PDA

View Full Version : Ive got a very bad feeling about this......

Newbie1!
02-12-2010, 08:38 AM
I may be being over worried but I currently have three mums that I mind for and I am getting the sinking feeling that I will lose them all over this snow thing. I know that they are all going to be reluctant to pay for care they havent received (due to them being off work and not coming) but Im determined to stand my ground - Ive just got an awful feeling that me demanding payment will result in them all running for the hills and finding someone else (one mum has already queried why I should be paid for sitting at home when shes looking after her own kids)......arggghhh!! Im trying to be as fair as I can - Ive offered pick ups each morning to each of parents via text and theyve all said no need - none of them have paid me this week (due in to bank on Tuesday) and I know that they will come next week as normal and try to pay me for that and as soon as I mention this week will kick off....any advice guys???? :crying: :crying: :eek: I really need the business as they are all I have but dont want to cut my nose off to spite my face if you get what I mean :-(

sillysausage
02-12-2010, 08:48 AM
I imagine very few of them will have their wages deducted for not working. I would reiterate that you have remained open, you have offered extra services in order to help families to maintain a normal routine and that at the end of the day it has been their choice to stop at home not yours.
Whilst they may choose to go elsewhere I would think it would be very hard for them to find someone who wouldn't charge in these circumstances.

marnieb
02-12-2010, 08:53 AM
I find getting paid monthly helps - you didn't know it was going to snow, and if you've already been paid then it's one of those things.

I found when I was paid weekly parents expected all sorts of things - changing days and hours if their lo was ill to accomodate them - and getting paid no extra, and quibbling over time off. But I've had none of that since I changed to monthly. In fact, I texted one mum about her payment for the month yesterday, and she responded no problem.

It's your money - text them all to remind them that fees for this week are still owed, if you feel that bad about it, then perhaps reduce it a little (but I get the feeling they would then expect that all the time!!) give them the opportunity to pay for 2 weeks on Tuesday, and if they don't, slap late fees on top.

You run a business, not a charity!!!!! :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
02-12-2010, 08:55 AM
I think you need to weight up the pro and cons here.
Personally I would stand my ground - its something I discuss from the outset - if I am open and you choose not to use your contract hours - for whatever reason - they you still pay me (the only exception I make is bereavement).
You have been more than fair by offering pick ups - lunatic - don't do that again unless you are charging a bit extra!!! lol

You could (and I am not saying you should) offer half fees instead - but this might then set a precedent for future times.
Be careful, if you do offer this - would you do it across the board for all clients or just certain awkward ones.

Remember - they are more than likely getting paid, they chose to keep their kids off - you were open, they refused your offer of collection (looney).

if they are arguing the toss about things now - do you really want to keep them on if they are going to walk - they should ahve read the contract properly and realised that yes it does apply to them. they are just probably thinking if they come at you all guns blazing then you will back down. clients think they are calling the shots all the time - no they are not - it is a partnership but this is YOUR business.

gazanne
02-12-2010, 08:55 AM
I know how you feel I am in exactly the same boat. I have one mum that pays through bank transfer monthly in advance and she has told me she agrees she should pay because if they were still at nursery she would still have to, but its the rest,well !!!!! one still owes me last weeks money (due last week) D comes all day mon/tues and her 2 sisters after school now I pick these children up but I cant get to them because of the snow same applies to 6 other children I am open but cant pick them up as agreed and parents carnt get to work so dont me to look after them anyway. Dont know where I stand. I know I should be paid but feel gulity becaues I havent provided care. I need the money but dont want to loose the parents over this because in the long run I will lose out even more. Think I am just going to have to grin and bear it and see what happens.

BlondeMoment
02-12-2010, 08:58 AM
I find getting paid monthly helps - you didn't know it was going to snow, and if you've already been paid then it's one of those things.

