PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a few questions please!!

lfishwick
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Hello everyone!

I am seriously considering leaving teaching to become a childminder - but I wanted to ask a few questions....

Firstly I have looked at the rooms that can be used as part of your m2 calculations to dictate the number of children you can have - but I noticed that kitchens cannot be and thought I saw something about areas that have any laundry equiptment.
Well I wanted to use my 2 living rooms downstairs, plus my kitchen diner & my conservatory - but my conservatory has my washing machine etc down the one side on the way into the conservatory ( and still has plenty of room for toys, tables chairs etc - but as I have my washing machine, tumble dryer in the conservatory and my table and chairs in the kitchen diner does this mean they cannot be included in the m2?

Secondly I have 4 children 3 boys 13-17 and a little girl 9 - but my 9 year old is disabled - I have tried to find out if this means she would be classed as having highercare needs so fall into the under 8 bracket ( so use one of my spaces up) or not?

Thirdly ( and finally sorry) I have real fireplaces that we do not use apart from Christmas - would I need fireguards for these even though are not used?

Thank you in advance!!:)

Penny1959
02-12-2010, 05:35 AM
Hello everyone!

I am seriously considering leaving teaching to become a childminder - but I wanted to ask a few questions....

Firstly I have looked at the rooms that can be used as part of your m2 calculations to dictate the number of children you can have - but I noticed that kitchens cannot be and thought I saw something about areas that have any laundry equiptment.
Well I wanted to use my 2 living rooms downstairs, plus my kitchen diner & my conservatory - but my conservatory has my washing machine etc down the one side on the way into the conservatory ( and still has plenty of room for toys, tables chairs etc - but as I have my washing machine, tumble dryer in the conservatory and my table and chairs in the kitchen diner does this mean they cannot be included in the m2?

Secondly I have 4 children 3 boys 13-17 and a little girl 9 - but my 9 year old is disabled - I have tried to find out if this means she would be classed as having highercare needs so fall into the under 8 bracket ( so use one of my spaces up) or not?

Thirdly ( and finally sorry) I have real fireplaces that we do not use apart from Christmas - would I need fireguards for these even though are not used?

Will try to give advice based on my experience - but please remember I am not Ofsted and so only personal thoughts.

First M2 area - yes normally areas you mentioned do not count - BUT most childminders use their kitchens and this space is taking into consideration - a lot depends on the furniture / equipment free space available and how space is used. The inspector at your pre reg will decide.

Second - own children - your daughter has space requirements - for example for any equipment or floor play space (sorry not making assumptions trying to thing of all possibilities)this may impact on numbers - due to available space - but she is 9 and so will not be counted as Early Years group. Ofsted will also consider practibility of caring for daughter and mindees BUT lots of us have own children / mindees with additional needs and still have max numbers of mindees.

Fire places - will have to demonstrate how keep children safe - so explain how protect from getting into fire place (soot), hurting themselves on hearth, any tools etc. They may also ask what you would do if heating broke down (ie would you light fire). I know lots of childminders who have all sorts of fires that they do not use - and do not have fire guards. Best wait for pre reg and see what inspector says - if a problem will be an action before registration completed.

Hope this helps - remember others may know more than me / had other experiiences andso offer different advice.

But the bottom line is Ofsted decide on conditions of registration

Penny :)

keeks
02-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Hello everyone!

Hi, Penny already covered all your questions so I haven't got much to add. Just that my whole flat is registered, and I have got my dishwasher and washing machine in the kitchen. They were never mentioned during my pre reg visit, I have risk assessed them though.

I am also a teacher, just got registered and leaving my nursery in 14 working days! I'm really looking forward to the smaller groups and the freedom of doing things my way.

Good luck with it all!

xx

lfishwick
02-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Thank you so much for your replies - I am anxiously awaiting my pack so that I can get moving with it all.

I also want to have smaller groups - more control over what I do - so I know what I am doing is directly for the children's development and progress not for any other reason...... plus I love little one's but keep getting put with the older ones!!

Thank you again!!:D