PDA

View Full Version : Bad experience with Social Services?

terrydoo73
02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Has anyone every had any bad experience with Social Services/Ofsted?

I am a childminder in Northern Ireland and recently applied for the position of Leader in a new playgroup. Here in NI the group has to be registered with the local Social Services Board Early Years Panel. I had to go through a "Fit Person" interview when I was slaughtered for 1 1/2 hours asking me questions about various things from what I would do with children with disabilities to how to organise activities that are age appropriate etc.

I was emotionally drained after the interview and came home and cried for about 2 days. It wasn't so much the interview questions but the person I was dealing with - she is responsible for getting the Playgroup Registered etc. When I answered a question she always responded by saying "are you sure, would you not consider, I don't think you, what else can you do or say to make things ...."

After a month I received a phone call to say I had passed the Fit Interview subject to a condition that I undergo training "because you don't realise the massive leap you are making from childcare setting in the home environment to a group childcare setting." I don't dispute that for one minute and am happy to do whatever it takes but it is this particular person's attitude to me - making me feeling like I am an imbecile, totally incapable of doing anything etc etc. At one point in the phone conversation she told me "you are not listening to me". Also she told me "you will not be capable of buying resources until you go and visit other playgroups and see what they have." Then when I asked if I could visit other groups she told me I should not do this until she had another half day with me to give me proper feedback on my interview and where I was going wrong, how I should approach my work and what exactly I need to look for in other groups."

I came off the phone shaking and wanting to cry once more. If this is how she makes me feel now before I start working how will I cope when I am in the position of being Leader? I will be constantly on edge wondering if she will be doing a spot check on me, questioning everything I buy and whether I am capable of undertaking the job at all. Should I really take the offer of employment or just stay where I am?

My hubby said to proceed as wouldn't give her the satisfaction of thinking you weren't made of the right stuff! I really do need to learn how to cope with it all though, perhaps even take some self assertion course or something but nothing will prepare me for this half day she has planned because it will feel like another time to rub my nose in it.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am having real doubts about the whole thing.

JCrakers
02-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Sounds like a nightmare....really sorry you had to go through that :(

Firstly well done for passing the interview...she sounded very thorough and you passed!!
Secondly if you didnt think you could do this job you wouldnt have applied...dont start doubting yourself just because someone hasnt got any people skills. Sounds like she was talking down to you instead of on a 1-1 basis...:eek:
She seems very rude and to say 'you are not listening to me' is terrible People skills!!

Could you complain to anyone about her attitude? Is there anyone else that could help you instead? Its not a very good start if thats the sort of attitude you have to contend with. Could you tell someone how she has made you feel?

You are good enough for this job so dont let this stupid woman give you doubts!!!! GO FOR IT

Becky xx

sarah707
02-12-2010, 08:10 PM
One of the reasons I enjoy being self employed so much is that I could not work for people like that :(

I had my fill of them when I worked for others and I am much happier just me in my house in control of my own business.

However if you feel the time is right for a change then this person might not be around forever, while you have an opportunity to do something new!! :D

suzyblue
03-12-2010, 08:20 AM
My daughter had an interview for a summer camp job that did activities for children around the ages of 4-12. The boss interviewed her and was extremely insulting, putting me down as a just a childminder, her school as a rubbish school, all her experience as a waste of time, etc. My daughter was in tears but kept herself calm and composed. She got the job and I did wonder if he did this on purpose to see how in control she was, did she have a temper and could she keep calm dealing with groups of excited children.
I would keep going and the more experience you get in the job the more confident you will be to deal with this horrible person. Good luck!