PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Elf

catlyn
01-12-2010, 06:46 PM
has anyone heard of the tradition of having a xmas elf coming to stay at your house for xmas?? We did it with my owm children and I do it with the mindees now......i bought a little toy elf off e bay and around the 1st of dec every year santa sends us a message to say our elf will be arriving soon, when the children are in bed he arrives...he brings a little pressie for each child...an advent calander,his passport and a bag of magic dust which he sprinkles on himself each night to make himself come alive...each night when the children are in bed he gets up to mischief ...he eats the chocs off the tree and leaves the wrappers....he sneaks into bed with the children ....and he plays with their toys. I take pics of him and show them to the children the next day...I make a scrapbook with the pics and the children love it. there is a thread on the website MSE all about it

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1944229&highlight=christmas+elf

Twinkles
01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
So sweet !
What a lovely idea.

Now all I need is some grandchildren to do this with :D

Beetlejuice
01-12-2010, 07:27 PM
We started this last year - it's called The Elf on the Shelf and we bought it in America. He gets put in a different place every day - the premise is that he stays there during the day and at night goes to tell Father Christmas how the children have behaved so he is in a different place the next day. Worked really well last year HOWEVER I've started this again today and made the stupid mistake of putting him on my own childrens' wardrobe and it's freaked them out so much they've refused to go to bed!!!!!:o :o Whoops. I had to make a show of going up to ask him to move (the idea is you aren't allowed to touch him!) and now he's gone to see father christmas but will be back tomorrow and I've asked him not to go in their room!!

My DH and I have been in stitches as it was a lovely tradition last year but it's bombed spectacularly today!!!:laughing: :laughing:

It is a lovely idea if you don't do what I did and freak the cr@p out of the kids!!:D

Suebb1
01-12-2010, 09:35 PM
love the idea. might have a go next year as will have to find an elf first!!!

catlyn
01-12-2010, 09:41 PM
knit your own on e bay!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHRISTMAS-IMPS-ELVES-TOYS-KNITTING-PATTERN-Alan-Dart-/180594695924?pt=UK_Crafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH&hash=item2a0c485ef4

PixiePetal
01-12-2010, 10:02 PM
I wish I had known about the elf when my two were young :)

Just told my 16yr old DD - will have to remind her if she ever becomes a mum - in the way off future :thumbsup: :D

Love it :D

georgie456
02-12-2010, 05:27 PM
This post made me smile like a loon! I love this idea - I will definitely be doing this next year :)

PixiePetal
02-12-2010, 05:54 PM
there was one on amazon for about £25 :eek: with book .

think i will find my own :rolleyes:

If anyone is of to the States maybe they could get me an 'Elf on the shelf' :D

jane5
02-12-2010, 06:12 PM
has anyone heard of the tradition of having a xmas elf coming to stay at your house for xmas?? We did it with my owm children and I do it with the mindees now......i bought a little toy elf off e bay and around the 1st of dec every year santa sends us a message to say our elf will be arriving soon, when the children are in bed he arrives...he brings a little pressie for each child...an advent calander,his passport and a bag of magic dust which he sprinkles on himself each night to make himself come alive...each night when the children are in bed he gets up to mischief ...he eats the chocs off the tree and leaves the wrappers....he sneaks into bed with the children ....and he plays with their toys. I take pics of him and show them to the children the next day...I make a scrapbook with the pics and the children love it. there is a thread on the website MSE all about it

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1944229&highlight=christmas+elf

Hurray!!! that's usually me but now I can blame it on the elf... :thumbsup:

Dragonfly
02-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Beetlejuice I know I shouldnt laugh but couldnt help it:blush: that backed fired on you didnt it? poor kids will be traumatised for life! (only joking)

Beetlejuice
02-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Beetlejuice I know I shouldnt laugh but couldnt help it:blush: that backed fired on you didnt it? poor kids will be traumatised for life! (only joking)

LOL I know. Thankfully this morning they were far more excited to see him sitting on our mantlepiece. I had a word with him last night and asked him not to go in their room so now have to be more imaginative about where he goes with one less room to use! They have been chatting away to him today bless them.

