PDA

View Full Version : Think I've been taken for a mug:

brightstar
01-12-2010, 10:17 AM
3 weeks ago the parents of a 9 month old signed a contract for 1/2 a days care a week. When they initially phoned they were looking for 2 full days, but by the time they came to visit they'd decided 1/2 a day was enough. Grandmother looks after her the rest of the week (full time). Anyway I took her on thinking it would extend to more hours over time. Last night the mum phoned to say her sister had offered to look after her and so they wanted to end the contract immediately, and could they have a refund on the two half days they'd already paid for. As its still in the settling in period I haven't really got much choice, but I get the feeling they only wanted my reg number. It makes my blood boil that people use us like this. May be slow in refunding their money, just to make me feel better. :angry:

marnieb
01-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Unbelievable!!! :angry:

But probably better for you in the long run, as 1/2 a day isn't much to get worried about....

If you feel really bitter, is it worth call Tax Credits to say that the childcare has stopped??

sunflower
01-12-2010, 10:29 AM
I would ring tax credits, she was claiming for half a days care?!! lets hope something comes back and stings them in the but! :angry:

I never give my ofsted number untill after settling in period, had that done to me so many times before.

lornaslilliputs
01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
wounded hon!! takes the mick!!! Im still waiting to be paid from socail services so angry:angry: :angry: Invioced them on the 21st of October and no sign?!? aaaaahhhhhhh sucks being self employed wish I had out in a late payment charge on there contract!! car is in garage and cant get it till i get paid so won't be at group thurs:( :(

moogster1a
01-12-2010, 10:40 AM
have I read it right that you've looked after her for 2 half days already? if so, they can whistle for their money back!
Even if you've not, this is what a deposit is for and again, they can whistle, settling in period or not.

Mouse
01-12-2010, 10:49 AM
How annoying. I would phone tax credits & report it. They seem quite hot on checking up on people at the moment.

wendywu
01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
3 weeks ago the parents of a 9 month old signed a contract for 1/2 a days care a week. When they initially phoned they were looking for 2 full days, but by the time they came to visit they'd decided 1/2 a day was enough. Grandmother looks after her the rest of the week (full time). Anyway I took her on thinking it would extend to more hours over time. Last night the mum phoned to say her sister had offered to look after her and so they wanted to end the contract immediately, and could they have a refund on the two half days they'd already paid for. As its still in the settling in period I haven't really got much choice, but I get the feeling they only wanted my reg number. It makes my blood boil that people use us like this. May be slow in refunding their money, just to make me feel better. :angry:

I know you can end the contract at any time with out notice in the settling in period. But are they entitled to money back for booked days not used. That seems like two different matters to me. I may be wrong but it is worth checking before you refund

georgie456
01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
I know you can end the contract at any time with out notice in the settling in period. But are they entitled to money back for booked days not used. That seems like two different matters to me. I may be wrong but it is worth checking before you refund

I agree. The way I see it, the settling period means no notice needs to be given, not you get refunded on booked days that you choose not to use.

Hebs
01-12-2010, 12:46 PM
How annoying. I would phone tax credits & report it. They seem quite hot on checking up on people at the moment.

yeah i had a call this morning to check up on one of my mums, i do have the child full time but she did say they are checking up now :thumbsup:

youarewhatyoueat
01-12-2010, 12:47 PM
They wouldn't get half a days care through tax credits as there is a minimum amount that can be claimed and that wouldn't be enough.

Hebs
01-12-2010, 01:01 PM
They wouldn't get half a days care through tax credits as there is a minimum amount that can be claimed and that wouldn't be enough.

actually they would its not the number of hours its the cost (think minimum is £10) but who knows what they've told tax credits :thumbsup:

ajs
01-12-2010, 01:03 PM

but they probably aren't claiming for a half day, once they've got your reg number they can put whatever they like on the claim form

it's so dishonest and i hope they get caught,
i had to report a mum once for the same thing, they didn't seem very interested then but hopefully they are tougher on them now

PixiePetal
01-12-2010, 01:05 PM
At least I know one of my parents is playing by the rules :thumbsup: she has phoned them to say she is changing from 3 days care to 2 during her maternity leave. It would have been so easy to 'forget' but she is a good one - some do exist :)

candy cat
01-12-2010, 01:17 PM
I am not 100% but, I don't think you have to refund any money and just say you are contacting tax credits .....bet they then won't chase you as can't believe only claiming half a day:rolleyes:

AliceK
01-12-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm just about to refund for 2 weeks of unused childcare as mum gave me notice after 2 weeks (she had paid for the month). Should I not be refunding then???
Think I need to make a phone call and check before I post out the refund

xxxx

Twinklestars
01-12-2010, 02:18 PM
one of my mums rang to tell them she'd changed providers (he started with me in aug) and she had to send 3 receipts in to prove her average costs and with my reg number etc on so they are checking more

karensmart4
01-12-2010, 08:16 PM
I would write to the tax office instead of phoning them, give parents name address etc and give child's name dob, how many hours you have provided care from x date to x date, how much you charge per hour and how much they have paid.

I think these things are better done in writing and keep a photocopy in the child's file.

Karen :)

glitzygal
01-12-2010, 11:16 PM
You dont know if they are claimimg more hours to get tax credits and give it to nan,,,,,:mad:

your number gets it for them i would ring.

i have similar situation, family came week and left saying auntie coming over to help out, 2 weeks settling in period and she dont come now,:angry: :angry:

same thing i might ring tax credits, but they did say she might come back when auntie goes home.
not sure wat to do,:(

acorns
02-12-2010, 12:08 AM
I've never come across a parent using me in this way (luckily) Do some really go to the bother of coming to a minder, doing contracts etc just for a number? They can all be found without to much searching on Ofsted's website anyway, just by seraching on the postcode.
In this situation I have put in my policy that a weeks notice must be givien in the settling in period, so if that was given I would refund the initial deposit, but i would not refund any fees paid for days they have chosen not to use, but I don't have this in my policy so will now amend as I can see it may need to be referred to in the future.