PDA

View Full Version : Problems with school run in the snow....

porky1979
01-12-2010, 01:40 PM
I am sure a lot of people are having problems. I have a real problem with one of the lo's i look after. I have kept my own son off school today because of the stress I had yesterday with the school run, and then lo didn't turn up til 10am so could have got him there without the stress, being presumptious as an after schoolies mum couldn't get to work yesterday have now got to go and collect today because she has managed to get into work, so i am going to have the same stress anyway even though i kept own ds off. I am really annoyed with myself now as i should have just biten the bullet and took him. As
The lo in question 2 and half and she hates the snow, i can not push a buggy as it is not possible in the snow and can not carry her for long as she is too heavy. I am dreading going out to collect after schooly. Not sure what to do for the rest of the week now.
I know there is probably no advice but needed to get it out my system as I am getting so stressed about it all.
Thanks for reading.

venus89
01-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Do you have a friend who can bring your child to you?

I know what you mean - I was dreading trying to push a buggy up a hill with two other small children holding onto it on the icy footpaths to get my two from school. Luckily my husband's school is closed today an as the kids' school only had 3 teachers he offered to work there for the day instead so I'm assuming he'll bring my two home with him. Hope so anyway!

The Juggler
01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
i prewarned all my after school parents that IF school was open today that I would not be doing school run. I was prepared to keep my two off unless dh could take them and told other parents I wasn't doing nursery run as well.

the wheels on my buggy were not even turning yesterday I was just shovign it along by brute force:panic:

Alibali
01-12-2010, 02:00 PM
I haven't done nursery run all week as it would involve taking car out, informed all my parents of that decision and they were happy for lo's to stay in house with me, school all shut now, so not a problem anymore! I did do 2 school runs with the double pram in the snow - ouch!

lornaslilliputs
01-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Ha Ha:laughing: So did i funny now but i felt like crying at the time! Had to get an afterschooly to push the double buggy sideways as i pushed forward!! Ive cancelled school run tonight :clapping:

singingcactus
01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
I haven't had this problem this week, my numbers have worked out just right so no littlies for school runs. Am getting a bit nervous about next week though. Will have a 7 month old and a 2 year old for school run. 2 year old will be no trouble, but the buggy for 7 month old is a small wheeled type. Not sure how the mum will feel about me using a sling, but I think she will be fine. It's gonna be that or she will need to bring him after school run and pick him up before. Thank fully this is an option for us where we are.
I feel for you all where there is no other option.

Goatgirl
01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
I am sure a lot of people are having problems. I have a real problem with one of the lo's i look after. I have kept my own son off school today because of the stress I had yesterday with the school run, and then lo didn't turn up til 10am so could have got him there without the stress, being presumptious as an after schoolies mum couldn't get to work yesterday have now got to go and collect today because she has managed to get into work, so i am going to have the same stress anyway even though i kept own ds off. I am really annoyed with myself now as i should have just biten the bullet and took him. As
The lo in question 2 and half and she hates the snow, i can not push a buggy as it is not possible in the snow and can not carry her for long as she is too heavy. I am dreading going out to collect after schooly. Not sure what to do for the rest of the week now.
I know there is probably no advice but needed to get it out my system as I am getting so stressed about it all.
Thanks for reading.

Hi :),
If its bad enough for you to be keeping your son at home rather than go through it, I'd say is there a friend or neighbour who wouldn't mind taking your son to school while there's snow? Then tell the school age mindee's mum you can't do school runs in current conditions but are happy to have mindee if she can arrange for someone to drop him at yours as you are still open, just can't do school run without being able to use the buggy.

Another option, could 2 yr old's mum drop later and collect earlier temporarily?
Or could you borrow a more robust 3 wheeler from anywhere that will cut through the snow more easily?

Then I'd write into a policy about extreme weather regarding school runs that you might not be able to do them and how you will deal with this/ charge etc

Hope this afternoon's run goes better than yesterday....

best wishes,
Wendy :)

Twinkles
01-12-2010, 02:30 PM
All our after schoolers parents called to say they would collect as they hadn't gone to work or were leaving early.

Except one.... we waited till after lunch to hear from them ( Dad not working Mum a teacher but her school is closed ).

Nothing, so we phoned and said we couldn't collect because of the roads. Bearing in mind they live 10 mins walk from the school and we live in the next town !

We think they were waiting for us to cancel so they didn't have to pay. :rolleyes:

FussyElmo
01-12-2010, 02:44 PM
We are not too bad here at the minute but its still a nightmare getting to school. However I have to fetch my children so I still get the mindees. Im even getting a friends child so her elderly mum doesnt have to come out in it.

Just a thoguh could you not use a sledge to getting to school instead of the buggy - if its gets worse round here I will do this as my 2yo also hates the snow etc

tashaleee
01-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I have a policy in place that I make all parents aware of - my own kids are older so I dont have to do a school run for them and most of my mindees are under 5 so these are my priority.

All parents are told that if it snows or is dangerous Im not doing any school run - one I have at pre-school has been told that if it starts snowing I will collect child early (my choice, no charge) but if it has already snowed then either she makes other arrangements OR I will have the child instead of pre-school as not compulsory. So far we have had no snow so not a problem.

I refuse to take the car and its quite a hike to the school so Im not risking the little ones and my safety for one child... parents may not like it but Im not bothered as if I fall and break something then Im in more trouble....:blush:

Ripeberry
01-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Someone needs to invent 'Buggy skis' that can be fitted on any buggy. They'd make a fortune :D Or even stick the whole thing in a sledge, that's what my mum in the 70's used to do.
But then this was very deep snow and none of it was cleared, you would have trouble on the cleared bits :(

porky1979
01-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Well I got through it. It was not as bad as I thought it would be but have spoken to mum today and she said that she will collect tomorrow and Friday if school is open. Out of all the schools in my area this is the only one staying open, i dont understand why as apparently all they have done today is watch videos because of staff shortages????? Makes me wonder. I think I will write a policy about bad weather tonight and give to parents tomorrow. Bi late I know but at least they will know for next time. Thanks everyone, oh and I like the idea of skis for buggies, that would be great. :clapping: