PDA

View Full Version : early years team to go!!!!

kats
30-11-2010, 09:09 PM
I have just found out today that the surestart early years team in our area will be no more from April next year.Due to government cutbacks all the team will lose their jobs apart from a small number of them . It will mean that any training will have to be payed for by ourselves, i dont know about other areas of the country but we have always had our courses funded but most importantly we as childminders in this area will have no support from anybody as the team will be gone, they have been there for me so many times when i have had problems or when i have had an inspection due they have come out and advised on what to change or what to do differently. There will be nobody to get advise from so thank god for this forum :)

Winnie
30-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Where are you?
:panic:

kats
30-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Im just outside of Manchester !!

miffy
30-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Where are you?
:panic:

As above!!

Miffy xx

Mouse
30-11-2010, 09:29 PM
It's happening here as well. We're all in limbo waiting to see what's going to happen. Some of the childminding team have already been got rid of & it seems likely that more will go.

caz3007
30-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I dont know about our local team going, but our training book was extremely thin and not many courses in it. We now have to pay for our first aid, which was free earlier in the year

Heaven Scent
30-11-2010, 10:37 PM
I dont know about our local team going, but our training book was extremely thin and not many courses in it. We now have to pay for our first aid, which was free earlier in the year

Where are you????

Polly2
01-12-2010, 08:39 AM
I have just found out today that the surestart early years team in our area will be no more from April next year.Due to government cutbacks all the team will lose their jobs apart from a small number of them . It will mean that any training will have to be payed for by ourselves, i dont know about other areas of the country but we have always had our courses funded but most importantly we as childminders in this area will have no support from anybody as the team will be gone, they have been there for me so many times when i have had problems or when i have had an inspection due they have come out and advised on what to change or what to do differently. There will be nobody to get advise from so thank god for this forum :)

Welcome to my world :rolleyes:

When I was at the conference I was chatting to someone it was mentioned that this may happen in some areas as there is just no funding anymore. We talked about pulling funding from other organisations which is what I am trying to look into in my area.

Like you say - good job we have the forum! :thumbsup:

The Juggler
01-12-2010, 08:53 AM
our team only consists of 2 d.o's at present - one of those is responsible for group care and their manager who is manager of all EY functions. There's another manager for workforce development and her training team, I guess if there is no training being offered, they'll all go as well:panic: :panic:

caz3007
01-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Where are you????

West Sussex

Tups
01-12-2010, 11:40 AM
My first aid course is now £25 its been free other years and some courses we have to pay for now,

The Juggler
01-12-2010, 01:55 PM
My first aid course is now £25 its been free other years and some courses we have to pay for now,

i've never had a free one - the last one I went on cost me £85 and that was the cheapest I could find:rolleyes:

SamWilliams1980
01-12-2010, 02:20 PM
I think many areas are going this way, when i first registered about 2 and half months ago (yep V new) in Lincs, the ICP was free (well claim it back) and oyu only had to pay £50 (i think and like i said could claim back) But I moved pretty much as soon as i registered and in my area now the ICP (well the new online course that has replaced it ) is not even subsidised let alone fully funded and will cost me £158.00!!!

Beetlejuice
01-12-2010, 04:11 PM
I was at a conference this weekend and our childminding team leader said there would be cuts and their team would be decidedly smaller in the next year. Tbh I've not had a great deal of support from them and I've started arranging first aid courses with suitable providers for other minders in our area - even using our own houses to cut costs of hall hire! I've been paying for online training myself as courses have been arranged for things like food hygiene but miles away and I don't have access to a car at the weekend.

Winnie
01-12-2010, 04:26 PM
I was at a conference this weekend and our childminding team leader said there would be cuts and their team would be decidedly smaller in the next year. Tbh I've not had a great deal of support from them and I've started arranging first aid courses with suitable providers for other minders in our area - even using our own houses to cut costs of hall hire! I've been paying for online training myself as courses have been arranged for things like food hygiene but miles away and I don't have access to a car at the weekend.

Ah, we went to the same conference bj

............what is it????? :D

(btw i've been 'going it alone' for a while now as i'm not on a network anymore)

venus89
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
We're in Kent. When we got our last training mailing through it has 'this will be the last free training' all over it......

karensmart4
01-12-2010, 07:52 PM

We have had to pay £100 for ours this year, but we have always had to pay £60 plus!! :(

Strange though, our DO went on a recent course and amazingly there was funding available and it only cost her £17.50 :rolleyes:

teacake2
01-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I was lucky, I did my first aid last month and it was still free, but I don't think it will be for much longer, and as it is a vital course we all have to do I think there should still be help with it.
Teacake2

Suebb1
01-12-2010, 09:15 PM
We've always paid for first aid and most of our training, but have been heavily subsidised - noticed the training is starting to cost us more now.