PDA

View Full Version : i really need some advice please

beccibunny
01-12-2010, 08:10 PM
i have a problem, ive been looking after a little girl for 5ish months now and she is lovey, i havnt got a problem with her or her family. she only comes 10 hours a week and since she started my numbers have changed and now i feel like ive taken too much on, never wanted to earn loads of money i just wanted a job that allowed me to be with my own children more and now i find that my time with them is stresful and im snappy with my own kids.

im not really making much sence am i?
i want to give this girl notice so i can have more time with my own children, i feel guilty becuse she was the first child i took on and since ive had he i have taken on 2 more children but with more hours, i feel guilty because i know im getting rid of her because she is the least ammount of money per week. im in a real mess with this and m making myself ill and stressed about it.
help me, what should i do, give notice or try to carry on? please give ur honnest opinions, am i being selfish?

claire'scherubs
01-12-2010, 08:27 PM
I don't think you are being selfish at all, its business so you need to follow your head and not your heart

Your family are the most important and if you think it affecting them then you have to do something about it

Sending hugs

glitzygal
01-12-2010, 11:25 PM
I don't think you are being selfish at all, its business so you need to follow your head and not your heart

Your family are the most important and if you think it affecting them then you have to do something about it

Sending hugs

SNAP..I AGREE YOU RUN YOUR BUSINESS YOUR OWN WAY, WHICH EVER IS BEST FOR YOU,,,,,,,,,,,,DONT GET ILL OVER THINGS, THEY WOULD GIVE YOU NOTICE AT A DROP OF A HAT, SO DONT FEEL GUILTY,.,.,.,.,HUGGSSSSS

Twinkles
01-12-2010, 11:35 PM
I don't think you're being selfish. One of the reasons you started your business was for quality family time.

Do you think letting this little one go would help ? Or might you be better off letting one of the longer hours mindees go ?

Penny1959
02-12-2010, 04:31 AM
I don't think you're being selfish. One of the reasons you started your business was for quality family time.

Do you think letting this little one go would help ? Or might you be better off letting one of the longer hours mindees go ?

Agree

No need to feel quilty BUT do consider carefully which one to let go - especially as you say no problems with this mindee or family.
Ask yourself
Have I had the others long enough to know if will be any problems?
Which mindee fits in best with my families needs
- hour wise?
- compatibility wise? (my children and mindee - me and parents)
- ease (such as need for buggies when going out)
- long term viability?

Once sure which mindee to let go - give appropiate notice, be as helpful as possible in helping find new childminder (do you know anyone with vacancies?)
Remain professional.

It is never easy giving notice (even when had huge problems) but to continue if situation not working for you and your family will only lead to stress, and in the long term negative feelings about childminding and resentment that you can not do what you want / need to. This is not fair or to yourself, your children or the mindees.

Good luck with whatever decision you make

Penny :)

The Juggler
02-12-2010, 07:45 AM
also I would see who you know (and like) who might have a space so that you can let the parents down gently with a 'but I know someone who would be prepared to have her straight away....':)

Chatterbox Childcare
02-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I agree that you need to look after yourself and your family but I do ask why did you take her in the first place? Surely children and their feelings are not just money?

Sorry to sound harsh and it isn't a personal attack against anyone but I do feel strongly about continuity of care

JCrakers
02-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Do whats best for you, if your getting stressed and its starting to affect your own family then I would do whatever you need to.
Like someone said previously if their circumstances changed and they decided they didnt need you anymore thay wouldnt think twice about letting you go.

I had to make a decision over a baby that wouldnt settle, it was a hard decision because I really wanted it to work but the stress on me and my family was priority. Theres no good making yourself ill from overworking.
Hope you sort it out :)
Becky xx

Rubybubbles
02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
I have recently handed in notice for a school run as the hours no longer suited me (had him until 6:30) and can't work past 5:30 from now really (but not for 2 weeks!)

It has been the best decision as already I am feeling the relief of not working past that time! Mum was very :mad: at first but now has mellowed a bit and been over the top friendly with me:) I think it was a shock more than anything, but I did explaing everything even though I really didn't have to

beccibunny
02-12-2010, 02:12 PM
I gave my notice today, the mom was devistated, she cryed. Now I'm worried that she would report me for something, she kept asking me why I was getting rid of her child and not the other little girl, what could I say?????? I don't really know, the other little girl is more money and looking after her doesn't clash with taking my son to playgroup. At the end of the day I know I've don't the right thing because I've been so I'll stressing about this, but why do I still feel guilty? I feel like ive kicked someones puppy!

The Juggler
02-12-2010, 06:53 PM
hon, this is such a hard one and why I've never given taken jobs on unless I'm sure I can commit to them or I take someone on, with the FULL understanding that I will do short hours temporarily but may give notice if a fulltime option comes along (have never had to though).

It's tough, especially when you start out as you don't know how working is going to affect you/your family life/what you can cope with. You thought you could do it, you couldn't but you and your family must come first, so you need to do what's right.

I would look on it as a lesson for the future in considering all contracts (big or small) and how they fit in with your and the family.:)