I found when I was paid weekly parents expected all sorts of things - changing days and hours if their lo was ill to accomodate them - and getting paid no extra, and quibbling over time off. But I've had none of that since I changed to monthly. In fact, I texted one mum about her payment for the month yesterday, and she responded no problem.

It's your money - text them all to remind them that fees for this week are still owed, if you feel that bad about it, then perhaps reduce it a little (but I get the feeling they would then expect that all the time!!) give them the opportunity to pay for 2 weeks on Tuesday, and if they don't, slap late fees on top.

You run a business, not a charity!!!!! :thumbsup:

Definately charge monthly!
And yes! You are running a business, not a charity. You're there and willing to work. It's not the parent's fault that it has snowed but neither is it yours!

gegele
02-12-2010, 09:10 AM
They will try to ask about snow day lots of parents do but just remind them that you were happy to work but they didn't bring their kids so it's a parent/child absence which requiere full paiement as stipulated in the contract.

i wouldn't offer service to parents who don't think my services are worth paying!!!

i think you're worrying a bit too far ahead, see what happen next week. no need to worry about things that may never even happen. but i would remind them that paiement hasn't been made for this week.:thumbsup:

Mouse
02-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Tell the parents they are paying for the space, not your hours worked. You were open & available to work, so the space still needs to be paid for.

Chances are that they will still be paid by work and if they claim childcare costs through tax credits they will still be getting those.

I'd stop offering to collect the children - once you start doing that, they'll come to expect it at every opportunity.

If you haven't been paid for this week you need to contact the parents NOW (preferably by phone, but if you're not comfortable about that then email or text) and explain that as you are open they still need to be paying you & you would appreciate the bank transfer being made asap. If they query it, refer them to the contract where it says full fee is due if the children don't come.

Chatterbox Childcare
02-12-2010, 09:53 AM
I charge monthly in advance. If the parents have signed for the time and you were happy to even go and collect with no extra charge then I cannot see why they would expect not to pay

singingcactus
02-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I think I am one of the very few left who charges for hours used. There aren't that many jobs that pay whether you work or not, so if parents don't work they tend not to get paid either. Most of the nurseries where the snow is are closed too so parents will be getting a rebate for those days and the staff will not be getting paid because they will not be at work.
I do understand the ideas behind charging for the space not the child though, and whenever I have used childcare for my kids I always pay even when I don't use the space. It is a tough one. If you rely on the income then you don't want to lose a week of it, but if insisting on this one week in full means losing your permanent income you'd need to consider whether standing your ground is worth the total loss or not.
I'd be tempted to offer half fee for the snow days - but it is your choice as you make the rules. Just remember the consequences will be permanent if they pull their kids.

youarewhatyoueat
02-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Put a letter out saying from January all payment will be in advance, it saves all this hassle honestly!!

Alibali
02-12-2010, 10:13 AM
I personally would stand firm and charge full fee, they should all know from contraxct signing.

However, if you really feel bad you could say, OK if I wasn't clear them lets meet halfway this time and charge half, but be insistent and say this is for one time only, in the future it's full fee if i'm open as i'm happy to work.

Mouse
02-12-2010, 10:18 AM
I think I am one of the very few left who charges for hours used. There aren't that many jobs that pay whether you work or not, so if parents don't work they tend not to get paid either. Most of the nurseries where the snow is are closed too so parents will be getting a rebate for those days and the staff will not be getting paid because they will not be at work.
I do understand the ideas behind charging for the space not the child though, and whenever I have used childcare for my kids I always pay even when I don't use the space. It is a tough one. If you rely on the income then you don't want to lose a week of it, but if insisting on this one week in full means losing your permanent income you'd need to consider whether standing your ground is worth the total loss or not.
I'd be tempted to offer half fee for the snow days - but it is your choice as you make the rules. Just remember the consequences will be permanent if they pull their kids.

