash (monthly in advance) and the last one usually gives me a cheque.

I would prefer if they all paid me into my bank, it's a nuisance for me to get to the bank to pay money in and like today I'm overdrawn but have been handed cash by parent this morning, so need to find a way to get to town with the snow falling heavily here. I'm worried how one parent will react though, she thinks she knows best about everything and doesn't seem to trust internet/phone banking although does shop online :rolleyes: How much notice should I give, would a letter this week stating from jan all payments into my account be ok? Has anyone done similar and how did your parents react?

Thanks x

edayhouse
06-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Morning
i have 2 sets of parents
parent 1 pays me on the last day of the month by standing order
parent 2 pays me part kiddiecare vouchers (by end of the month) and the remainder by cheque - it works ok although some times it can take up to a week before i can get to the bank to put the cheque in.

x

sarah707
06-12-2010, 10:21 AM
I ask parents how they want to pay me (cheque, cash, vouchers or bank) and go with their wishes.

I think it's really important to be flexible. There is too much competition locally for me to be picky they'd just up and go elsewhere.

I keep a bit of credit in my account every month to cover outgoings in case payments are late or someone doesn't pay. :D

manjay
06-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I swapped all mine over to paying direct into my bank. I just put it that I would prefer to be doing other things with the children than traipsing into town to the bank!

fionamal
06-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Im like Sarah and work with the parents so it really depends on how they want to pay.

At the moment I have one who pays cash weekly on the Monday morning, another pays Monthly straight into my account and another is by cheque weekly.

youarewhatyoueat
06-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Bit difficult if parents don't use internet banking, it means that they would then have to go to the bank when its open to do a transfer.
Could you perhaps find an easier way to deposit cash, the post ofice accepts it for quite a few banks, not sure which ones. Could you pay it in on a saturday morning. Or do you have a friend or partner that works in town that could do it in their lunch hour.
Or if they pay cash on a monday morning could you ask for it a few days in advance to give you a chance to deposit it.
I struggle with cash as it never seems to reach my account as my children always seem to need it for school etc. it just vanishes!!!

Mouse
06-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I only have one parent now who pays by cheque, and even that's only for part of the fee as the rest is paid by vouchers.
It was OK before as DH was paid by cheque and DS was in town every day at college, so could easily go to the bank. DH is now paid straight into the bank & DS is at college out of town. None of us are ever near a bank to pay the cheque in. I've had one sat here for 2 weeks with no sign of it getting paid in. It's not for a huge amount & really not worth me having to get the bus to town with 3 little ones.

I'm going to ask the parents if they would mind changing to bank transfer or standing order. I don't think they'll mind, but if they do, I'll ask for cash instead (I know there is a cash point outside mum's work).

I do work in partnership with parents, but don't think I'm being unreasonable saying no cheques. Lots of places don't accept them now, including a couple of nurseries near me.

rickysmiths
06-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't do Internet Banking so if I was your parent and was asked to pay by this method I would be a bit stuffed.

I am paid by Vouchers that go straight into the bank, cheque top-ups and cash by one of my weeklyand monthly ones. I am always paid in advance, any changes are added to next month/weeks bill. I let the parents choose unless they get into arrears then it is strictly cash!

I have just agreed to give my bank details to 2 parents who have been with me 4yrs plus so they can transfer the top up money after voucher payment into my account.

Personally I wouldn't be happy giving this information to a new parent. hey ho I am super careful, I shread and burn any personal info, nothing, not even my address goes in the bin, but so far, touch wood I have never had any problems with my account or my cards.

georgie456
06-12-2010, 11:50 AM
I have 3 parents.
One pays into my bank via a mixture of vouchers and a monthly standing order,
one pays me cash every Monday
and the last pays by cheque - although I have advised her this morning that from January I am no longer accepting cheques as I cannot get into town duiring the week which delays payment. She will now be cash!

I generally let them pay me how they want - as long as they pay me!!!! However, the cheque thing is just a nightmare with having to wait days to get into town so I've slowly phased them out.

Winnie
06-12-2010, 11:50 AM
At the moment its all cash, but i do like it if parents pay straight into my bank account (and esp if its 'faster payments' ie same day). I accept vouchers but no-one has used them for ages. I do not take cheques anymore because i'm too far from a bank and chq just take too long to clear once you've got them in there. I did have a parent that was always late paying and paid with a chq, that was when i decided to revise my payment policy and not accept them anymore.
Mind you one of my parents keeps giving me £50 notes (& dont like having them in my purse) and parents often hand over notes and I never have enough change in the house so i generally carry the extra over to the next bill rather than fuss around trying to scrap change together.

crazyhazy
06-12-2010, 01:28 PM
A variety of responses, the thing is I know she does use internet and phone banking, both of which she could do a bank transfer to me through, she is my biggest payer too so even today which is a short month cos of xmas hols etc I have nearly £300 sat in my house, some months it's nearer £500 quite how she thinks that's safer than online/phone I'm not sure lol. I will ask again but maybe not in a letter just in passing and explain how difficult it is for me to get to the bank, h works in the middle of nowhere, my bank isn't open at weekends and I don't drive so would need to drag 3 little ones all the way to town walking/bus etc which in this weather is just silly. My other cash payer actually works next to the bank and is lovely so am sure if I ask will pay it straight in for me. Thanks to whoever mentioned the post office I didn't know that so will ask at the one round the corner cos that could be another option x

Stormy
06-12-2010, 01:59 PM
I get paid direct to my account, weekly! mixture of childcare vouchers and standing orders.
If a parent sets up a standing order with their bank either on the phone or in the branch or online, this will keep running until they cancel it. it needs to be for the same amount each time so any extras they owe could be paid for in cash.
If a parent understands that once its in place they dont have to do anything else they seem to be ok with the idea.
Parents who pay in cash have to withdraw the money from the bank and then pay you that seems more of an effort in my opinion x

The Juggler
06-12-2010, 02:01 PM
A variety of responses, the thing is I know she does use internet and phone banking, both of which she could do a bank transfer to me through, she is my biggest payer too so even today which is a short month cos of xmas hols etc I have nearly £300 sat in my house, some months it's nearer £500 quite how she thinks that's safer than online/phone I'm not sure lol. I will ask again but maybe not in a letter just in passing and explain how difficult it is for me to get to the bank, h works in the middle of nowhere, my bank isn't open at weekends and I don't drive so would need to drag 3 little ones all the way to town walking/bus etc which in this weather is just silly. My other cash payer actually works next to the bank and is lovely so am sure if I ask will pay it straight in for me. Thanks to whoever mentioned the post office I didn't know that so will ask at the one round the corner cos that could be another option x

I would not want responsibility of having £500 in the house or carrying it to the bank for that matter. Not to mention hassle of getting to the bank,as you say.

All my parents pay by direct debit. I'll accept a cheque a week in advance so I have time to go to bank and for it to clear but a minimum of a week.;)

mrs_scottydog
06-12-2010, 02:09 PM
My main mindee's parents do a bank transfer into my account.
My after schoolie's parents pay through Care4 straight into my account too.
They both pay in arrears but if I take on any more mindees I'll get them to pay in advance, I like to give the parent the choice of how they pay. Hx

kel1983
06-12-2010, 02:15 PM
I have only 2 parents to worry about and they are only small amounts. One pys me weekly and the other pays fortnightly.
They both pay me by cash cause this is easier for them and I am in town atleast once a week so can easily pay it into my account.

Im not sure I would want a huge amount (£400) in cash though. I think I would prefer that paid straight into my acount by the parent.

I also feel that if I have the cash paid to me I know I have received it.

snufflepuff
06-12-2010, 02:52 PM
One pays me cash (although LO is leaving me this week), one bank transfer each month, and the other used to pay by bank transfer but now pays by vouchers and tops up with cash. I'm not keen on cash payments when it's huge amounts but smaller amounts are fine- I tend to store them in a little locked money box thing and it's like savings for me- if it goes in the bank it gets swallowed up by bills and grocery shopping but when I have the cash saved in the house I can then use it for something nice like a cheeky takeaway. I used to have one who paid weekly but she just couldn't get it right, we ended up in a right mess so I insisted on monthly bank transfer in arrears from last months payment.

mrs lilly
06-12-2010, 04:21 PM
I dint accept cash or cheques, only BACS and electronic vouchers. I am upfront about thus when they come to visit and so far it's never been a problem. Money in advance by last working day if month, I have 1 parent that I have to remind but because it's done via Internet I get it same day even if I am reminding them at 4.30 pm!!

caz3007
06-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Most of mine pay via vouchers so straight into the bank. One used to pay me by cheque each week, but kept having to ask, and felt a right nag :panic: I suggested they set up a standing order and its been fine since. They have flexible hours but with a minimum so the SO is for the minimum and any extra they pay by cash or cheque. A couple of others pay me cash, but its not a lot, and I find it helps as have some for a monthly take away or to do some shopping in my local shops

Bear23
06-12-2010, 07:56 PM
This is a MASSIVE problem for me right now

I get paid virtually every day of the week, bits and bobs, cash and bank ]

Trying to sort it out at the moment but don't know how to :huh:

samb
06-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I wrote a "payment plan" form so when parents sign contracts it is part of my paperwork. I give them the choice but try to steer to bank transfer. I have 3 parents - 1 pays per session (only have her 1 afternoon a week) by cash and the other 2 pay monthly in advance by 1st of month. Has worked well so far but then I have only had those 2 for 2 months! I am not sure how I would go about changing things if I needed to. Maybe you could send out a questionnaire asking if people are happy with their methods of payments etc and then after say that you have taken what people have said into consideration and would like to arrange a "payment plan"?

venus89
06-12-2010, 08:38 PM
late generally at the moment....:panic:

All mine give me cash. One monthly - she's been here a month and actually paid in two instalments. I'm another one of those who now has £300 hidden until I can get to the bank. The others are weekly. (In theory ;)

nokidshere
06-12-2010, 09:56 PM
All my payments now go into the bank - either vouchers or transfers. Unless I am off sick (which I have been 3 days in the past 10 years) the payment is always the same so its no problem once its set up.

I do an annual childcare cost equally divided by 12 - no-one quibbles at it and they are always told when they get the starter pack.