PDA

View Full Version : Christmas tree risk assessment

SMullin
03-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi could someone please give me some ideas for xmas tree risk assessment?

Our tree is out of reach for my 9 month mindee and i have a 2.5yr old and a 4 yr old. Obviously all leads etc tucked away......then i draw a blank:o

sarah707
03-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Eating baubles... chewing on lights... knocking tree over... choking on needles... slipping on needles... crashing into tree with bikes... climbing to top to get the angel... pulling on branches... glitter / loose bits on decorations especially hand made ones...

Just sit and look at it and risk assess each bit! :D

theplayroom
03-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Risk assess christmas!!! - what a joke! :panic:

(just starting mine now :blush: )

SamBaker
03-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Really?? I'm just doing my risk assessments, you mean i have another to do :laughing: Can I get Santa to sign my guest book when he comes in:laughing: :laughing:

Mrs Book
03-12-2010, 06:49 PM
OMG hadn't thought I was going to have to risk assess my christmas decs :eek:

wendywu
03-12-2010, 06:52 PM
:laughing: I must be a really bad minder because in all the 14 years i have been working i have never done a written RA for my christmas tree.

And to be honest dont think i will start now :panic:

Daftbat
03-12-2010, 07:06 PM
:laughing: I must be a really bad minder because in all the 14 years i have been working i have never done a written RA for my christmas tree.

I agree - can't we just apply common sense?

I am all for risk assessing but you don't have to write everything down all the time. You would spend all your time doing them. For instance this week because of the bad weather I have had several pairs of boots and wellies lined up against the radiator in the kitchen to dry off, there has been melting snow which has fallen off the boots which I have kept an eye on and mopped as necessary. I have certainly not got a risk assessment for "incase" this happens - you have to risk assess in your head as you go along.

I use a playpen around the christmas tree when I feel its needed and remove it when not. Its not written down - its just peace of mind to stop those mindees who are ALWAYS in to everything making me frazzled!

ZoeAlli
03-12-2010, 07:06 PM

Well said! I haven't got time to do written RA's for every last little thing children come into contact with. This does not mean I don't have any written RA's or don't RA anything new, I just don't write every last one down!:blush: We all RA naturally as childminders, alot of the time it is just common sense!:)
Christmas trees have not been an issue before as it is normally out of minding area, however this year, there will hopefully be one in minding area!

If you are writing a Christmas tree RA, have you considered allergic reactions?

candy cat
03-12-2010, 07:10 PM
heard it all now :laughing:

a3human
03-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Hardly get time to put the tree up... nevermind a RA on it!

Playmate
03-12-2010, 07:53 PM

Gosh lots of bad minders on here then:laughing: I'm not expecting Ofsted over the festive season so, it will be in my head only :D if we keep writting it all down we won't be having Christmas trees in a few years because there won't be any left :D

manjay
03-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Bad minder here too:D

juejue
03-12-2010, 08:07 PM

I must be one to Wendy, coz I am the same as you. never done one and not doing one. we could go on and on with these RA.

rickysmiths
03-12-2010, 08:44 PM
I agree - can't we just apply common sense?

I am all for risk assessing but you don't have to write everything down all the time. You would spend all your time doing them. For instance this week because of the bad weather I have had several pairs of boots and wellies lined up against the radiator in the kitchen to dry off, there has been melting snow which has fallen off the boots which I have kept an eye on and mopped as necessary. I have certainly not got a risk assessment for "incase" this happens - you have to risk assess in your head as you go along.

I use a playpen around the christmas tree when I feel its needed and remove it when not. Its not written down - its just peace of mind to stop those mindees who are ALWAYS in to everything making me frazzled!

What a great idea, never thought of that.

Mind you the first Christmas tree to go up is for the children and it hangs on the wall out of the way! I also must admit have never done a written risk assessment for the tree. I have done it though by hanging it on the wall and only using wooden decorations on it so no glass ones can fall and break,but its in my head.

