PDA

View Full Version : Bored 5yrold

mushpea
02-12-2010, 07:18 AM
I look after a 5yrold who gets bored very easily,, shes here after school for 2hours all week,, i have provided various activities but she does them really quickly and then goes off to play again,, shes ok if its my busy night and i have all for after schoolies as she plays with them but when its just her, the littlies and a 7yrold boy (who happily plays with everyone) she seems to get bored,, she dosent say she''s bored but just wonders around with a long face not knowing what to do,, i try playing bored games or reading books which works for a bit or asking her what shed like to do then we do that if possible but still dosent seem enough,,,, i had 3 other girls that were like this when they started and i went all out to provide actities every night but the more i did the more they wanted so i dont want to start that again as it wore me out with looking after the littlies too.
should i just let her get on with it after we have done an activity? o would this be ok or am i suppose to be her constant playmate?

The Juggler
02-12-2010, 07:43 AM
how about ask her what she likes. what about some hama beads, junk modelling or craft kits. Or could she help you cook or do some baking so you can have some 'girl' time with her whilst you are in the kitchen.

sarah707
02-12-2010, 07:48 AM
My 5 year olds like reading books quietly on the sofa, playing with the little ones, doing pictures, using the computer, watching a bit of TV etc.

I listen to them reading and help with homework but I certainly don't dedicate myself to them all the time!

I think you need to chat with parents and find out what she does at home :D

mushpea
02-12-2010, 08:06 AM
tried chating with parents and got told she likes most things,,, have done cooking painting hama beads, playdough, puzzles tv wii alsorts maybe i am trying to hard!

gegele
02-12-2010, 08:22 AM
i was going to say maybe you're trying too hard. she doesn't have to be engaged in something constantly, it's ok to just wander around, deciding what to play with, or just having a rest. i have a 5yrs old boy who's happy to play pretend, make up sories ....with my DD but when i tried to have activity he wasn't keen. they've been at school all day. may need to give brain a reak.

maybe put things like doll and baby stuff more accessible, dressing up, ...

mine LOVE having the tent out and cooking stuff.last week they even made a fire with the twig collected the week before LOL :D

adult have been trying to stimulate her all day, she probably need a rest!

chill :thumbsup:

The Juggler
02-12-2010, 08:25 AM
i was going to say maybe you're trying too hard. she doesn't have to be engaged in something constantly, it's ok to just wander around, deciding what to play with, or just having a rest. i have a 5yrs old boy who's happy to play pretend, make up sories ....with my DD but when i tried to have activity he wasn't keen. they've been at school all day. may need to give brain a reak.

maybe put things like doll and baby stuff more accessible, dressing up, ...

mine LOVE having the tent out and cooking stuff.last week they even made a fire with the twig collected the week before LOL :D

adult have been trying to stimulate her all day, she probably need a rest!

chill :thumbsup:

I agree. most of mine like to chill out with computer or tv after school. I allow 30 mins then it's drawing or playing or chatting or taking turns on the computer.

Vickster
02-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Hiya, my son is like that needs entertaining well thinks he does, don't feel like you have to entertain them all the time. Offer activities, computer, TV etc. She will be exhausted, maybe she just needs a quiet corner to chill out