PDA

View Full Version : Sensory trays.

Monkey1
14-04-2008, 05:06 AM
Has anyone got any other ideas for sensory trays/boxes?
We use:
cornflour,water, sand, dry pasta, cooked pasta, shaving foam, jelly, rainbow rice, oats.
getting bored with the same things, fancy something different!

miffy
14-04-2008, 05:57 AM
What about natural materials - sticks pebbles shells pine cones things like that

compost plant pots and artificial flowers

I've got a list somewhere of different things to use in a tuff spot pm me your email if you want it

miffy xx

Twinkles
14-04-2008, 08:37 AM
I've never used a sensory tray/box. Do you just put the oats/sand etc in the tray and let them dive in with just hands or do you put cups and pots or toys in as well.

tulip0803
14-04-2008, 10:48 AM
We have also used shells, shells with sand, sand with rainbow rice (children's idea), ice of different sizes, leaves, compost with buried things, sand and glitter cos it has a lovely effect when mark making, pebbles, oats and glitter whilst making reindeer food

tulip0803
14-04-2008, 10:49 AM
I've never used a sensory tray/box. Do you just put the oats/sand etc in the tray and let them dive in with just hands or do you put cups and pots or toys in as well.

I have done both. normally start with just feeling which for some children they will do for ages and then move on to pots and toys. hiding dinosaurs in the sand is good too.

miffy
14-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I use shredded paper too and hide animals in it for them to find - for the sea I used some blue irridescent shed and various blue/green paper and hid sea creatures anfd fish

miffy xx

sarah707
14-04-2008, 11:00 AM
I knew it was there somewhere! A massive thread from TES... :D

http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_id=2130517&path=/early+years/&threadPage=1&messagePage=1

Monkey1
14-04-2008, 11:19 AM
What about natural materials - sticks pebbles shells pine cones things like that

compost plant pots and artificial flowers

I've got a list somewhere of different things to use in a tuff spot pm me your email if you want it

miffy xx

Yes please Miffy!

Monkey1
14-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I knew it was there somewhere! A massive thread from TES... :D

http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_id=2130517&path=/early+years/&threadPage=1&messagePage=1

Thank you Sarah x

Minnie Minx
14-04-2008, 11:23 AM
fir cones, leaves, non poisionus seeds (you can get quite big seeds), feathers, hairbrush etc

xxx

Monkey1
14-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Thank you! I have a big bag of bird seeds that i bought yesterday to make bird feeders, they can play with it first!:D

allinatiz
14-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Another big list here

www.childfun.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=147

miffy
15-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Another big list here

www.childfun.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=147

Thankyou

miffy xx

Kelly
15-04-2008, 07:36 AM
I like ice, if you add herbs like mint and lavender as the ice melts the smell is really strong. you can use cubes or just tupperware pots. My LO's spnd ages playing when we do this activitiy.

Kelly

Monkey1
15-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Thank you!

Rubybubbles
15-04-2008, 12:40 PM
excellent ideas on here:thumbsup:

But how do you make rainbow rice?:o

Monkey1
15-04-2008, 12:42 PM
You just add food colouring to water, cover the rice with it leave for a couple of mins, drain and leave to dry!

Rubybubbles
15-04-2008, 12:44 PM
You just add food colouring to water, cover the rice with it leave for a couple of mins, drain and leave to dry!

:o oh thanks I feel dumb now, is it the same for coloured pasta then?:o

sarah707
15-04-2008, 12:45 PM
But how do you make rainbow rice?:o

Put handfull of rice in little trays (the ones from Chinese take-aways are good) and add food colouring... stir and leave the rice to soak up the colouring...

We use it for making collages along with different seeds or for playing with in the messy tray. The other week I did an experiment using it like coloured sand and filling a small baby food bottle with different layers, but both children shook them up (well one copied the other who can get a bit silly sometimes :rolleyes: ) so I wasn't sure if it was a success or not! :D

Rubybubbles
15-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Put handfull of rice in little trays (the ones from Chinese take-aways are good) and add food colouring... stir and leave the rice to soak up the colouring...

We use it for making collages along with different seeds or for playing with in the messy tray. The other week I did an experiment using it like coloured sand and filling a small baby food bottle with different layers, but both children shook them up (well one copied the other who can get a bit silly sometimes :rolleyes: ) so I wasn't sure if it was a success or not! :D

any excuse for a chinese then hehe!! Saves buying special tubs thanks

ma7ie
15-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks for you ideas ladies. I'm going to do this when Ofsted come this week. I've got a washing up bowl and put in red lentils, dried peas, yellow split peas, pasta bows, spaghetti, tagliatele, just made some rainbow rice, rubber ice cube tray, whisk, bowls, spoons - metal and wood, beaker, cake cases and a pickled onion spoon.

Just going to put a load of plastic sheeting on the living room floor and let the kids explore. I have done this on a smaller scale before with Poppy but think "T" 18mths will probably enjoy playing with it too.

Do you think Ofsted will have any problems with him playing with such small things? Don't want to be accused of offering choking hazards to young children.:D

Monkey1
15-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Think they will be impressed hun!

sarah707
15-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Show you've risk assessed and stay close to the riskiest child... get them to help clean up after as well... lots of learning experiences in common household tasks!

Sounds like great fun!:D

christine e
15-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi
Have you tried the instant snow powder from www.tts-group.co.uk children love playing in the snow as many of them havn't had much opportunity of playing with the real stuff!
Christine

miffy
17-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi
Have you tried the instant snow powder from www.tts-group.co.uk children love playing in the snow as many of them havn't had much opportunity of playing with the real stuff!
Christine

Thanks Christine
just went to have a look at that - got side-tracked when I noticed the clearance bit

miffy xx

christine e
17-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks Christine
just went to have a look at that - got side-tracked when I noticed the clearance bit

miffy xx

What clearance bit????? Going to have a look now Miffy. You are gonna have to help me come up with a new name for myself Christine sounds so boring with all these other names floating around!

Christine

miffy
19-04-2008, 09:23 PM
I bought some of the snow powder today at the manchester exhibition - thank you

miffy xx

hello kitty
20-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Stupid question - do you use cooked rice when adding the food colouring or raw rice?!?!?!?!

miffy
20-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Stupid question - do you use cooked rice when adding the food colouring or raw rice?!?!?!?!

I usually use raw but you could use cooked

miffy xx