PDA

View Full Version : Bad Weather Fees

jacquiben
02-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Hi All,

I am a relatively new childminder (got registered at the end of Sept) and I am still finding my feet.

The questionn to everyone is are you still charging a full fee when the parents could not bring the children because of the snow?

georgie456
02-12-2010, 05:07 PM
I haven't had this problem this week as we don't have much snow but have in the past. If I am available to work then yes I charge. I have never closed during snow thankfully but have had parents unable to get to me - they have always paid no arguments (thankfully!!!!!)

the happy house
02-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I've just written a bad weather policy that states as I am open for business in bad weather full fees apply.
If I choose not to open (for whatever reason) parents are not charged.

Andrea08
02-12-2010, 06:01 PM
I've just written a bad weather policy that states as I am open for business in bad weather full fees apply.
If I choose not to open (for whatever reason) parents are not charged.

this is our policy too....

remember we had this last yr and most would charge but could do a reduction if you had all your LO's off as we dont have food expences etc..

but i would charge if open and not if had to close,,

jane5
02-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Same here, If my setting is still open and they cannot get here it is still full fees.
I would be worried that if parents wanted to get out of paying me for a few days, they would not try very hard to get to me. :rolleyes:

cas2805
02-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Everyone is turning up here despite the heavy snow! Though I still think it's wierd that I get paid for a snow ball fight :)

Not sure if I should charge one mindee who comes to me and I take her straight to school? Dad works in a school so he has stayed home and I am not out of pocket. If he is running late and takes her straight to school then he happily pays me:)

mushpea
02-12-2010, 07:24 PM
I still charge full fee, its not my fault it snows and they would still get their tax credits/wages, also its up to them if they keep them at home,, 7 of my 9 mindees are within walking distance so can get here,,, I have just done a policy for schoolies that says if they dont come they are charged normal contracted hours but if they come they will be charged from arrival to collection with a minimum of four hours charge this is because i often have parents arrive on time but collect early in bad weather and although this is their choice I would rather they came early for their saftey and my sanity!

jacquiben
02-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Well thanks to everyone who has replied. It leaves me in no doubt as to what my policy should be. Have already had to put in into practice tonight when one mum whose daughter we pick up and take home cos she does not drive called to say we were not needed as the market where she works would not open tomorrow. She was quite surprised when I explained she would still have to pay and after some tooing and froing she agreed we should have her anyway. Wonder what she will do with herself all day!!

samb
03-12-2010, 02:58 PM
I have just emailed out an "extreme weather procedure". In all my policies and procedures I have quoted the statutory framework at the bottom so that parents can see why I have written what I have in the policies. So for this one I quoted about premises being an adequate temperature (as I stated I would close if I had no heating) and also about providing suitable food (I provide food but have said in procedure I would close if I had no suitable food eg not being able to get to the shops). Otherwise I would be open for business as usual. So far we had snow and I had children on Tues, then I don't have any mindees on wed or fri and my thurs one didn't come but I will still charge as I was willing to be open. It is difficult as like someone said if you don't charge they may actually decide to not bother and then you are out of pocket for even longer.