PDA

View Full Version : Closing due to snow

LisaMcNally09
01-12-2010, 08:42 AM
I could do with your opinions please.

I have told my parents this morning if it carries on snowing like it is now for the next couple of hours I will be closing for the day.

I have never seen snow like it. We had about 30cm last night and it's snowing so heavy now you can hardly see anything outside.

My parents that I have would do anything to get to work and not even think about being stuck there. When I told th my plan this morning I got a look of disgust. I said I would make the call in a couple of hours but couldn't risk anyone not being able to get to me.

Do you think I'm being fair??

The Juggler
01-12-2010, 08:50 AM
i would voice your concerns. what if they do get stuck at work overnight. do they have someone who can collect from you and have their children overnight? Tell them you are not registered/prepared for overnight care and cannot offer it.

I would just tell them that as long as they can assure you they will collect before your normal closing time they can make their choice but bear in mind it might take their emergency contacts up to 3 times longer to make even a local journey.

we are all closed up here in Surrey but central london's hardly had a flake of snow so trains are running fine so they'd all be expected in to work:(

Mouse
01-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Do you mean close so you're not doing the school run, or close for little ones?

I think it's reasonable to say you're not doing the school run, but I wouldn't say I'm closing to little ones. If parents want to try to get to me, that's up to them. I would remind them of their contracted pick up time and tell them that they should consider leaving work early to make sure they are on time. Tell them you cannot work later than your contracted time.

I suppose parents think it's up to them to decide whether or not they're going to get to you.

Daftbat
01-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Our school closed yesterday and today and I have texted everyone I was due to have to say that I am available if they can get to me. Only ended up with one yesterday and no one today since we have 3 feet of snow outside.

I am still happy to have children but parents have to be sensible and everyone has had the common sense to make oter arangements or take the day off.

jelly15
01-12-2010, 09:04 AM
I have decided this year, after getting opinions here, that I won't close due to bad weather, it is up to the parents to choose what they want to do because if I colse I can't charge but if they decide not to come / leave early I still get paid (was caught out last winter by one set of parents).

If they are late collecting my late collection fees apply and if the weathers that bad I won't be going anywhere.

LisaMcNally09
01-12-2010, 09:07 AM
The problem is it's looking like I will be snowed into the house it's falling that heavy. The parents I have get to work at any cost but don't worry about getting back.

I don't know what to do. I can honestly say I have never seen as much snow in my life. It's coming close to snowing me in the house completely.:(

wendy222
01-12-2010, 09:16 AM
hi im open but no mindes one parents was goin 2 work but realise she wouldnt get there i got up 6am and mindes would have come at 6.30 so me and my family are goin 2 have a day of watchin films which we dont do often :clapping: :clapping:

Mouse
01-12-2010, 09:24 AM
The problem is it's looking like I will be snowed into the house it's falling that heavy. The parents I have get to work at any cost but don't worry about getting back.

.:(

In that case, be really firm with them & do what you want to do. If you are worried they won't be able to get back to collect the children, tell them you won't open unless they guarantee that someone will be there to collect them on time. If they do insist on coming, tell them that you will contact them if it looks like you're going to be snowed in & you will expect someone to collect asap.
Tell them you're not prepared to work later than the contracted hours.

snufflepuff
01-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Thing is, they have us over a barrel really don't they! If there is nobody who is able to get to you and collect the children they know we would have to keep hold of them. It's not like we would never turf the LOs out in the snow all alone, and the parents know that!
(Hypothetically of course because we have only had a tiny sprinkle of snow here!)

Twinkles
01-12-2010, 09:44 AM
We're open but have only had one baby turn up. Two childminders for one ( grumpy ) baby :rolleyes:

christine e
01-12-2010, 09:59 AM
I am open but nobody has come today. I will remain open throughout the bad weather but won't do school runs if I am unhappy about going out. If parents arrive late then so be it, I will look after the children until parents arrive and I won't make any additional charges other than looking after school age children who stay with me rather than go to school. Some parents have jobs that mean they really need to get in otherwise country would be in real trouble. Personally I think we all have to work together in difficult times.

Christine

jus
01-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Im open as parent text this morning to say they were off work due to weather but could i still have mindee live 2 streets away dad carried him on his shoulders. 2 other mindees stayed at home due to parents not been able to get to work, he can't play in snow as they brought him in trainers no wellies.:(

jus

Fabby
01-12-2010, 11:44 AM
What have you decided to do? x

singingcactus
01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
I've never closed because of weather, but i have had days when parents don't bring their little ones because they can't, and their work is closed. This is the first time in years that I do not have overnight care facility, but in an emergency I would just bunk the kids down and get on I guess, if parents were stranded.

I'm glad there are people out there willing to struggle in to work, because today the tesco guy is coming to bring me some food - I have almost run out, my husband is away, and there is no way I could drive the 35 minutes to the shop and then back again in this weather with my kids in the car - after work too which would be dark. It is outside of my ability. We have no local facilities here at all, so I'm glad people go into work to keep things running :).

Hope your parents can arrange emergency pick ups in case they get stranded though - it is always a good idea to be prepared.

pinky33
01-12-2010, 12:01 PM
We only had one little one turn up today the other 4 could not get here.
Parents were at home but I called to say we would be closing from 12 as we need supplies at the shops and far to cold to drag him up there. They came early stayed for a cuppa and took his salmon lunch home happy as larry.
Right of to shops!

solly
01-12-2010, 12:19 PM
All local schools are closed here, we have 3 in the village and one of them has opened the other two are closed.
I should of had 3 today but have only got 1. The one i have got mum txt me to say she would take her daughter to school, dad would bring son to me as she could not push the buggy but could i pick her daughter up (which i do on a wednesday) as their school in the village is open. I politely told her I would not be doing the school run today as like her would not be able to push the buggy in the snow. She lives around the corner from the school i live 10 minutes walk away.

She said unless i hear from her she would pick her daughter up then pick son up at 5pm

What part of I am not doing the school run does she not understand

rickysmiths
01-12-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm sorry but this has made me smile. I have visions of your parents digging their way to your front door to get their los out. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hope things get better. I never close its up to my parents to choose to use me. I thought we had to have emergency contact numbers for all our children in case the parents couldn't get to us for some reason.

LisaMcNally09
01-12-2010, 01:16 PM
I closed at 11am. The problem I have is where I live there is only one way in and one way out so I was scared to death the road would shut.

The snow is now covering the gap under my gate so can't open that and when lo went out to car (she is 3) it was up to her knees. I have never seen anything like it and it's still not stopped.

Gonna have to try and walk to shop as I have ran out of milk and bread but I don't think my 4 yo dd can walk in it:(

Beetlejuice
01-12-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't close in the snow even though the estate I live on is never gritted and it is like an ice rink. I don't want to lose money and I can stay at home and still work - it's up to the parents if they send their children. I had nobody until my afterschoolie today and she's gone early. The baby I normally have didn't come because her mum works in one of the small local villages which is never gritted. Tomorrow I'm due to have one but I don't think they should risk sending him as they have to drive down some treacherous roads however I bet they do :rolleyes:. They both work at home so they will want the child out of the way. I've already told them we will be staying in though.