Dragonfly
02-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Is it their bedtime yet? things might be very different then.And you really must stop talking to a little Elf people will talk:)

Beetlejuice
02-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Is it their bedtime yet? things might be very different then.And you really must stop talking to a little Elf people will talk:)

LOL people think I'm bonkers anyway so seeing me talking to an Elf won't phase anyone :laughing: :D Think I'll move him to the dining room tonight so they don't misbehave with breakfast :laughing:

manjay
02-12-2010, 11:29 PM
I love this idea!!! We have a set of elf character thingymajigs for the christmas tree that move places each night so the same kind of idea I suppose. I like the idea of eating the chocs though. Will have to try that one:rolleyes:

miffy
03-12-2010, 08:30 AM
I've never heard of this before but it's a lovely idea.

Miffy xx

angeldelight
03-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Never heard of it

But what a great idea

Angel xx

georgie456
03-12-2010, 11:26 AM
We started this last year - it's called The Elf on the Shelf and we bought it in America. He gets put in a different place every day - the premise is that he stays there during the day and at night goes to tell Father Christmas how the children have behaved so he is in a different place the next day. Worked really well last year HOWEVER I've started this again today and made the stupid mistake of putting him on my own childrens' wardrobe and it's freaked them out so much they've refused to go to bed!!!!!:o :o Whoops. I had to make a show of going up to ask him to move (the idea is you aren't allowed to touch him!) and now he's gone to see father christmas but will be back tomorrow and I've asked him not to go in their room!!

My DH and I have been in stitches as it was a lovely tradition last year but it's bombed spectacularly today!!!:laughing: :laughing:

It is a lovely idea if you don't do what I did and freak the cr@p out of the kids!!:D

I just looked up Elf on the Shelf on Amazon's US site and some of the reviews made me howl with laughter. There are people on there who have terrifying childhood memories of an evil elf spy ratting on them to Santa!!!!!!! I MUCH prefer the naughty elf eating the chocolates now!!!!!

ZoeAlli
03-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I like this idea! Will have to find an elf first, then might do it with mindees ( no point with my own dc's as they know father Christmas is ......).
Could be lots of fun!!! Thank you. :)

clio0602
03-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Oooh I love this idea. We have an elf and he usually sits on the tree watching the children are behaving. Love the idea of him getting up to mischief!! He may just get caught out this yr :thumbsup:

Kirstylob
01-11-2012, 09:30 PM
I have read about this on Netmums, but they were saying he got up to funny and naughty things in teh night. I MUCH prefer the idea of him keeping an eye on the children during the day and being a bit naughty at night.
My children are too old, but I have 2 young grandchildren who we could do it with.
Last year my daughter told the minded children at lunch time that we had a camera on the wall so Father Christmas could watch them and make sure they were eating properly - it was a picture frame hook but you should have seen their faces!:laughing:
Several of my mindees like Ben and Holly so maybe I could find a little Ben elf and use him to keep an eye on them!:)
Brilliant idea!!

sharonmanc
01-11-2012, 11:13 PM
i have done this the past 2 years, even with my now 16 year old, i created facebook pages for them and added them on her account, and then posted pics of the elf putting on her makeup, chatting on her phone etc, she thought it was hilarious. My younger ones love it too

margaret
02-11-2012, 08:36 AM
There is also a dvd that has just been released on amazon for 7.49.

bunyip
02-11-2012, 09:09 AM
No Christmas Elf here.

But the family all turn up, stay the whole time and drink all my Scotch. Is that the same sort of thing? :mad:

dolly daycare
02-11-2012, 10:19 AM
What a lovely idea.

I have just ordered our very own Elf. My 5 year old DS will love it and so too will my mindees.

Can't wait for our little Elf to arrive and for the mischief to begin....... :D