It's different if nurseries refund the money if they're not open as the service is not available. If they were open & the parents decided not to send their child because of the snow, they would still have to pay. It's the same for the OP. She is available to work, but the parents are chosing not to use her. She shouldn't lose out financially when she is willing to work.

marnieb
02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
I've never heard of a nursery re-imbursing money!!!!

When I sent my ds to one, I had to pay full fees for the up-coming month, and if 1 of his days fell on a Bank Holiday (which it always did as Monday was one of his days), I paid the fee, even though the Nursery was closed!!!!!!

Which is why I personally don't charge for them as I don't work them.

georgie456
02-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Stand your ground!!!! As others have said, just explain they pay for a space and you were open and available for work and the space needs to be paid for.
And if they choose to go somewhere else, they will quickly learn that everyone else does the same as you!

Newbie1!
02-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Thank you all guys - everyone has made really good points and I know you are all right in different ways, and its really interesting to see what others do, so heres what Ive done.....

Ive drawn up an invoice for each parent quoting this weeks dates and saying payment is now due. Ive also attached a second page to the invoice with a full breakdown of what their fees would be on a calendar monthly basis and included my bank details - I am going to post these today and for the two I have an email address for I am going to email them too.

I have also drafted a letter (which I was doing anyway) this includes a new "severe weather" policy as well as details of my Christmas party and opening hours and also advising parents that from 1st January 2011 I am asking for payment monthly at the beginning of the month. I have also included details of tax credits office and their phone number and advised that if they have any problems with changing from weekly to monthly to contact them and see if they can assist (not sure if they can or not but Im hoping that it will soften the blow if it looks like Im helping!!)

Do you think this will be ok? I dont want to alienate them and lose them altogether but I also understand the point that if they are prepared to lose me over something so silly (when they will still be getting their tax credits anyway!) that maybe I should cut my losses and let them go - The type of parents Ive got, if I give in now I will have to do it each and every time!

I really need some new enquiries!!!:panic: :panic:

Thank you again guys, your feedback is, as always, very much appreciated xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
02-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't advise by letter on top of the invoice about changing to monthly if you think you are going to have probs

I would send the invoice out and invite parents in individually in the new year for a contract review and discuss payments dates face to face.

jane5
02-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Thank you all guys - everyone has made really good points and I know you are all right in different ways, and its really interesting to see what others do, so heres what Ive done.....

Ive drawn up an invoice for each parent quoting this weeks dates and saying payment is now due. Ive also attached a second page to the invoice with a full breakdown of what their fees would be on a calendar monthly basis and included my bank details - I am going to post these today and for the two I have an email address for I am going to email them too.

I have also drafted a letter (which I was doing anyway) this includes a new "severe weather" policy as well as details of my Christmas party and opening hours and also advising parents that from 1st January 2011 I am asking for payment monthly at the beginning of the month. I have also included details of tax credits office and their phone number and advised that if they have any problems with changing from weekly to monthly to contact them and see if they can assist (not sure if they can or not but Im hoping that it will soften the blow if it looks like Im helping!!)

Do you think this will be ok? I dont want to alienate them and lose them altogether but I also understand the point that if they are prepared to lose me over something so silly (when they will still be getting their tax credits anyway!) that maybe I should cut my losses and let them go - The type of parents Ive got, if I give in now I will have to do it each and every time!

I really need some new enquiries!!!:panic: :panic:

Thank you again guys, your feedback is, as always, very much appreciated xxx

I think that you are doing the right thing and charging full fee is what most cm's do. They are probably pushing the issue because they think you will back down and say no charge. I wouldn't have thought they will give you notice because of this because they are unlikely to find another cm who will agree to this.

I think monthly in advance is the best option but maybe allow this to happen on 1st feb because they will probably get their 1st wage after christmas, in the middle or end of jan.

good luck :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
02-12-2010, 12:48 PM
True, you need to give them more notice about monthly payments.

Newbie1!
02-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Thank you all for your comments - your all awesome :) :) xx