Twinkles
03-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I am going to write a risk assessment for this HUGE pile of risk assessments I have.
Surely they must be dangerous ?

Paper cuts
Risk of injury if said pile topples over and lands on someone
Lack of oxygen due to all the trees being cut down for the paper
Childminder having nervous breakdown in corner due to all the paperwork

Kimmy050983
03-12-2010, 09:07 PM
I am going to write a risk assessment for this HUGE pile of risk assessments I have.

Paper cuts

:jump for joy: :jump for joy: :clapping: :laughing: :laughing:

SMullin
03-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Thank you Sarah for your help...............every one else im expecting my first inspection soon so just covering my back!

wendywu
03-12-2010, 09:22 PM
[
QUOTE=SWard;827075]Thank you Sarah for your help...............every one else im expecting my first inspection soon so just covering my back![/QUOTE]

What in pine needles :laughing: ho ho ho :thumbsup:

sweets
03-12-2010, 09:37 PM
i am BIG hater of RA, cannot see the point of them at all, i havnt actually looked at or reviewd mine for about 18months, i will do it just before my next insp :laughing:

BUT i can see why you think we might need one, if we have to have daft RA for going a different way to school because of a pot hole, or going to the shops or playing with playdough. then i suppose having something in the corner of the room that may potentially hurt a child if they decided to climb it may be useful.

not that i have any intention of writing one! lol

glitzygal
03-12-2010, 10:20 PM
OH DEAR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

u are all very naughty, wat would mrs O say,,,,,,tut tut tut

i have done mine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

JOKING,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:clapping:

lol i am naughty to, what can we all put????

Chatterbox Childcare
03-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Semi naughty here - done the risk assss but in my head and not on paper

SamBaker
04-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Thank you Sarah for your help...............every one else im expecting my first inspection soon so just covering my back!

I'm expecting my first inspection too, I can totally understand where your coming from, you just want to cover everything so they can't pick holes in it, I've heard so many stories on here of the stupid things that inspectors pick holes in. I don't think it can hurt to do one even if you only do it this year and if it's on your computer then all you have to do is just print it off again next year if you want. :thumbsup:

Good luck with your inspection hun!!!

christine e
04-12-2010, 08:10 AM

No not a bad minder because in all the 14 years I'm sure you have risk assessed you just haven't written it down! As Childminders we are contstantly risk assessing as we go about our daily routines and activities allowing for common sense seems to have gone out of the window!
:thumbsup: Christine

sarah707
04-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Joking aside guys yes I agree totally it's a world gone potty but the Eyfs is clear that we have a requirement to write RAs.

Don't you find that the more you do the quicker you can do them and once they are done it's just a matter of tweaking them next year? :D

theplayroom
04-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Really?? I'm just doing my risk assessments, you mean i have another to do :laughing: Can I get Santa to sign my guest book when he comes in:laughing: :laughing:

LOL nice one! :laughing:

IndigoMoon
04-12-2010, 01:33 PM
I have a babydan playpen/room divider around mine too. It doesn't stop them touching as they can reach through the bars but will stop the tree toppling over onto them.

WRT real Christmas trees and those of you who are writing RAs for Christmas, I get covered in a red very itchy rash if I come into contact with pine needles so presumably kiddies can do too, may that be something to mention?

Carol M
04-12-2010, 02:19 PM
I get out of this. Don't put mine up till 17th Dec when I break up for xmas too:clapping:
carol xx

Daisy1956
04-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I thought hubby was being Scrouge not putting tree up until 17th but now I think I agree with him.

curlycathy
04-12-2010, 09:06 PM
My Christmas tree risk assessment:

Do not put up until 23rd when no more mindees in house.

Take down 3rd January before they come back on the 5th.

Sorted!

(I have an 18month old who pulls things down like you have never seen!!!!)

venus89
04-12-2010, 10:19 PM
My Christmas tree risk assessment:

Do not put up until 23rd when no more mindees in house.

Take down 3rd January before they come back on the 5th.

Sorted!

