PDA

View Full Version : Taking mindee to Heathrow

Zoomie
02-12-2010, 06:04 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: My mum is surprising us with a visit from Australia. She arrives Monday before Xmas :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Two mindees finish at 1pm but 3rd mindee stays till 1730 (including dinner).

Mum arrives at 3-ish.

Before I ask my mindee's mum, do you think it is appropriate to take mindee with me on 1h10m journey (assuming no issues) each way to collect her.

PixiePetal
02-12-2010, 06:07 PM
I would go and make an afternoon of it with permissions etc

I used to take kids by train to watch the planes at Gatwick :thumbsup:

juejue
02-12-2010, 06:14 PM
We use to go the airport in the summer to watch the planes. The mindees loved it. Thats the best thing about being a childminder . It a home from home job.
As long as you have done other things throughout the day with them. I really dont see a problem .

rickysmiths
02-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I think I would want to go and meet my Mum without mindees in tow if she were coming from so far and so I hadn't seen her for a long time. Personally I would be taking the afternoon off and possibly the next day as well.

SammyM
02-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Go for it, I went as a helper on my sons school trip to the airport last week (he's 6) and loved it, went in the spectator area, all the kids had their lunchboxes weighed at the check in desks, stopped an airport policeman and quizzed him on what he had in all his pockets (LOL!!)

Will be a lovely day for you all xx

Mollymop
02-12-2010, 08:29 PM
AS long as Mum is ok and gives you permission then I can't see it being a problem. Though it is not something I would do on a working day x

Noomie
02-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Go for it! Read an aeroplane / airport book or two in the morning, get some little aeroplane toys and make a box into a hangar and it's a really good day for your mindee.

My mum arrived from Aus last Saturday. If it was a different day I wouldn't have taken mindees, my husband would have collected her. This is only because I have school runs at 9, 12 and 3 (ish) so doesn't leave me enough time in between to get to the airport and back. If things were different though, I would have. Just check with the parent, I'm sure they would be fine with it.

It's nice to have mum around!

littletreasures
02-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Go for it!

I'm taking my 1 year old mindee to Heathrow on 16th o collect my daughter who's coming back from the Bahamas.

Mum was perfectly happy for ke to take her when I asked as she is a teacher and no way would she be able to take the morning off as the plane is due to land at 11 am.

Sam is looking forward to seeing F and I haven't told Sam she is walking now so it's gong to be a lovely surprise for her.

jane5
02-12-2010, 09:07 PM
yes, lo will love it :thumbsup:

Zoomie
02-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Only just found out today that she is coming. A complete, but lovely, surprise.

It will be school holidays, otherwise I would too have the issue of numerous school runs.

Will see if mum can finish early. I know she could be finished by 3:30, but flight would have already arrived, and I would still have 1-1.5h of travel to do.

See what she says tomorrow.

Its probably the last time I am likely to see my mum, in this country, at least :)

Zoomie
02-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Go for it!

I'm taking my 1 year old mindee to Heathrow on 16th o collect my daughter who's coming back from the Bahamas.

Mum was perfectly happy for ke to take her when I asked as she is a teacher and no way would she be able to take the morning off as the plane is due to land at 11 am.

Sam is looking forward to seeing F and I haven't told Sam she is walking now so it's gong to be a lovely surprise for her.

My DD is also a Sam :D

littletreasures
02-12-2010, 10:10 PM
My DD is also a Sam :D

Definitely a Sam not a Sammy. She gets so cross if anyone calls her that.

Can't wait to see her. She's been gone for 16 weeks and might be going back in Jan for a year!!! No hole of us going out there either as the weeks she will have off between phases are during term time and I don't dare go out without Charlotte and she's in the 6th form so can't miss any school

Enjoy your time with your Mum x

Zoomie
02-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Actually my DD prefers to be called by her full name (Samantha). She is just 3 and threw a wobbly this afternoon cos mindee wrote To Sam on the picture she had made for her :blush: .

Beetlejuice
02-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Definitely take mindee if you can't get the afternoon off. I've had to take 3 mindees before to collect my inlaws from the airport - their plane should have been in early but there was fog and they got re-routed and then came down to our airport so DH had gone to work and it fell to me to be taxi service. I made a big thing of seeing the planes etc - then they all fell asleep in the car and missed it :laughing: Had they stayed awake they would have loved it!!