PDA

View Full Version : Fed up repeating myself lol

Happy Bunny
30-11-2010, 09:15 PM
I constantly have to repeat myself with one parent regarding her child's reading.
Four times she has asked me if I can sit with her child and listen to her read. I would love to accomodate her but with 6 other children in the house i have explained that I cannot give her child the one to one that is required to do it.
Whilst I am quite happy to assist her child's homework once a week, i feel that I cannot help her child with their reading due to having a baby in the house and one child with ADHD.
She makes me feel as though I am at fault for not doing this.
Opinions please.

fiona
30-11-2010, 09:18 PM
i had a simlar situation so i asked mum if it would be ok if her daughter (5) could read to my daughter (8) mum said she would rather i done it so i explained our after school routine and gave her the option, i feed your child or read with them..?? mum picked feeding!

sarah707
30-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I listen to children reading and do their homework with them if needed...

But then I have a resident chef! :laughing: :D

Happy Bunny
30-11-2010, 09:40 PM
I would so love to do it but i'm on my own here lol
If i could put a broom up my bottom i would

loocyloo
30-11-2010, 10:21 PM
when we get home from school, everyone sits on the sofa and reads SILENTLY to themselves for 10 minutes or so ( whilst i get myself sorted! ) i try to listen to each child read a page or so, over each couple of weeks, and i scribble a comment in their reading diaries. the LOs look at books, and get excited to tell me what its about!

IF they have homework and they want to do it/mum has asked, then that MAY get done after tea!

i always tell the parents that whilst i try to hear reading and oversee homework, it isn't always possible! ( and in the summer, we're always out and reading and homework gets forgotten :blush: )

i did have one mum ask if her son could do his piano practice here :eek: i said there wasn't really time, but i was happy for him to have a play whenever he wanted to ( and it was a suitable time! )

The Juggler
01-12-2010, 08:57 AM
i always said the same. happy for older children to sit and do maths/literacy and for me to help out but it's just too noisy here for reading after school so, no. don't feel bad

Daftbat
01-12-2010, 09:01 AM
None of my parents have ever asked me to do this. Surely the child would much rather have that special time reading with a parent and surely the parent would enjoy it too. Or am I neing naive:rolleyes:

lorimac
01-12-2010, 02:04 PM
as far as i'm concerned it's called HOMEWORK, to be done at HOME with the parent. I couldn't even begin to fit in afterschoolers homework with other children to organise with snacks and activities for the short time the're here.

SamWilliams1980
01-12-2010, 02:39 PM
I agree with it being HOME work too. If you are able to and want to fine, but shouldnt be made to feel bad about it. At the end of the day you are a child minder and ensuring the child it coping progressing etc in their education as important as that is, it should be a parents responsibility. I say that having sat both sides of the fence and yes time makes it hard, but tough! Childs education is the parents' and schools responsibility

SamWilliams1980
01-12-2010, 02:40 PM
or am i just harsh