(I have an 18month old who pulls things down like you have never seen!!!!)

Yes, I think I may have to put ours up after a particular mindee leaves for Christmas.....

Penny1959
05-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Well have read all the posts and can understand the anxiety of newbies and those expecting their inspection.

BUT in my opinion - although EYFS does say we have to have written risk assessments - it does not say we have to have one for every little thing.

So I am either a very, very bad childminder or I am a sensible one who has written risk assessments - but GENERAL ones that cover main areas - for example INDOOR ENVIRONMENT - this is where Christmas Tree would come under - but is not specifically mention.

All my risk assessment are of a checklist question type, so
'Checklist for house'
Overarching statement ' Every day before taking any children into my care, this checklist will be used to ensure the safety of the children. Any issues identified will be recorded in the Childminder Evidence Diary along with any action taken'.

And the two parts that I use when the christmas tree is up
'A walk through of the house is carried out to ensure no hazards are present'
'All safety equipment needed to be in place for the children attending that day will be checked and fitted'.

So if have to put baby dan type thing up would do so and put in diary - but only on days that needed to. If wire from lights hanging in reach of the crawler - I would make it safe - and record that I had done so.

Part of all paperwork is the confidence that it works for you and your setting - and being able to explain / give examples. AND having a system of evaluation so that if changes are needed they are made.

And what did Mrs O think?

She said 'comprehensive risk assessments are in place for home and garden, and these are continually updated as needed to meet the needs of individual children'

Of course my ideas may not work for you and your Mrs O may not like what I do - but I will not be changing mine just for inspection purposes - they work for me and the children are safe at all times.

If anyone would like to see my 'comprehensive' risk assessments (all 6 of them - plus an annual check) please PM me your email address and I will send copies to you.

Penny :)

christine e
05-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Well have read all the posts and can understand the anxiety of newbies and those expecting their inspection.

BUT in my opinion - although EYFS does say we have to have written risk assessments - it does not say we have to have one for every little thing.

So I am either a very, very bad childminder or I am a sensible one who has written risk assessments - but GENERAL ones that cover main areas - for example INDOOR ENVIRONMENT - this is where Christmas Tree would come under - but is not specifically mention.

'Checklist for house'
Overarching statement ' Every day before taking any children into my care, this checklist will be used to ensure the safety of the children. Any issues identified will be recorded in the Childminder Evidence Diary along with any action taken'.

'All safety equipment needed to be in place for the children attending that day will be checked and fitted'.

So if have to put baby dan type thing up would do so and put in diary - but only on days that needed to. If wire from lights hanging in reach of the crawler - I would make it safe - and record that I had done so.

Part of all paperwork is the confidence that it works for you and your setting - and being able to explain / give examples. AND having a system of evaluation so that if changes are needed they are made.

She said 'comprehensive risk assessments are in place for home and garden, and these are continually updated as needed to meet the needs of individual children'

Of course my ideas may not work for you and your Mrs O may not like what I do - but I will not be changing mine just for inspection purposes - they work for me and the children are safe at all times.

If anyone would like to see my 'comprehensive' risk assessments (all 6 of them - plus an annual check) please PM me your email address and I will send copies to you.

Sounds very sensible to me

Have sent you a pm

Cx

Playmate
05-12-2010, 09:58 AM

'Checklist for house'

Extremely sensible and your system sounds very similar to ours. We also got a similar comment on our inspection report and got overal Outstanding grading.

One thing that people might not think about is allergies to real trees. I'm not allergic to anything else, but I am allergic to real christmas trees :rolleyes:
If I touch the pines I get hives all up my arms. Just thought I would share so you can be aware :D

Penny1959
05-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Extremely sensible and your system sounds very similar to ours. We also got a similar comment on our inspection report and got overal Outstanding grading.

One thing that people might not think about is allergies to real trees. I'm not allergic to anything else, but I am allergic to real christmas trees :rolleyes:
If I touch the pines I get hives all up my arms. Just thought I would share so you can be aware :D

Thank you for information - although not specifically aware of reactions to real christmas trees - did have general awareness as one DD reacts to Ivy.

Pleased to know others thing I am sensible and have similar RA's

Allie
05-12-2010, 08:23 PM
I have a RA for christmas tree and christmas decorations, but Mrs O usually calls on me at christmas time

Allie

ORKSIE
05-12-2010, 10:26 PM
MY RA for crimbo tree :-

Lo goes to touch tree....."No, you can look but do not touch"

Works....job done :thumbsup:

BlondeMoment
05-12-2010, 10:34 PM

Paper cuts

This just cracked me up!!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Jacko81
06-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Paper cuts

ee this made me chuckle :clapping: :laughing:

cabby
06-12-2010, 09:36 AM

'Checklist for house'

just p.m'd you x

Babyboos
06-12-2010, 01:35 PM
OMG, just got my first mindee and have a 2yr old daughter, who is desperate to get her christmas tree. The mindee is 1 next week so into everything, as my daughter was at that age and i did just keep directing my daughter away from touching the tree which worked after a while.
Isnt that how children learn what is dangerous and what is not, of course also you just would not leave a 12 month old unatended anyway. I dont have the space to put things around the tree so children cant touch it, only a small flat as it is, if i start building pens around a tree we will have no room to play. lol madness. Ofsted contacted me for my first inspection but mindee had not yet started so think ill wait to call them untill after christmas. :panic:

Think ill do mental risk ass.

janey81
12-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Thought I would add to this thread!

My Inspection last week I was asked to do a risk assessment for xmas decorations etc and the bad weather conditions!!

Jane

Heaven Scent
12-12-2010, 09:13 AM
On a recent Risk Assessment course we were told that there is no harm at all in writing that we actually say "NO" to children in order to protect them from danger !!!!!!!! - in other words we can put on our risk assessments that we teach the children not to touch or do things as a method of control. I certainly was kept safe using this method.

sarah707
12-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Thought I would add to this thread!

My Inspection last week I was asked to do a risk assessment for xmas decorations etc and the bad weather conditions!!

Jane

Thank you for sharing feedback from your inspection Jane.

I am sure a lot of people might find it useful :D

sonia ann
12-12-2010, 10:27 AM
MY RA for crimbo tree :-

Lo goes to touch tree....."No, you can look but do not touch"

Works....job done :thumbsup:

woman after my own heart here :D

but seriously I have got one written down, it took less than 5 minutes and just put down on paper what was in my head anyway and what i have done for the last 26yrs with my own children.
Yes I agree it is common sense but once it is done thats that.

Chimps Childminding
12-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Mine is also in my head. Large tree with decorations on is in lounge which is only used by older children, so they are old enough to know not to touch. There is a fibre optic tree in the dining room (used as playroom for littlies) which is on top of my storage unit so out of reach of children. Not going to write it down unless I am asked to though :D

sweets
12-12-2010, 07:17 PM
i have said in an earlier post on here that i refuse to do a written RA for this but just wondering ...............

am i the only minder that allows the mindees TO touch the tree? :laughing:

my 2.3 year old mindee helped me decorate it last week and really enjoyed it, i tell them that they can touch trees but GENTLY! lol, if they get rough they are moved away. i think they have to learn to be careful with things.
obviously i wouldnt let a crawling baby pull them up on it (will block it with my coffee table) but any child that is old enough to know what gently means is welcome to touch my tree and feel the decorations.

Ali56
12-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I also have never RA'd the tree in 16 yrs of minding! Its just common sense however this year I may need to RA the kitten who is spending most of the day up it chewing it to bits!!! :laughing: :laughing: so we have no lights/cables or things that will break, had to take them all off-
Anyway it'll entertain the kids tomorrow!:clapping:
(its fake so no needles to drop either-on a more serious not tho, if you do have a real tree watch for skin reactions in the LO's, I am badly allergic to the chemicals they use to stop the needles dropping, skin breaks open, bleeds, itches,the full works-Its nasty:panic: )