PDA

View Full Version : Up to me to check school closures then?!

snufflepuff
30-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Mindees Mum said this morning if the school closes because of the snow would I be able to have LO all day. I said it would probably be fine (there are a few days over the next few weeks when I have plans so wouldn't be able to work all day)
She went on to say that if we get to school and it's closed then I can just bring him back here. She actually expects me and her son to walk all there way there to find out. With 2 one year olds in the buggy getting freezing cold. It takes just under an hour to walk there and back in normal weather so god knows how long in snow! Why on earth can't she find out in advance if the school is open or not?! And what if it happens to be a day that I cant keep him all day?!

It's a small world
30-11-2010, 04:52 PM
My son came home with a letter saying theres a website 'ismyschoolclosed' it tells you if schools open or not.

I checked today out of curiosity and noticed my afterschoolers was closed due to a burst pipe (didnt have them yday)...wondered when I would get told. Parent called me at 8.20 to inform me and that she is off work ill so will keep mindees with her :clapping: :clapping:

Not sure if its just our area...I know we shouldnt have to find out and parents should inform us but maybe worth checking yourself to save you going out in the cold.... Im lucky parent thought to tell me in advance..:clapping:

PixiePetal
30-11-2010, 05:14 PM
my sons senior school sends email alerts if you register with them. Have registered so we will see :)

also local county council website/local radio/local radio website. Not saying you should be doing all this - ask the parent to check :thumbsup:

crazyhazy
30-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Here any school closures are on the radio so I'd prob know before a parent at work with no radio access, it's only if they are closing early they'll call parents. Our school has also issued a letter asking parents not to call the school before 9am and to listen to radio for updates, luckily I live next door so parents do tend to ask me if it's open but all i need to do is look outside for signs of life lol

aly
30-11-2010, 05:56 PM
our alerts are via the council website too, it states each school and their deecision etc.

FussyElmo
30-11-2010, 06:22 PM
We now get text alerts however tbf to your mum sometimes these dont come till you have already left for school :rolleyes:

Theyare also pretty rubbish at letting the radio stations know as well.

Think your mum could do with trying to find out the info but in fairness it could mean that she doesnt know. Have you tried registering with the school for their alerts due the distance it is away

michellethegooner
30-11-2010, 07:24 PM
We now get text alerts however tbf to your mum sometimes these dont come till you have already left for school :rolleyes:

Theyare also pretty rubbish at letting the radio stations know as well.

Think your mum could do with trying to find out the info but in fairness it could mean that she doesnt know. Have you tried registering with the school for their alerts due the distance it is away

that true, I got a text at 9.20am this morning telling me school was shut :eek: , thankfully I hadn't sent my ds, he would have had to leave at 8am and come straight back, wasn't very happy with school, but out of their control apparently pipe burst at around 9am, so there was no details on their website/local radio till after 9am in this instance it wouldn't be the parents fault.

we had it last yr we didnt find out schools were closed till we got there, really depends on if all the staff can get in

Lady Haha
30-11-2010, 08:59 PM
The title of this thread made me laugh cos I thought somethign similar this morning!

It was 7.30am and I was just finishing my coffee before going up to get my son up (only have mindees after school) when the phone went. Its mum of one of my mindees asking if the school was closed today???? Don't even have him on a Tuesday!

We had a cm of snow:rolleyes:

I said I would imagine it was open, but I wasn't 100% sure! She said 'oh, I thought I'd ring you, cos you always seem to know these things'. So then I said I'd check and would ring her if it was closed, but if she didn't hear back from me to assume its open.

Put the phone down and thought 'hang on! What just happened there!!! Am I the local information service or something?':laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

snufflepuff
30-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Put the phone down and thought 'hang on! What just happened there!!! Am I the local information service or something?'

Hehe! I'd probably do the same...

SandCastles
30-11-2010, 10:29 PM
My local primary school sends out txt alerts, email alerts and has its own "is school open" telephone number to call which a recorded message is played and updated.
I look after 5 children from that school and each parent has put my details down as emergency contact number 3 (which I am happy about) but it means I get 5 x txt & 5 x emails.

glitzygal
30-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I dont have young kids at the schools i pick up from, so i always listen to the radio in morns, preparing the days things,

i then hear if schools are shut, or i get a text from parents, so i know where i am, and who i will have.

One school by me has closed for illness, they are deep cleaning school, 3 days off.

so i have few children i dont normaly have, other minders have no space, so i am having them,. great fun, and i feel VERY helpfull.:thumbsup: