PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed ASAP Please!!!

Newbie1!
05-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Hia guys, please please can someone help me!!

Ive had a phone call this evening from a lady who wants to come and see me tomorrow but it was an enquiry that I havent come across before and not really sure how to deal with it!?!

She wants term time only, one day per week. The day and times she wants suits me perfectly but I dont know how this works in terms of contracts, fees etc etc. Do I charge a retainer for the other times - is the fee higher to cover the holidays - aarrrgggghhh!!

Please let me know any advice you can as soon as poss please so Im well prepared for when she comes!xxx Thanks guys Luv u. xxx :panic: :panic: :panic:

mamasheshe
05-12-2010, 08:25 PM
i charge half in school hols for term time only care but don't mind being quieter as have dd at home and usually end up taking that day as holiday and not charging them anything, if they used place it'd be normal rate could probably charge full rate but this works for me also get quite a lot of business from this family as look after all three kids (the older ones after school) so it all evens out.

Gizmo
05-12-2010, 08:26 PM
I have 4 kids that are term time only and I only charge for what they use and only because this suits me I dont really want school kids in the school holidays, but I do know lots of cm that charge half fees to hold the place during holidays

Hope this helps a bit :)

Allie
05-12-2010, 08:27 PM
If one day a week suits you that's fine, I would either charge a higher rate for term time or charge half rate in holidays other wise you may end up out of pocket. Unless you think you may find someone to fill the holidays or you don't mind having less work then

Allie

gigglinggoblin
05-12-2010, 08:34 PM
I dont work school holidays so I dont charge. Which means I am more likely to attract teachers & parents who dont want holiday care. And hopefully will be full when I want to be! (I am). There are no rules about what you charge. If you dont want to work hols then dont charge but make sure they know the place isnt available if they then decide they want it (although I will do the odd day but again, there are no rules). If you charge half then you cant really say no if they give you notice they want the space which you might not want to do. Just make sure you know when their hols are so you dont get crossed wires, not all schools are the same

carol cameron
05-12-2010, 08:34 PM
I have had term time contracts only for years.I don't charge for the holidays but the fee remains the same each week whether or not the child attends so if they are off it's still FULL fee.
I have recently made an exception to this as I have taken on a baby for term time only and as this uses my one baby place I will be charging half fee for the holiday period. hth:)

venus89
05-12-2010, 08:35 PM
I've had a few that are term time only and have only charged during term time. Remember that if you charge a retainer for the holidays in theory they can use that day in the holidays. I have one term time only child who quite often comes for a few weeks in the summer but because I don't charge a retainer I'm never obligated, even morally, to give them the days.....

glitzygal
05-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I dont have term time contracts at the moment, but when i did i used to charge a bit more, to cover holidays,

one lady came to me and she was going to add all the school weeks up and divide that weekly rate by 52 and this gave me a weekly amount all threw the hoildays like a retainer for me to cover the holidays,

I didnt get her but i was happy to do this and it keeps her space open,

as long as you are happy with the arrangement then thats all that matters,

1 day dosent seem much, but in my experience its those ones that end up more hours and days in the end.

good luck,x

Stormy
05-12-2010, 09:55 PM
I have school aged siblings one day a week, they pay for term time only and if they need the holidays (and if I want to do it and have the space) they pay me a daily rate for the time used

BlondeMoment
05-12-2010, 10:37 PM
I charge half fee to hold the child's place whenever they don't need it, and no fee if I choose to take a holiday.
It's really hard to know what to do when you first start isn't it.

this website is very helpful! :)

Goatgirl
05-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Hi :),
Its really up to you. What do you need to earn from the space? If you're happy to just charge for term time, then I'd do that and enjoy being quieter in the holidays.

But if you need the income from a year round contract, just work out what it would be for a year, then divide by the number of weeks you will actually be working and work out a 'term time only rate' from that.

Just a couple of options. I'm sure there are a million different ways people would charge for this :) Just make sure you have a good think about all the scenarios you can think of and cover them all in your agreement and get it down clearly in the contract :thumbsup:

hope it works out :thumbsup: